Quantcast

DVD/ Lord of Rings fans...can you help me?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I am trying to buy my wife the Lord of the Rings Trilogy as her b-day/our anniversary is coming up. I know she would prefer the version that is both widescreen, hi def and contains all the available extras, interviews...all that crap.

I am sorting through different versions of how this trilogy has been released, and Im not much into DVDs or electronics or any of that.

I found this:
http://www.amazon.com/Rings-Trilogy-Theatrical-Extended-Limited/dp/B000GTLR2A

I dont know what "Theatrical Extended" edition means. Does "Theatrical" mean widescreen?

...actually, could someone just point me to the most up to date comprehensive version of this set?

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I am trying to buy my wife the Lord of the Rings Trilogy as her b-day/our anniversary is coming up. I know she would prefer the version that is both widescreen, hi def and contains all the available extras, interviews...all that crap.

I am sorting through different versions of how this trilogy has been released, and Im not much into DVDs or electronics or any of that.

I found this:
http://www.amazon.com/Rings-Trilogy-Theatrical-Extended-Limited/dp/B000GTLR2A

I dont know what "Theatrical Extended" edition means. Does "Theatrical" mean widescreen?

...actually, could someone just point me to the most up to date comprehensive version of this set?
That set is the most recent. It has both the Theatrical and Extended Versions of all three films. Widescreen only. I have all the other versions and was thinking of buying this just so I can have the extended version of each film on one disc instead of two. The only drawback to this set might be that it won't have as many extras as the prior extended edition releases if she's really into all the fluff.

edit: "Also lost are the meager features included on the theatrical edition, plus the four commentary tracks, two discs of bonus features, and DTS 6.1 ES sound from the four-disc Extended Editions."

That would be enough for me to not have this as my only set. Plus the details on the set say you have to flip the disc to watch the whole movie. The only reason to buy this is for extra DVD for each movie that has a new documentary on it.

The extended versions really are the ultimate (thus far) in nerd-dom.

My rec. is to buy this: Extended Plat Edition and maybe this: Theatrical Boxed Set

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yeah, see what i mean? Is the platinum one wide screen?
Does the theathrical set have all the extras possible?

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I have this set and it has everything.
You do need to change the disc in each film cause they couldnt fit a whole extended (extended means extra footage) on one DVD.
There is no High Definition avalable for LOTR so this is probably the ultimate DVD BOX...
Dont know how its different from yours though

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000654ZK0/ref=pd_cp_d_0/102-3318352-2099311?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_r=0Q37D26SN24NR6K7CGC6&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=316286001&pf_rd_i=B000GTLR2A

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I have that set and it has everything.
You do need to change the disc in each film cause they couldnt fit a whole extended (extended means extra footage) on one DVD.
There is no High Definition avalable for LOTR so this is probably the ultimate DVD BOX...
:banghead:
...but the reviews say it doesnt have alot of the commentary/extras?

moff_quigley

Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Yeah, see what i mean? Is the platinum one wide screen?
Does the theathrical set have all the extras possible?
Yes the platinum extended set is widescreen (never offered in P&S as far as I know). This set has 2 "extras" discs per movie and is the one to have if you like bonus features. The theatrical set has 1 bonus disc per movie. If she has to have as much bonus material as possible you'll need both sets. I think there are some things included in the theatrical bonus material that's not included in the extended. A real nerd should be able to tell you what exists on both. I don't know.

FYI I really like the extended versions of the films and don't watch the theatrical ones anymore.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
...you know what I am going to do? Just show her this thread and make her decide. Thanks for the info.

Approved.

moff_quigley

Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
...you know what I am going to do? Just show her this thread and make her decide. Thanks for the info.

Approved.
Get the Platinum Extended Version. She'll be geeked out for days. Get her the theatrical set if you want to make an extra deposit in the love bank. The combined theatrical/extended set (in the OP) is NOT what you want if you want lots of extras.