Quantcast

Dun dun dun ... another one bites the dust (frame) ...

Blieb

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
In Yo Face!
Last 1/2 mile of a 3 hr ride yesterday, I stand up to power up a climb, and "POP" ... followed by bad chain rubbing. Only it wasn't my chain rubbing, it was my chain ring touching the rear tubing of my frame :|, which is hanging down, completely busted at the weld ...

Soooo my Epic's rear triangle is cracked. Which of course is under warranty. But how does that work? Will they just replace rear triangle? Is it at the discretion of the shop how much gets replaced?

I'm thinking maybe a pivot point could be damaged, but I really didn't inspect, I was just laughing my ass off that I cracked the frame ... thankfully it happened 1/2 mile from my house instead of somewhere in the middle of our ride!

Anyone crack a triangle on one of these bad boys?

TIA,
-Blieb

Mumbles

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
go back to the dealer you got it from and they should be able to call specialized and they'll figure out what needs to be replaced. it often depends on what exactly broke.. but that sucks about your frame!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
The first step is contact your Specialized dealer and show them the problem. Specialized has always handled warranty issues very well in my shop experience. What gets replaced depends on the individual case. It sounds like they might sned you a rear swingarm, but it might be a whole frame depending on any design changes and color matching problems. (they can't keep a huge collection of every color combo per model).

Good luck, I'm sure they will take care of you.

Blieb

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
In Yo Face!
in the side shot, you can see the big ring touching the arm ...

in one of the shots of underneath, you can see this really cool split, it looks like a "tear" in the aluminum!

Mumbles and Zark ... of course I'm goin' there tomorrow when they open (closed Mondays). I'm a regular ... I was just curious if any of you guys knew. I figured they could just do a rear triangle ... but a new S-Works frame sounds nice ... :dancing:

Attachments

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Specialized has always been good to me on warranty.

Damn they even warranted my 2000 S-works DH I bought in another country when it was three and a half years old beaten up and finally cracked in the seat tower and head tube. Thought they'd laugh at me for sure.

Better than alot of other companies I could name.

Blieb

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
In Yo Face!
Got her back yesterday! Finally!

They ended up just replacing the wishbone piece of the frame that snapped. I was kind of hoping for a whole new frame, but hey, I can ride again! woohooo!!!

Haven't had a chance to really feel it ... but hopefully I won't know the difference :)

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Blieb said:
Got her back yesterday! Finally!

They ended up just replacing the wishbone piece of the frame that snapped. I was kind of hoping for a whole new frame, but hey, I can ride again! woohooo!!!

Haven't had a chance to really feel it ... but hopefully I won't know the difference :)

congrats!