Quantcast

Durango Colorado

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Hey, i'm looking to take a vacation out to Durango this year, but on the website I couldn't find any pictures of the trails. Now i know they have a national event there, but i went to Mt Snow this year (not during nationals) and was dissapointed, finding 0 DH trails (and i was looking in the right place). So does anyone know if Durango is like a DH place and has real DH trails and if they're worth going to all the way from New Jersey (cross the country)?? If you have pictures or ride in Durango please PM, Instant Message, or E-mail me.
Thanks,
Jon S

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
the ncs course last year was the best trail I have EVER ridden.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I can still feel that drop to huge berm in my bones if i shut my eyes. brrrraaaapp.

I don't think the ncs course is open to ride though. :(

T0mo

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
nedtown, colorado
I don't know what durango has to offer, but silverton (fairly close I think) supposedly has some sick trails that can be had for the low low price of $15 per day.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Durango is EPIC EPIC EPIC XC riding everywhere, but pretty scarce on DH I believe. I have heard of wicked shuttles down there, but have not been told if they are legal or no, nor have I ridden them. Yeah, I'm a lot of stinking help, I know.

Silverton is (allegedly) down for the DH cause, and I've heard the trails there are KILLER. It's not far from Durango, maybe an hour-ish?

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
Silverton is one trail,it is easy but epic,worth checkin out,maybe more since last year.Telluride is the spot,but, without somone showing you around forget it.Durango had DH besides the national course but I didn't see it.Goodd luck.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
there's some *great* xc trails in durango; i spent 7 days riding there in '99 and it is definitely way way up there on the list of places i've ridden (which is fairly extensive). also, since myles, elke brutsaert and missy live (or lived) there, there has to be good DH stuff. but finding it might be a bit tougher.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
hmm this is not good news, i'm not looking to travel that far, for only one DH trail, if the course is open and they got a bunch of other trails though, i would be interested in going keep the responses coming! thanks!---idk about going to silverton---i'm not that interested in XC

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I went there last year for vacation (4 days) but didn't ride. I did talk to the local bike shop and they told me of some long DHs from the pass down into Durango. Look on the internet for a phone # to the bike shop and give them a call. They will fill you in.

There are a few guys on the list from Durango.....

Originally posted by Full Trucker
I have heard of wicked shuttles down there, but have not been told if they are legal or no, nor have I ridden them. Yeah, I'm a lot of stinking help, I know.
well i spent a year there and there is totaly some DH to do. its mostly shuttle and if you go to telluride you can ride the gondola for free. for the lowdown on the trails to ride and some people to ride with check out pedal the peaks bike shop its right down town on main and college.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I have been to Durango and Teluride (driven through Silverton to get to one from the other) When I was in Durango we shuttled 2 trails on our XC bikes that I still dream of riding.

1) Hermosa Creek - not very technical, but if you shuttle it is about 27 miles of going DownHill and 3 miles of climbing in the middle. Like I said not very technical and could be done on any bike.
2) Kenneback Pass - If you shuttle this trail you step out of the truck at 11,700 feet and descend BACK TO TOWN ~ 6500 feet. I believe it was 27 miles with a climb some where in the middle. This is the BEST TRAIL I have ever ridden Period. I cannot wait to go back and do this trail on my Heckler. The more travel you have the faster you can go. Again mostly XC + oriented but we saw a # of people freaking FLYING by us on DH bikes. Personally I wouldn't want to push a big big bike up the climb that is in the middle, but certainly doable.

Combine these trails with ANY DH only trails and you would have a blast.

Here is a picture of the first thing you have to cross on Kenneback Pass. The camera is tilted slightly

Teluride is fun and you can find some of the "local" trails just by keeping an eye out while riding the Gondola up

Attachments

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I too have done some riding there, mostly XC. We rode the Colorado trail up and back about 20 miles total. But then we drove out the dirt road that starts at the Colorado trail trailhead. We drove up about 15-18 miles or so. At one point there is a marked side road on the left that crosses the Colorado trail way up in the mtns. You could shuttle that, it would be like 15-20 miles of DH back to the trailhead. That might be fun? Telluride is not too far and as far as I know they run the gondola all day until 8pm for free! When we were there they had a world cup course but not anymore...jusa cupple a' ideers fer ya.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Originally posted by punkassean
I too have done some riding there, mostly XC. We rode the Colorado trail up and back about 20 miles total. But then we drove out the dirt road that starts at the Colorado trail trailhead. We drove up about 15-18 miles or so. At one point there is a marked side road on the left that crosses the Colorado trail way up in the mtns. You could shuttle that, it would be like 15-20 miles of DH back to the trailhead. That might be fun?
we did that section of the colorado trail, from sliderock? yeah, a shuttle, virtually all downhill. good stuff, fun times!

the hall/pinkerton-flagstaff/dutch creek ride was my fave ride out there; it was just to the east of hermosa (starts at the bottom of the hermosa carpark). great ride.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by narlus
we did that section of the colorado trail, from sliderock? yeah, a shuttle, virtually all downhill. good stuff, fun times!
Yeah there was huge rock slide up there at the top, man it was perdy in them thar hills!