Quantcast

Dungeness/Gold Creek

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
18 miles 4200' cumulative vert

By far the best mt. bike rides on the Olympic Peninsula. The Northeast corner of the Olympic Mountain Range. Valleys are cut sharp across this range as the steep mountain rise above making viewpoints scarce, as you are immersed in deep forest.

The trail starts you out climbin and is pretty relentless and steep.

After alot of work you do get to break out for a nice viewpoint. We were socked in with cloud cover pretty good, but the pack wasn't complaining. Nice cool weather is always more comfortable to ride in than climbing in hot.

After a big climb you drop back down towards the river, where the trail meanders along carpets of moss.

Nice spot for a break.

Water running cold and fast from the snow melting on the upper peaks.

Yansheng here is from Singapore in town as an exchange student at the UW. i met him at a Colonnade work party and that was before he even owned a mt. bike. He was extremely inquisitive about it, and before you know it he purchased a bike and i subsequently rode with him 2 more times on shorter club rides. He really was a natural, and i really encouraged and gave him a ton of tips which he fast absorbed.

This section used to be a tricky climb, but it got quite a bit more difficult with recent erosion.

My profile on the club website has a shot of me on a high mountain ride, and he asked me that if i could recommend a trail like that before he returned home (which he's doing soon). It's still early in the season with alot of snow on many trails, but i knew this ride would be serve well to give him a great backcountry experience.

And here's Snake Pliskin, he really has a bad tendency to overuse his back brake and skid. He simply doesn't absorb good fundamental tips like Yansheng. You just can't teach some people, he'll skid and skid and skid until the dirt police come beat down his door and confiscate his tires.

A good ole fashuned "trail ride" is hardly complete without a prototypical forest road climb. Shooting out of the river trail there is a 4 mile climb to the bench cut high exposure descent. Sucking alot of wind where the trailhead was always "just around the next bend", we finally make it to the goods.

Normally i wouldn't take a newb on a trail like this. Not very technical, but still high consequence in some sections. The tree's and clouds obscure the fall but it's probably just as high as Porcupine Rim. But Yansheng handled it like a champ and was euphoric in his happiness on this ride. He was super tired near the end, but totally stoked and satisfied with the ride, so success for me. Always happy to share the goodness.

After such a quality ride, yummy burgers await at Fat Smitty's where the burgers really are as big as advertised. We're talking mucho cow man.... And so a new name was given as i looked to my side. Not only does Snake have a knack for skidding but the man can put away a huge burger. After seeing him literally unhinge his jaw and swallow the cow, the name was cemented. Now he just needs to ride around with an eyepatch.

After signing our names to a Singapore 2 dollar bill that we tacked to the wall, we all left in a good way, having shared in good times.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
nice picturas, skookum. do i spy photoshop work in bringing up the shadows on the 2nd shot?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
nice picturas, skookum. do i spy photoshop work in bringing up the shadows on the 2nd shot?
Yup, just on the riders upper half. Did it quick and without trackball since i'm running off a laptop now. It is a pretty poor job, i'll be a little more subtle on future pics.:monkey:

Thanks for the compliments, even though it's more for fun, i still honestly try to get good shots.

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
Good to see you're getting in some good riding lately, love to see the great reports and awesome pictures. The trails around here have been super dry the last month. Trying to ride as much as possible, but with a one month old baby at home, a couple times a week is all I can manage.

I did the Lower Dungeness trail when I was visiting WA...pretty challenging ride but sweet singletrack. The Olympic Penninsula is just amazing.