Quantcast

DVI Converter jam

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I finally got a blu-ray player with HDMI out. My TV has one HDMI in which is hooked up to cable. I'd like to run an HDMI cable to the TV and then convert to DVI, since I have two unused DVI ports.

I can get something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HDJY7K/ref=s9_simh_se_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=auto-no-results-center-1&pf_rd_r=375E50CECCA9443D9F50&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=1263465782&pf_rd_i=HDMIF-DVIDF

But I'd rather get a generic HDMI cable and an adapter, so I can use the cable again later, as we will likely replace this TV with one with more HDMI inputs someday. I found this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018QTWH2/ref=s9_simh_se_p23_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=auto-no-results-center-1&pf_rd_r=375E50CECCA9443D9F50&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=1263465782&pf_rd_i=HDMIF-DVIDF but it's hard to tell if it supports 1080p, and one user says it doesn't. Will it?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think you might be right. Every cable setup says 1080p compliant, and I suppose I can just buy another hdmi cable in the future (seriously $6 is not that big of a deal) but I like cross compatibility as much as possible.

I know monoprice has the best prices, but wifey and I just signed up for amazon prime and it's only like a dollar more through mammalzon.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I have the Monoprice version that's the opposite of what you're trying to do (HDMI male to DVI female) and it works great, with 1080p. I don't really know how a digital-to-digital adapter "supports" or "doesn't support" a certain resolution unless it's shoddy enough quality to simply not support the frequencies necessary to push the higher data rate. I'd imagine you won't have any problems with any of the adapters.

I can confirm the Monoprice one works, though.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
while DVI technically can handle the bandwidth for 1080p, most tv's that came with DVI at the time couldnt take a 1080p input. itll typically say right next to the input on the set. you may possibly run into a HDCP issue as well.

i would go with the cheap HDMI cable with the cheap DVI adapter. i use it on a few sets and it works fine

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It is HDCP capable in the DVI port, and it's 1080p as well. It's an older TV, and I think they weren't sure whether hdmi was going to catch on. There are two DVI ports, both with RCA ins for sound, as well as a vga, and two component/composite whatever RGB is called.

I'll order up the Importer520 and see how that does. Is there any way to tell image quality, besides "hey this looks off"?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
It is HDCP capable in the DVI port, and it's 1080p as well. It's an older TV, and I think they weren't sure whether hdmi was going to catch on. There are two DVI ports, both with RCA ins for sound, as well as a vga, and two component/composite whatever RGB is called.

I'll order up the Importer520 and see how that does. Is there any way to tell image quality, besides "hey this looks off"?
every mfg knew it was going to catch on but with component cable, dvi and firewire all vying for "market share," HDMI was the lesser known of all three to consumers so mfg's held out a bit on adopting it to newer sets.

there wont be really any way to discern image quality unless you also hook up the source through component (and if your source can do both HDMI and component at the same time.) ive done this on my main 56" DiLA tv and found that component looks better on my cable box then it does with HDMI, though i do use HDMI on my PS3
plus, itll either work or it wont sync.