Quantcast

DVD Players, damaged discs, etc....

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
We've got what I think is a pretty nice 5 disc changer on our home theater, Sony.

We rent TONS of DVDs from the local joint. It seems like 1/4 has problems with skipping, stalling etc. Many times I just clean them and sometimes it's better, it's almost alway older ones. The new releases never have problems. I'm convinced that the store lets their discs get really bad before they toss, them, my hubby thinks the problem is with the DVD player.

I got a DVD cleaner disc -thingy from Radio Shack, have run it through the system which seems to help a little.

Anyone have problems like this with Netflix? Or is it more likely just messed up discs all the time from the local place, or does my palyer need a "professional" cleaning?

thx geargrrl

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I've found that lately more and more of the DVD's I rent from Blockbuster/Hollywood Video/etc. have skipped as well. Sucks.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
its cause Sony makes crap

(I had/have problems with my Sony receiver, Sony DVD player & Sony Cd player)
boy for somebody who does not like sony you have alot of their products.???.I don't think they make things like they used to thats for sure....

ChuMaiWang

Chimp
Jun 30, 2006
its cause Sony makes crap

(I had/have problems with my Sony receiver, Sony DVD player & Sony Cd player)
I don’t like Sony because of all their proprietary crap they have. They even had to go and make their own media card for cameras, ect. They then overprice this stuff that only works in a Sony. It is BS if you ask me.

That being said, I have 6 different DVD players and I use Netflix. I do get some DVDs that will only play in certain players.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
You can clean the lens just as well with a q-tip dipped in alcohol, assuming you aren't worried about taking off the cover. Doing so, however, gives you an opportunity to blow all the dust out of the circuitry with compressed(or "canned") air. The covers are usually held on by only 4 or 5 phillips-head screws.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Sounds like dirty/scratched DVD's to me.

How old is your DVD player? Do the DVD's display the same behaviour in a diffferent player? (Computer DVD drive will do for testing) What about different copies of the same movie?

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Sounds like dirty/scratched DVD's to me.

How old is your DVD player? Do the DVD's display the same behaviour in a diffferent player? (Computer DVD drive will do for testing) What about different copies of the same movie?
test in computer, good idea! I think it's damgaged discs personally as the new releases never do it. BUT - the player is 2.5 years old, we watch a ton of DVD's.