Quantcast

durability of wooden jumps

Jul 29, 2009
hi
i live in an area that is quite wet part of the year
how long would a wooden ramp last?
if i use marine plywood and wood protection paint?

i was thinking of using a plastic ground protection mat for the arc
(the kind used to protect the ground from being ruined from excavators - but in recycled plastic, not iron)
its supposed to be almost not slippery in the wet
but it is more expensive than plywood

thanks
rasmus

ps does a ramp need a deck of a certain length in order not to tip over when jumped? or can i eliminate the deck?

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
if the wood is protected properly, it will last a long long time. Remember many leisure yachts and skiffs etc are made of wood, and they last for a dang long time in very corrosive environments. Get marine grade coatings and you will be golden for a long time.
I wonder if one can use rubber for the ramp face.

as for tipping over, brace on the opposing face and/or weight it down.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
The skatepark I've been riding recently has some sort of rubber coating on the ramps. It's fantastic to ride on. Don't know what it's called, but It's definitely something you can get.

if the wood is protected properly, it will last a long long time. Remember many leisure yachts and skiffs etc are made of wood, and they last for a dang long time in very corrosive environments. Get marine grade coatings and you will be golden for a long time.
I wonder if one can use rubber for the ramp face.

as for tipping over, brace on the opposing face and/or weight it down.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
trails with wood launches and dirt landings. def a style that some would hate on.... but this video is good enough to give pause. maybe not such a bad idea. you could move the launches around for different hip and distance possbilities etc. hmmmmmm.

http://vimeo.com/14573536

Last edited: