Quantcast

DVD players...help

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
So I think I'm gonna go get a DVD player. I figured I'd just go to Best Buy and pick one up for like 60 or 70 bucks. Is there really any difference between brands? What does paying more get me? Paying less? Anyone got any particular recommendations? I don't really have any knowledge of this stuff, I just kinda assumed they all work the same.
Thanks!
BTW, it'll just be hooked up to a cheap-o 27" TV if that matters

D

d-sop

as with any electronics, the more money you spend, more bang for your buck. i like sony or samsung. get a brand that's widely used and sounds familiar (i.e. sony, samsung, panasonic, etc.)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
There's a lot more to it than you might think. However, if you don't want to deal with the details, you don't have to.

Are you hooking it up to surround sound, or just using your TV speakers? If you're just using your TV speakers, than sound quality isn't much of an issue for you. Since you've got a cheap-o TV, video quality probably isn't a huge issue for you either. So all you need is a basic player. Plan on spending $75-$100 or so - don't go super cheap on these. I'd suggest a Panasonic or a Toshiba - they have the best combination of features, performance and reliabilty. JVC and Sony are a step down - JVC's performance isn't so great, but their reliability is top notch. Sony is just the opposite. Everyone else falls below that. Of course, that's main stream brands. High end stuff doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
DAM! you dont have a DVD player! Ya the ones between 75-100 will do u fine, get one at costco if u can cuz if anything goes wrong w/ it u can take it back!

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
jacksonpt said:
There's a lot more to it than you might think. However, if you don't want to deal with the details, you don't have to.

Are you hooking it up to surround sound, or just using your TV speakers? If you're just using your TV speakers, than sound quality isn't much of an issue for you. Since you've got a cheap-o TV, video quality probably isn't a huge issue for you either. So all you need is a basic player. Plan on spending $75-$100 or so - don't go super cheap on these. I'd suggest a Panasonic or a Toshiba - they have the best combination of features, performance and reliabilty. JVC and Sony are a step down - JVC's performance isn't so great, but their reliability is top notch. Sony is just the opposite. Everyone else falls below that. Of course, that's main stream brands. High end stuff doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

I'll just be hooking it up to a TV, no surround sound. I may get a new TV sometime soon, but even then I only plan on spending $3-500 and I'm not sure if I will pull the trigger on that anytime soon. I'd kinda rather spend the $ on bike parts. I almost never watch TV, I just kinda would like to have decent one for the occasions that I want to watch a movie.