Quantcast

Dutch Cyclists want airbags on the OUTSIDE of cars

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Due to the continuing evolution of safety standards, high speed car-on-car impacts have made life better for everyone inside the cars. Now, even pedestrians get love from some car makers in the form of hoods that pop up when the car senses a pedestrian impact, so that the walker doesn't hit the engine block. Now, the Dutch Cycling Federation wants to know: what about us? The federation is asking for exterior airbags to protect cyclists in collisions with cars.

Linky

I'm going with.... not really going to help.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
The only solution for anyone so concerned is air bags on the cyclist himself... like paragliders are now using for failures.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The only solution for anyone so concerned is air bags on the cyclist himself... like paragliders are now using for failures.
They have a few designs for motorcycles already. A Japanese company started making them for sport bikes years ago and Dainese is doing them now too.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
They have a few designs for motorcycles already. A Japanese company started making them for sport bikes years ago and Dainese is doing them now too.
Correct.

And cuz of that, some idiots here are proposing seatbelts for motorcycles.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Are you saying that bikes should have seatbelts?
No, I was implying that the idiots that want this deserve to be cut in half at the waist from having a seatbelt on a motorcycle. This plays into the whole "survival of the fittest" concept. These people are not mentally fit, and therefore will not survive. I have no intentions of preventing them from removing themselves from the gene pool.

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
No, I was implying that the idiots that want this deserve to be cut in half at the waist from having a seatbelt on a motorcycle. This plays into the whole "survival of the fittest" concept. These people are not mentally fit, and therefore will not survive. I have no intentions of preventing them from removing themselves from the gene pool.
The sign above my desk reads:

"The problem with people is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety lables off everything and let the problem solve itself?"

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver

"The problem with people is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety lables off everything and let the problem solve itself?"
Since we're going there...

Have y'all seen the new Burger King commercial where an idiot slams into the car infront of him in the drive-thru so he can get his crap burger that much faster?

In small type at the bottom of the screen, it says, "DO NOT ATTEMPT".

Seriously? Do we really need that disclaimer?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Can you please send me a copy of that sign? Or at least a high rez picture that I can print out?

Since we're going there...

Have y'all seen the new Burger King commercial where an idiot slams into the car infront of him in the drive-thru so he can get his crap burger that much faster?

In small type at the bottom of the screen, it says, "DO NOT ATTEMPT".

Seriously? Do we really need that disclaimer?

That commercial freaks me out. 2 weeks ago I was driving to work with my gf and we were stopped at a red light just chatting. All of a sudden we got rear ended by some dumb 17 y/o on her cell phone. Big surprise. She was like "omg I'm gonna be late for school" I told her "I'm fine with you leaving, but as soon as you do I'm calling the police and you'll be arrested for a hit and run." The girl had no idea what to do. Her mom winded up coming out. Was very hesitant to give us her information until I told her either she gives us her info or we call the police and she gives it to them. Needless to say she immediately got us her info. She's like well there's no need for this I don't see any damage. My gf said she's still getting the car looked at, as its a leased vehicle. 3 days later she calls them, and they proceed to sh*t bricks because there was $2000 of damage.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD

"And I just hate stupid people. They should have to wear a sign that says 'I'm Stupid'. That way you wouldn't rely on them would you? 'Excuse me, OH! nevermind, I didn't see your sign.' That's why there's warnings on the backs of products ladies and gentleman, not for us, its for the stupid people. Did you know, on the back of a tube of Preperation-H, it says 'do not take this orally'? And you know they got a letter! 'Dear Preperation-H, I ate this whole dang tube, I still got these hemorrhoids. Man, my mouth so small... I can't eat a jelly bean anymore. But I could whistle really good!' We bought my daughter this doll, it's called the Rub-A-Dub Dolly Doll. Now, Rub-A-Dub Dolly floats around in the bathtub in a little life presever. On that life presever it said 'This is not a lifesaving device'. Now... What kind of idiot would see a guy drowning in a lake and go 'HERE! here's a Rub-A-Dub Dolly Doll!'"

--Bill Engvall