Quantcast

Duthie Dirt Corps Line (aka Semper Dirticus) Progress Report [w/ pics]

MattPatt

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
A, A
Maybe this is some sort of unconscious new years resolution on my part, but I am going to try and make a habit of posting regular progress reports on the work being done on the Dirt Corps Line at Duthie, which we call Semper Dirticus (which is also our motto :) )

First up, we finally got the wall fully framed and have a temporary plywood deck on it so that we are able to test it and tweak it before we commit to milled/split cedar planking

Then we also tweaked the take-off on the cedar coaster above it to reduce some of the buck. Having a tree top blow down on the structure in that spot prompted us finally to make the change.

As you can see in this pic, the lip is much more gradual and flatter... and it makes a difference when you ride it.

We'd also been discussing the idea of putting a side kicker next to the coaster for those days when the wood is wet, or you just want to skip the pedal needed to step-up onto the coaster... So we built one.

And then this last shot is MattPatt testing the new side shooter. Works like a charm and the speed coming off it is nice.

Hoping folks can get out there and enjoy it soon. Take care and have fun.

Last edited:

BooRadley

Chimp
Mar 25, 2009
Kirkland
Oh man, that side kicker looks sweet! This is definately a super fun line with a wide variety of stuff to hit! Thx for all you do!

jeepmauler

Monkey
Mar 9, 2004
Lynnwood
New mods are sweet:thumb: The run up to side shooter is S-L-O-W so all you kids make sure to throw in some phat pedals on the run up or risk coming up short:eek: (qualifier: I'm old and ride a heavy bike:rolleyes:)

The revised wood lip on the ladder is SOOOOO much better....:thumb:

.....and the wall ride is awsome......I pussed out on the lip to full wall ride(it was WET and my mangina was sandy:D) and opted for the lower line,2/3 wall ride and off......sweet:thumb: Once done it will be a piece of art.......thanks Dirt Corp:thumb:

MattPatt

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
A, A
Hey JeepMauler - glad you're stoked on the mods, stuff's getting better. The run into the Side Shooter is still a little fresh and could use a bit more buffing out. Our hope is that you'll come of the hip-to-hip and with little to no pedaling be able to hit it.

I agree with you on the revised cedar coaster lip, I hit it today for the first time in a while (been riding the side line) and I jumped clear to dirt on the landing and had more speed on the next jump than usual which was awesome!

Wall is hitting good and we did a bunch of work on the landing after it and the next berm, so go check it out and help get some tires on the dirt to pack it down.

FYI - We're still planning on filling in the base of the entire wall with dirt all the way up to meet it, so there will be less consequence of sliding off as well as 3rd super easy line around it. Hoping to have that in tomorrow come out and throw some dirt with us if you're interested.

MattPatt

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
A, A
Thanks Andy, same goes for the DWB line!

We had another good crew of builders out there today to fill in the wall ride dirt which is a good thing since I saw a few folks make some slow runs at it today who had to bail out.

The berm and landing after the wall got some more love as did the section of trail following that, where we broke ground today. Thanks to all who helped dig. Jim, Jeff, Mike B, Travis, Kyle, Graham, and anyone else that I missed.

To those riding the new stuff, have fun and take it easy on the fresh dirt, help it set up.

Cheers,

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Got to test out the new stuff today, line is sweet!!!

Kevin helped us cut up logs toward the end of your line, hope to grab most of them sunday. Also saw there was a ton of snags and logs in that area so I dont think there will be any shortage of wood for ether line.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Dang I really need to head down there. My co-worker and I were talking about hitting Duthie today, but opted for Collinade instead so we could get our bearings on the new bikes. I think Duthie's my next ride. Thanks for all the work, and awesome pics of the work!

~Scott

MattPatt

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
A, A
Here's photos from a couple of build parties rolled into one update.

New Berm to Berm move shortly after the wall ride

Another shot of the B2B. We filled in the area where Sam is standing so it doesn't get as destroyed by casers

Joey Pirelli Digging some perfect post holes for the next structure, a step on/off over a cool old stump

Getting it all lined up and dialed prior to framing

Kat and Eric built a nice take off, after me Jim and Jeff put it in the wrong place :)

Quality construction going on here. Joe's making us measure stuff and talking about plum? I have no idea what he's on about...

Attachments

MattPatt

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
A, A
Nice progress. Looks like a jolly old time.
Thanks, its always fun to build trails with friends and shoot the breeze. Did some more work tonight and we got the landing structure pretty much dialed to the point where we just need to deck it.

Looking forward to Saturday already for our next one.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Nice work guys! I love the line you guys built!

~Scott

P.S. Thanks for partnering with Gregg's! (I work at the Alderwood location) Because of you, we're finally getting more FR/DH oriented stuff in the shop after much begging on my part.