Quantcast

Duncon Cocker - Which size? Alternatives?

Hi all,

A buddy has offered me a Cocker frame to build a new bike, well, I must admit that after thinking about it for a while, I have begun to like the whole aluminium excess idea. :D
I have googled without much luck about this frame, so I hope I'll have better luck here before buying something just for the fancy looks.

First, I'm not sure about size. The Cocker is avilable in 14" and 16" (geo is in the attached pic), and I'm not sure if any of those would fit me -180cm high, with about 76-78cm of inseam- I'm worried that any of them would feel like riding a bmx down a slope.

My friend is not sure about the size of his frame either, so his given me a couple of numbers; 51.5cm for the red line and 60cm for the green one (in the same pic as before). I've also included a pic of my old gravity sledge for reference; the red line measures 57cm. That bike was slightly small, but just right for me. A bit unpleasant to cycle to the trail, but going down it was quite agile and maneuverable, which is what I wanted. So, how do you see it? Can this frame work for me?

I would also like to know how does it work in the woods. I know it's damn heavy, but apart from that, how does it's geo work when going down or freeriding around? Do you know of similar bikes worth a look?
Thanks! :thumb:

Attachments

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Some time ago it was a very popular frame on the DH race sceene here. It may be on the short side but it can take abuse and people have had some good results on it. If its a deal and it is much cheaper than its british fr hardtail counterparts it might be a good idea.

Some time ago it was a very popular frame on the DH race sceene here. It may be on the short side but it can take abuse and people have had some good results on it. If its a deal and it is much cheaper than its british fr hardtail counterparts it might be a good idea.
It's not strange that you saw many of those frames; after all, DC bikes are designed (but probably made in Taiwan :D) in your own country, aren't they? :thumb: I've yet to see one in person in my area, though.

I'm pretty confident it can take some beating, because if it doesn't with such an overkill amount of metal, then it's a really crappy frame. My main concern, as I said, was about geo and size. I've found a couple of brief tests and seems to work quite well but not perfect due to weight (I can cope with that), but there's not much help regarding size. It seems like few people have this frame, and even less use the internet. :D

Have fun!