Quantcast

dvi dual-link vs. single

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So my girlfriend just bought a nice HP laptop, and while in the store I picked up a DVI cable (open box, woot) to connect my older 17" monitor to my new blazing fast 8800gts. I got home, and took a look at the box and read single-link cable. Out curiosity, I explored the meaning a little bit and I guess dual-link is much, much better (thanks best buy). So my question is, do I need to worry about returning it for a dual-link, or will it be fine with my 17", and also, if I upgrade to a 22" monitor in the future, will I need to be concerned then?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah i did, I'm going to try and return it this evening...i don't see the point in overpaying for an inferior product...

but thanks for the heads up. how is shipping from monoprice?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Very reasonable cost and the items typically go out same day. Packaging is pretty spartan but they're selling A/V cables, no need for a pretty box. You'll get a plain brown box with the cables wrapped in plastic and tossed inside.

I usually try and order a few things so the shipping cost gets a little more economical. They sell pretty much every kind of cable/adapter/wall plate/converter you can come up with for A/V and networking. Even cabling tools.

BTW, I don't really recommend buying the 24AWG DVI cable in case you get shopping on that site and get the itch to upgrade. Even though it's a higher quality product, the cable is so friggin' huge (thicker gauge) that it's pretty difficult to work with. I actually have to keep my computer case about 6" away from the wall because the cable won't bend any sharper than that.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
My experience is that the monoprice cables are superior in quality to the general stuff you get from NewEgg for the same price.

The one I posted is a 28 AWG (smaller gauge) cable. You won't see a difference between that and the 24 AWG.