Quantcast

dura ace cassette?

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
Anyone using dura ace cassette on his DH bike?
It’s light. And I'm planning to put one on my next new wheels...
Will I need a special chain? Or can I just use a regular chain?
And is there a light chain that I can use to save more weight?

Thanks

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Anyone using dura ace cassette on his DH bike?
It’s light. And I'm planning to put one on my next new wheels...
Will I need a special chain? Or can I just use a regular chain?
And is there a light chain that I can use to save more weight?

Thanks
I've used one for a while now. You can find some good deals on the 11-21 and 11-23 ones in 9spd, since most people using high end roadie stuff have jumped up to 10spd. No special chain is needed. I personally use a pc-990 hollowpin which is the lightest 9spd chain SRAM makes, never had a problem.

I am gonna be running the Dura Ace cassettes this year on my dh bike. THey are light and you never have to worry about them. The other thing I like about them is my shop has a bunch of Dura Ace Cassette parts, so if i wear a few cogs out I can replace them instead of the whole cassette

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
DA works fine for DH bikes, no special chain required unless you set it up with a ten speed. Personally I think the DA cassette is a little too much money for what your saving, there are other placed on your bike the money would be better spent

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
the rotation repercussions of the cassette, hub and the lower 2/3's on the spokes is absolutely insignificant in comparison to the nipples, rim, and outer third of the spokes.

i have run an older XTR cass in the past and had problems with the ti cogs bending over due to stress. i would not want to have problem like that on a race run. go with the ultergra cass and have steel cogs all the way. they are stronger, they wear longer, and they don't look different (not that this is always a bad thing).

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
I ran a DA all last season on the east coast.
Worked like a champ!
Never going back to anything else.
The close range and quick shifts, while doing away with all of the lame ass upper gears that got no use was worth the change.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Dont get me wrong, the gear range is great, 11/13 or 12/25 is a great gearset to have dor DH. Its just the cost of DA VS Ult is just too hi or myself to justify.

Examples, 9sp DA from Pricepoint 129.98 weight 180 g

9 sp Ult from pricepoint 69.98 240 grams

Thats a dollar a gram your saving. Yes its rotational weight, but its at the center of the wheel, we are talking .13 of a lb nominal weight.

save your 60 bucks for a lighter wheel overall, you will be alot happier. my thoughts on it anyways, unless you just have alot of money to burn

Dr. Ill

Monkey
Nov 29, 2005
you can ge tused sh t off eaby fer cheap.
I got my dura-ace cassette for 40 bucks bairly used.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
I have to say I wouldn't splash out that amount of money on a cassette unless I was good enough to race World Cups. I'd also guess that the rotational weight argument isn't the best because it's so close to the hub, but could it be justified with the cassette being unsprung mass, maybe 0.01% increase in suspension performance? :)

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
That is very true, the prices on ebay are a pretty good deal, My onl problem with that is that you are taking teh chance of gettin something thats already worn out. Personal choice here I guess, I just want new when it comes to my cassette's