Quantcast

Dura-Ace triple rear derailleur

J

JRB

I picked one up yesterday for $45. I honestly thought it was a double, but it is not. :( What drawbacks are there to running it opposed to running my Ultegra short cage??? Should I swap the cage??? I kind of hate to do that on a brand new derailleur. Should I throw it on the cross bike??? Should I give it to Julie and sell the Ultegra I bought her??? Help a brutha out.

J

JRB

I wonder if it will be more crisp than the ultegra double with 5000 miles on it.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Slightly heavier, not as precise of a shift (thought I'd be surprised if you noticed it), and it isn't as compact as a shortcage.

But it should work fine. If you are that worried about it just throw it on another bike. I wouldn't really consider it that big of an issue though.

The Ito

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
what is your cassette range? If you are running a 21, it would probably shift a little sloppy. a 27 would be cool.

J

JRB

I have a 23 presently with compact cranks. I run a 25 on occasion, and do own a 27, so I am thinking it is fine. Worst case, I guess I can swap cages.

Thanks guys.

J

JRB

LordOpie said:
just use it unless you're a snob... then get the 'exact' right part.
I am a snob, but I may as well run it. I may take those chainwheels for pulleys off.

splat

Nam I am
It is going to have a Longer cage. which will make shifting a little less close, and slower. it will also mean you will need to run a little longer chain or have greater tention on the chain. Personally I'd run with it.

5000 Miles on an Ultrgra ? Thats Nothing !! On my older road Bike , I have an ultegra that has over 30000 Miles on it and it still works great. Either one will treat you fine.

where did you find a DA so cheap ?

J

JRB

splat said:
<snip>
where did you find a DA so cheap ?
I got to tag along to an open house with the shop owner. I got it cheap, a set of Deore M555 hydro brakes for $55, some Tioga tires for cheap, and some Open Pro/Ultegra 6600/DT 14g wheels for just over $100. I hate to give up prices, but I got pretty close to $900 worth of stuff for just over $350. All stuff I didn't need, but you can't buy top end Shimano every day for wholesale prices. Julie now has a full ultegra bike, except for her 105 triple. Well - her shifters are the R600 short reach too. They are supposed to be Ultegra guts I think though.

J

JRB

I don't know what a 6800 is, but maybe so. I put it on, and it shifts nicely on the stand, but I haven't actually ridden it yet.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Sorry, Ultegra short cage, the new model. I got it for my DH project but it might be too short. I'm running a shortie for my Tomac and it's works ok, but I think the longer cage might help a bit... Anyway, it was a thought

J

JRB

Pau11y said:
Sorry, Ultegra short cage, the new model. I got it for my DH project but it might be too short. I'm running a shortie for my Tomac and it's works ok, but I think the longer cage might help a bit... Anyway, it was a thought
Let me take one spin on it and I will let you know. If the chain is the slightest bit sloppy, I'll work a deal out. Can you send me an email and I'll get with you by the weekend?