Quantcast

Dump those "energy" drinks.

D.2

Monkey
Jun 17, 2010
Medway, MA
It seems that the book is recommending that atheletes be aware of overhydration, not energy drinks in particular. I think it is dangerous to to over-simplify this issue. People are different and there is a much greater danger of people dying from dehydration than from overhydration. For example, I noticed that you don't sweat nearly as much as I do. You probably need to pay attention to overhydration. I on the other hand, sweat like a pig. I can't seem to get enough hydration and I doubt I need to worry much about overhydration unless of course we are talking about beer consumption.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
It seems that the book is recommending that atheletes be aware of overhydration, not energy drinks in particular. I think it is dangerous to to over-simplify this issue. People are different and there is a much greater danger of people dying from dehydration than from overhydration. For example, I noticed that you don't sweat nearly as much as I do. You probably need to pay attention to overhydration. I on the other hand, sweat like a pig. I can't seem to get enough hydration and I doubt I need to worry much about overhydration unless of course we are talking about beer consumption.
Depends on either persons uptake of essential minerals.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
koolaid.jpg

Mango Koolaid. If its good enough for the Puerto Ricans I work with, then its good enough for me.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
For every one guy that got too much water in the army there were about 1000 guys that were dehydrated. One time I didn't get enough electrolytes while I was on a road march with a machine gun and I cramped up and couldn't move for a while. Was drinking that day, but the lack of electrolytes caught me completely off guard.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I lost 4 lbs in an hour ride today. Plain water may work fine in cooler weather, but it doesn't cut it in Texas summer heat.

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I always assume that advice is aimed at the soccer mom who drinks 4 Gatorades and a Red-Bull because she has a Pilates class. Working out for 30 minutes in an air conditioned gym is really, really different from a 20 mile ride with 3k feet of climbing in 80 degree heat.

I drink a lot of water, but when I'm riding in the heat, I can never seem to stay ahead of it, and notice a huge difference if I add a couple Gatorades or some Power-gel to the mix. I can get to the point where I have to pee with water, but will still feel like sh1t the next day. Start replacing the electrolytes, and all is right with the world. I do agree that sports drinks alone are a bad idea, they know people don't drink enough, so there's too much of everything in them, I either alternate with water, or use the powdered Gatorade so I can mix it half strength.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
last race I entered I drank six sixteen ounce beers before the start.

I didn't finish as well as normal, but I finished.

Didn't need to drink any water during the race either.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
I lost 4 lbs in an hour ride today. Plain water may work fine in cooler weather, but it doesn't cut it in Texas summer heat.
I put nothing but water in my camelback. But I do carry endurolyte pills and usually have shot blocks as well, but most of the time, just water is fine.

The problem with energy drinks is they give energy to the wrong people. They are like douchebag accelerators.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
This issue is cut and dry for me riding in the heat in the South and I have tested it many times. I can do a long hard ride drinking nothing but water to the point where I cramp hard. Then, I can do the same ride with Elete electrolytes in my water, and I don't cramp. Tested in the field, not in a book. ;)
That Elete stuff I use is nothing but pure liquid electrolytes that I put in my camelbak. No sugars or other crap that they put in sports drinks. I get my calories from food, but using that stuff helps me significantly, and keeps my friends from having to carry me out of the woods again.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Interesting to see very little mention of the replenishment you can get from eating the right foods on the trail. Water can be enough if you do it right. That said, one the best things I learned long ago is a that a slow, steady drip of fluid and food is the way for me to stay on top of a long ride. So I use the camelbak elixir tablets on longer rides, and frequently eat a gel or a few shot blocks (along with stopping for something more substantial like a bar or a sandwich). Eat and drink early and often and you give yourself the best chance of finishing strong.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I don't sweat at all. or, very very little. I've never been able to squeeze my helmet and have sweat drain out of it.

If I go to a bikram yoga class, I'll sweat.

raydenmduff

Chimp
Sep 6, 2013
The problem with energy drinks is that it can wake you up so much that it makes your heart go pumping so much!!!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
In really hot weather electrolytes are effective against cramping in the years I've used them. I can't keep anything down heavier than clif bloks or energy gels but I rarely need those unless its a longer ride. I've used the pills and powdered versions but eventually settled on Emergen-C Electro Mix - $6 worth (30 packets) should last you at least a month. Depending on the weather and if I take a full 100 oz, 1-3 packets total. 1 packet is usually fine though.