Quantcast

Duthie - 2Hi - Update

jdusto

Chimp
Dec 19, 2009
It's difficult to see how 2 additional walkup trails are going to fit at the bottom of the freeride area in SW quad given the current plan.

You already have 2 SW XC, 1 DC, 1 DWB, and 1 HLC (i.e. 2Hi) all terminating/originating in roughly 100-125 yards of space. With the dual slalom course you will essentially have two additional lines which need to fit in as well.

Is it possible to find another location for the Dual Slalom course in the park and put in its place another intermediate freeride line which has a narrower layout at the bottom?

That way you could fit in the two walkup paths ... one going between the 2 intermediate lines and the other between the two advance lines.

mwestra2

Monkey
Dec 4, 2007
This is all to be verified, confirmed, flagged and built...

The plan is for walk-ups right next to the DC and DWB lines. Most of that has already been trampled. I've asked to hook up with the builders onsite ASAP.

Then, I don't see how we can have a dual slalom without a spectator path next to it. So that path could also serve as a walk-up for 2Hi. Going to meet onsite to discuss that ASAP as well.

The walk-up paths aren't about laziness or time it takes to get back to the top... it's about creating the best flowpark... the right trade-off between fun and green. Allowing riders and spectators to learn, session, watch, take photos, etc. **WHILE** preserving as much of the forest as possible to keep it beautiful in there. As mentioned above, without designated walk-ups, the whole area is going to get trampled whether we have signs, ninjas or whatever.

BTW, love the Kong on the last DWB lip. :rofl:

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
That would involve hiking back up the trail.

to be honest guys, you are fighting a losing battle. you will NEVER stop people hiking up the trail to session sections/stunts. I would be looking at how to impliment safe hiking only trails right beside the trails to allow it.

-KT[/QUOTE

Did you read what Mike wrote? Thats what we are doing. Cant stop people from doing dumb stuff, but we will try.

Everyone need to keep in mind the park is not even really open yet, its not like whistler with builders who are payed money. Ride at your own risk

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Did you read what Mike wrote? Thats what we are doing. Cant stop people from doing dumb stuff, but we will try.

Everyone need to keep in mind the park is not even really open yet, its not like whistler with builders who are payed money. Ride at your own risk
Yeah I read it, I was supporting the idea with reasoning and some situations in which it might happen. I was also saying there is no point in trying to fight it. You claim that people are doing dumb stuff, I don't think hiking around a stunt to investigate it is dumb, I think it's smart. Look before you leap, or you'll be cleaning carcasses out of that place.

-KT

F.M.

Chimp
Mar 4, 2005
Seattle
Look before you leap, or you'll be cleaning carcasses out of that place.
-KT
Thats true, and you made some good points below KT...

The thing is, in the case of 2hi, there's really nothing that needs to be scoped out. It's an intermediate trail with ride-arounds for everything that's not roll-able.

Would walk-ups be a good for DWB, HLC & Dirt corps lines? Maybe a good idea as those are bigger lines with higher consequences.

Last edited:

jeepmauler

Monkey
Mar 9, 2004
Lynnwood

The thing is, in the case of 2hi, there's really nothing that needs to be scoped out. It's an intermediate trail with ride-arounds for everything that's not roll-able.

Would walk-ups be a good for DWB, HLC & Dirt corps lines? Maybe a good idea as those are bigger lines with higher consequences.

It's all perspective though. My wife shreds 2HI NOW...but at first it was baby steps for her and she wanted to scope it out and see other peeps hit stuff.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.

Right, but even on 2 hi, there are things that look like they might not be rollable. I know I'll go jump off everything on an intermediate trail without looking (with the only fear usually being overshooting stuff) but we are forgetting the level of some of the riders of this place. I've seen families, little kids, XC riders and K-mart bikes out there. These are the people that WILL crash rolling over a log if they haven't seen it. (and realistically, they will probally crash even if they have seen it :thumb:)

I think the 2 hi line is probally fine without a trail right beside it to walk around, but the DWB and DC lines need it for sure. Just be expecting people to be stopping on the trail everynow and then to scope stuff.

I personally really like the 2 Hi line. I know I've done some coaching on it (the corners work great for it) and that requires some hiking. I don't recomend doing that on a saturday when it is packed, but it will happen.

I wouldn't worry to much about it, as the park nears completition it will sort itself out. Riders will self police the area, but we can help by putting in some nice hiking trails for now.

-KT

Last edited:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey

Did you say CONSEQUENCES???

I have been a supporter of a push-path on our line from the get-go. It's inspiring to see others flying down the line on the way back up and I'm sure those that subsequently push back up (or pedal if you have the guns) share the same feeling seeing myself and others killing it. There would also be a better chance that somebody will be nearby if a rider has a bad spill to both assist the down rider and halt oncoming riders...speaking of higher consequences.

Everybody has a different opinion as is usually the case. It's good to see that we can at least be civil in approaching the topic.

Safety first!!!:thumb:

p.s. - The locals nuns need some footpaths as I hear they stroll the park on occaision.

Last edited:

DamienD

Monkey
Nov 6, 2007
Bothell
i know this is just a little of topic but which is the closest trail to that guys house thats a castle? its rad it has a guard tower and animals. always wondering?

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
And, it's routed as much out of sight from there as well as the other houses along that side for a reason....

YoPawn

Chimp
Aug 13, 2009
I was just bustin' your balls Yohan. I understand what you were saying. I was just thinking of some good ways tonight to block the walkup. I'm thinking a traffic cam in a few of the trees will do the trick. If you get a ticket in the mail don't be surprised.
LoL. Gotchya.

I think Subway turnstiles would work the best. Just put your head down and linebacker that sucker!

YoPawn

Chimp
Aug 13, 2009
I think that I agree that with time most of the people who will ride there will know the rules. We will eventually hit a critical mass of people knowing the rules, being able to toss words at the new people who trickle in.

This is how it pretty much works on the North Shore and works pretty well after all these years.

jdusto

Chimp
Dec 19, 2009
i know this is just a little of topic but which is the closest trail to that guys house thats a castle? its rad it has a guard tower and animals. always wondering?
The WTA connector trail from the parking lot and the NW XC loop are the closet to the property which has the castle gate and Yaks.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Yeah I read it, I was supporting the idea with reasoning and some situations in which it might happen. I was also saying there is no point in trying to fight it. You claim that people are doing dumb stuff, I don't think hiking around a stunt to investigate it is dumb, I think it's smart. Look before you leap, or you'll be cleaning carcasses out of that place.

-KT
I think we agree, but I know people are doing dumb stuff. Mom sees a us building a big jump, goes around and then falls off the lip of the next 20 footer, kid on kmart bike in the middle of a blind tranny, man peddling up the double black flow line with blind step down ect ect...

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
I think we agree, but I know people are doing dumb stuff. Mom sees a us building a big jump, goes around and then falls off the lip of the next 20 footer, kid on kmart bike in the middle of a blind tranny, man peddling up the double black flow line with blind step down ect ect...
please tell me this didn't actually happen...:shocked:

DamienD

Monkey
Nov 6, 2007
Bothell
oh ya its yaks i was thinken of. anyway i think people will do what they want. every one just needs a load hub then ther should be know problem