Quantcast

Duthie poop

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
So day before yesterday this guy who's building a trail skipped work, and for 12 hours re-planted and refoliated trail so it wouldn't get shut down. The only person to help him was Kevin Shmuck from Evergreen, and it happened to be his birthday.
Somebody has been taking dumps on the trail too, so he had to clean up another pile.
He tells people that tomorrow it may be shut down permanently and asks for help re-planting ferns, but nobody does. He's right, replanting and cleaning up was key in helping the trail to not get shut down.
It was a nice sunny day and people were riding the unfinished trail, and some people even stopped and made suggestions on trail building. This is after he spent nearly 100 hours on this trail in the month of March alone, and working full time in a bike store.

This was his story he told me yesterday, after i broke off work early, after i did a walk and talk to help save a race trail, a skills building trail, a trail for all skill levels, a trail that will not have one single puddle on it, a trail that will help fund maintenance for the entire park as years go by.

If this guy passed by your project that you put hundreds of hours into, which cost you money out of your pocket, was on fire. You ask him to help throw a few buckets of water. He would give you 10 minutes to help, 1 hour of help, an entire day to help. That what he would do for you, because we are a community, and he believes that's what we "should" do, help each other so we can all benefit.

This guy don't post on the internet, but i do, like it or not. If you like me or don't like me, this trail ain't really about him, it ain't about me, it's about all of us. And it ain't about having a trail to ride, it's about working to shift our efforts to make a strong community that is not afraid to volunteer, and is not oblivious. We are building it for the next generation of riders, the kids, your children. We don't need more trails as much as we need to develop our community to not be like the world around us, selfish, and self-absorbed. We mt. bike to escape all that bull$hit, don't we?

Me personally i like seeing friends stop by and enjoy their rides on nice days. But i get tired of people thanking me. That's like i'm spending all my time for them, i'm not. i'm doing it for US. And thankfully nobody has been stupid enough to make suggestions to me on trail building out there.

And here's the strange part.

What we're doing is actually fun. We make it fun, even if we're real busy, and the people that have stepped up so far have made it enjoyable. We are not a clique, we are not a group, we are not representing anybody, and we all can't stand each other, we're all ugly and dirty, and we laugh at how ugly and dirty we are and throw dirt at each other because it makes us look better.

We've got lots of work ahead of us before we're done with one of the best trails in Washington State, in one of the best parks in the world.

Please don't $hit on our trail, come grace us with your great smile, we'll gladly put a shovel in your hand and show you how to dig a hole you can poop into.

http://evergreenmtb.org/recreation/calendar.php?event_id=9301

http://evergreenmtb.org/recreation/calendar.php?event_id=9183

Last edited:

fleavernator

Chimp
Jun 14, 2008
Beautifully put. It's not too much to ask to omit one ride day a month to preserve the places we ride. If you really want to thank us trailbuilders, put your bike down and grab/use a shovel for an hour or so. If not, go back to complaining when our riding areas get shut down.