Quantcast

DVD burner woes

derekpearson

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
I finally got a dvd burner(it came installed with a new IBM desktop I bought) and I cant figure out how to write to it. It sees the disc when I put it in, but when I go to copy to it, I get the message "there was a problem copying this file" and thats it- no other option. I tried using nero, but the options to burn dvd are greyed out so it must not be seeing it for some reason? I can burn a CD in the drive but not a dvd. It says on the front of the drive DVD + RW.
Any ideas?
I tried disabling and reenabling, uninstalling and installing using DVD -R instead of DVD +R but none of it works. Any ideas?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I'm assuming you're running XP - If so there is a documented issue writing to DVD if you haven't patched your machine up properly. It's to do with the sizes of packets of data being sent to the burning hardware. Windows sends a smaller amount than the burner is expecting. Update windows as fully as possible and see if that sorts it out. When I read the article it said that the resolution was a hotfix but it would be included in a later patch. That was sometime ago, so I assume it's been in a patch since then.

derekpearson

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Thanks for the help, I made sure I was all up to date already though. Ill search around the windows site for dvd burn hotfixes though.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
you need dvd shrink and dvd decrypter both freeware programs, rip an .iso image of the disk to ur drive with the one, then burn the .iso to the disk, it will shrink the 8gb file down to a 4ish that will fit on a standard disk...:thumb: