Quantcast

Dura-Ace BB w/ XT Arms?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Does anyone know if the new Shimano XT Hollowtech II Arms are compatible with Dura-Ace BB's? I just noticed that my BB was shot and the Dura-Ace version is supposedly stiffer, lighter, and has better seals. (I don't know if this is the right place to post this :rolleyes: )

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
So you're saying these cups are compatible with old XTR Octalink splined arms? :think: I talked to the LBS owner and he called Shimano. They said that the Dura-Ace Hollowtech BB's won't work with Hollowtech XT arms because of the different spacing (double and triple cranks).

Attachments

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I think the raceface external BB work with Shimano cranks. You'll have to call someone at RF to find out which ones.

J

JRB

hucker13 said:
Has anyone tried the Race Face BB? If it has better seals, I may be interested.
I hear they suck. I would look at FSA if they will fit.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
loco said:
I hear they suck. I would look at FSA if they will fit.
The only thing I heard that sucks about the RF system is the crankarm fixing system if you like to take you cranks on and off a lot. It would be cool if there was a comparison somewhere of all these external BBs if they work with each other...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The RF BB WILL work with Shimano mountain arms. If I already have Shimano arms, then I could use those arms with the good crankarm system and the good RF BB.

J

J5ive

They all work. I've had dura ace on XT, XT on ultegra, Raceface on hone.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
J5ive said:
They all work. I've had dura ace on XT, XT on ultegra, Raceface on hone.
So what is your favorite external BB for each application (Road, XC, Trail, FR, DH, etc..)

J

J5ive

They are all the same from what I can tell. I've had a diablous and dura ace appart, both just use standard looking cartridge bearings. Always just grabbed the one that happened to be in the shop at the time and went best with the bike..