Quantcast

Dump your fiance? Pay up

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I made lots of promises to get girls in the sack, should I be worried?

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/16966088/detail.html

HALL COUNTY, Ga. -- The jury has awarded a Hall County woman $150,000 after she sued her former fiance for calling their wedding off.

RoseMary Shell sued her ex-fiance, Wayne Gibbs, after he broke off their engagement in 2007.

Shell argued her fiance's promise of marital bliss amounted to a binding contract. She said she left a high-paying job in Florida to be with Gibbs and she said she has suffered financial losses since their break-up. She also said she has suffered emotionally.

Gibbs testified that he had taken Shell on trips and paid $30,000 of her debt while they were engaged. He said when he found out she had even more debt, he canceled the wedding by leaving Shell a note in their bathroom.

Closing arguments were heard Wednesday morning and the jury awarded Shell $150,000 by Wednesday afternoon.

"People shouldn't be allowed to do that and hopefully he'll think twice before he does it to someone else," said Shell.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I gave a girl a $2500 ring that I didn't get back when we didn't get married. An engagement is actually the man's property if no marriage takes place.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Or countersued to get back the debt he paid off.
I'm curious to find out if she made any attempts to hide the total amount of her debt. Hiding the true amount of debt could be taken as misrepresentation or some other legal term uknown to me.

Irregaurdlessly, no way he pays up.