Quantcast

dvd ripping

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
can anyone point me in the right direction of some good freeware to rip a dvd into divx format

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I think its fair to say no one is going to support you on this. Its illegal and websites dont like to be part of it.

its illegal here in the states anyways. *and this is a USA site*

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
There is nothing illegal about backing up your videos you own, at least there wasn't until the DCMA passed by congress made it illegal to reverse engineer copy protection schemes, which the Content Scrambling System on DVD are considered to be. In a practical sense no law enforcement agency is going to arrest an end user for making backup copies of his own DVD. But the DeCSS authors and sites distributing the code have been harassed (legally) and threatened with prosecution.

Apr 3, 2005
So. Dak.
well i use #1 dvd ripper... just download the full version off of a torrent site or something. like isohunt which im pretty sure is a canadian site too. so freeload away. just make sure you have the latest divx or xvid codecs. you can download the full versions off of isohunt too. then rip your dvd as a *.avi otherwise if you just wanna make a copy, use dvdshrink... inless theres a better program out there. i usually just make a video file outta my dvds.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
unless.

Oh anyhoo for legal dvd copying and archiving of your own personal disks I just started using magic dvd copy and magic dvd ripper.
the ripper is neat because you get all kinds of compression options including video Ipod format.
the copier is for making an exact copy with compression OR splitting it up into 2 disks if you dont have a dual layer disk.
you get 5 free uses of each then you have to pay.