Quantcast

DVO Jade Reviews?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Well the chassis action on it is miles better than a goddamn Pike or Fox, I can say that much with certainty.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
You get your rocks confused when you're on rocks I guess. I mean, I meant to do that. I mean.....shut the hell up.

The JADE works pretty nicely too actually. I should have one to put a bunch of time on once they make a 10.5".

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
Bumping this up...

So has anyone got any ridetime or reviews on the Jade? Doesn't seem to be much out there.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
I have been running one on a Nomad for 3 months or so.

Everything is solid so far, no issues. Played with the bladder pressure and all dials are about in the middle.
Can't offer a good coil comparison since it replaced an air shock, but it is pretty damn sensitive and kicked the holy chit out of the Vivid Air I had on there. Feels better everywhere.

Main reason I went with the Jade coil was ease of serviceability and tuning. Super easy to pull it apart and change oil/play with shims.
No special tools needed, no IFP depth to set. Just fill with oil, set exposed shaft length, install diaphram+cap and done!

I comes in a nice little gun case, only wish it came with spare shims for tuning.

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
I have been running one on a Nomad for 3 months or so.

Everything is solid so far, no issues. Played with the bladder pressure and all dials are about in the middle.
Can't offer a good coil comparison since it replaced an air shock, but it is pretty damn sensitive and kicked the holy chit out of the Vivid Air I had on there. Feels better everywhere.

Main reason I went with the Jade coil was ease of serviceability and tuning. Super easy to pull it apart and change oil/play with shims.
No special tools needed, no IFP depth to set. Just fill with oil, set exposed shaft length, install diaphram+cap and done!

I comes in a nice little gun case, only wish it came with spare shims for tuning.
I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on one and this sounds very promising.

I'm looking to replace my Vivid R2C (2012) on my Glory with a Jade. I'm in Australia and it looks like getting it at Jenson is the only option for the moment (out of stock at CRC). Just a few questions if anyone can help:
1. Jenson doesn't sell the mounting hardware for the shock, would I be able to use the Vivid mounting hardware?
2. Can I also run my Vivid spring?
3. Would the Jade work well with the Glory's Maestro link?

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
does this shock come with different tunes?

I think the tune for Maestro is low, like the DW. no?

And if not, do they have any info for how to change the tune? From M to L? or to any other?

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Afaik they come in one tune only, but are supposedly super easy to disassemble and re-shim. So far they only have guidelines for the Emerald on their site though.

pescecane

Chimp
Nov 4, 2004
pescara, ITALIA
hi, i am thinking to move to a Jade shox from RS MonarchRC3...i had it as a test shox for a weekend...i can see it is super plush, very sensitive but i had an issue (maybe it was specific of that shox):
LowCompressionRegister works badly...i mean in the "full open position " it works great;instead in the "full closed position" (to let it firmer during the pedaling session) it looked like to be no difference between the 2 settings (i can say the same for all the others intermediate positions)...i am wondering if it was a problem regaring the Jade they give to me or not...ciao, vale

ps i run it on a Devinci Spartan.

Last edited:

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
hi, i am thinking to move to a Jade shox from RS MonarchRC3...i had it as a test shox for a weekend...i can see it is super plush, very sensitive but i had an issue (maybe it was specific of that shox):
LowCompressionRegister works badly...i mean in the "full open position " it works great;instead in the "full closed position" (to let it firmer during the pedaling session) it looked like to be no difference between the 2 settings (i can say the same for all the others intermediate positions)...i am wondering if it was a problem regaring the Jade they give to me or not...ciao, vale

ps i run it on a Devinci Spartan.

I have found the same thing, very little difference between max and min LSC settings with stock tune.
This is on a Nomad.

However, the Jade is that it is very easy take apart and change the shim stack/tune. Call/email them and they can help you out. Still a great shock.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I rode on mine for a week in Whistler on my '13 Wilson. It was awesome. The rebound character is very progressive, so the harder you hit something, the slower and the more "stick" it has. I found that to work great, since it was very quick and responsive over the small stuff around ride-height, but never EVER kicked funny from a lip or a g-out.

The compression range didn't seem super super wide, but it was usable. I could tell the differences between clicks of LSC. I had to be moving to tell what was going on with the HSC. This is a 10.5" shock that had their generic low leverage tune (I think), so likely has an effect on the range of "feel" from the LSC adjuster.

There's a good amount of adjustment to be had with the air pressure in the bladder too.

I was on a springrate that was a tad stiff, so I kept the compression adjusters wound most of the way out. It worked really, really well. I wanted to try a lower springrate with some middle compression settings but didn't get a chance to.

The chassis sensitivity and smoothness on it is what sets it apart. It just moves nice and freely without feeling like a pogo stick.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Vice, cresent and a couple allen keys most likely.

What coil shocks these days besides a CCDB need any special tools?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Vice, cresent and a couple allen keys most likely.

What coil shocks these days besides a CCDB need any special tools?
well, i was basing it on the tools required to do the travel change on the video for the Diamond, quite a few things you usually don't have lying around.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
By "very easy", does that mean a bunch of proprietary and specialty tools?
Nope, this is not a RS!

All parts have wrench flats, everything can come apart with simple tools and a vice. You will need a shaft clamp to get the piston off without killing the shaft, but that's it.

BTW the new Fox DHX2 and Float X2 do not appear to be very user friendly. Looks like a step back from RC4 and older Floats in terms of serviceability. Can't just pop the air sleeve off anymore or mess with IFP depth/pressure easily....
But damn, they feel nice!

pescecane

Chimp
Nov 4, 2004
pescara, ITALIA
I have found the same thing, very little difference between max and min LSC settings with stock tune.
This is on a Nomad.

However, the Jade is that it is very easy take apart and change the shim stack/tune. Call/email them and they can help you out. Still a great shock.
i am using the Jade on my Spartan....i like it very much...it is super sensitive and plush...and i can confirm it is easy to set (maybe too much clicks are on the LSC & HSC)...absolutely fantastic in the DH sessions...i confirm i am not able to feel substantial difference on the LSC from Min to Max....i send also some emails to DVO but still have no answers....

andrextr

Chimp
Aug 6, 2007
Portugal
Dear Jade (or RS Vivid) users, :D

Can any of you perform the breakaway test with the weight scale and share that info? Need some data for a future video to compare traditional IFP shocks with bladder shocks :) (the case of vivid is different)

Here's the method:

Bye

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Can any of you perform the breakaway test with the weight scale and share that info?
Isn't this potentially an incorrect method of comparison?
I appreciate your methods for their simplicity, but in this case I think it may be too inaccurate unless you (at the very least) compare each shock yourself in the same bike, setup for the same rider. There are a lot of variables here.

- The frame leverage ratio curve affects the breakaway force (eg. a frame with the same average LR value, but an instantaneous LR value that is twice as high at the start of the stroke will ~halve the breakaway force).
- The IFP pressure (on shocks where it is adjustable) will also cause variations.
- On air shocks, the rider weight (and therefore spring pressure) may also affect the linearity of the spring curve, so results may vary due to that also.

I'm sure you're aware of this, so perhaps I've missed something?

andrextr

Chimp
Aug 6, 2007
Portugal
I know, you are right, there are many variables :) But this is just to have an ideia and to do a correlation study. Of course, that I will need more than one value to do statistical analysis. When you get a lot of values you are diluting the external variables, so your conclusion gets more statistically significant. At this moment I have 8 values for classical IFP shocks (both air and coils) and they are pretty damn similar... Now I need more data from bladder shocks or from the Vivid. So... Let the numbers roll, I will process that info later :)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I think you should at least (also) ask for and record the frame that each shock was used in and normalize your results by the ratio value at 0 travel on that frame, since the frame LR curve heavily changes the force result.

If you don't do that, your data may be too inaccurate to be useful - as leverage can cause a bigger difference in breakaway force than something small like bladder vs. IFP designs for air separation.

Just a suggestion. :)

andrextr

Chimp
Aug 6, 2007
Portugal
@Udi Yes, I asked to people to say the bike for that LR reason. But honestly, the initial leverage ratio on most bikes are mostly around 3 to 3.5, there are only a couple of bikes with initial LR of 4, such as V10. So we are talking about 15-25% variance caused by LR. When you do the average of several results, you decrease a lot the variance, so it's no big deal :) Indeed, what causes the most breakaway force is in fact the IFP pressure. At least, this is my hypothesis. This is why I need people to share the data to test this hypothesis. Or if any brand is reading this, please send my your shocks to test :D eheheh

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The gas spring force in most dampers causes the huge majority of static friction or initial force. Seal/bushing drag can be reduced and be noticeable to a rider but nothing like adding or removing an unbalanced pneumatic spring into the damper.

Some drag or initial force can be a good thing, depending on the application.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Of interest, I found the BOS Stoy had substantially below-average friction for its relatively average (12mm) shaft diameter. I think their seal and bushing setup is very good, as is the lack of damping at very low frequencies and amplitudes. Didn't like the high speed damping behaviour though.

In my experience with the Jade, the large shaft (14mm) has some negative impact on initial sensitivity, like the fat-shaft RC4 (15.875mm). I think both seal friction and air-preload force combine to cause this in both cases.

The gas spring force in most dampers causes the huge majority of static friction or initial force. Seal/bushing drag can be reduced and be noticeable to a rider but nothing like adding or removing an unbalanced pneumatic spring into the damper.

Some drag or initial force can be a good thing, depending on the application.
Agreed, I actually had that experience on the Undead - the initial leverage is so high that with a sensitive coil shock (DB or Stoy coil), you could move through an inch of travel by basically just touching the seat. Not really good since the travel was just wasted in most scenarios, so I found the bike worked a lot better with a fat-shaft RC4 to add some initial force and drag.

Obviously that's rare though, and most trailbikes (esp. with air shocks) are on the opposite end of the spectrum to that. @Flo33 the above should answer your question. To elaborate further, this is why the delta-link design can work exceptionally well with air shocks, since it's capable of generating a high leverage spike over a small region of travel and then continue along a relatively flat line (if required) for the remainder.

andreano

Chimp
Mar 8, 2016
Does anybody know how to increase range for low speed compression. I have 215mm jade shock and do not notice any difference at min and max setting.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Are people still using Jade shocks these days?
I am considering switching my X2 for a coil on my trail bike and the Jade fits the bill when it comes to price, serviceability, tuning and availability. I found the DHX2 to be a bit pricey and the latest iteration of the RC4 is hard to get in 200mm length.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016

Can any of you perform the breakaway test with the weight scale and share that info? Need some data for a future video to compare traditional IFP shocks with bladder shocks :) (the case of vivid is different)

Here's the method:

Bye
this is an interesting topic. Why don't you start a thread on it? I've been doing these tests with a variety of shocks for a long time, both on and off the bike

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Are people still using Jade shocks these days?
I am considering switching my X2 for a coil on my trail bike and the Jade fits the bill when it comes to price, serviceability, tuning and availability. I found the DHX2 to be a bit pricey and the latest iteration of the RC4 is hard to get in 200mm length.
I've ridden the Jade coil in a few trailbikes and the large shaft on it negates a lot of the performance benefits that a coil shock should offer. Combined with the high minimum chamber pressure, there is a high breakaway force on that shock. I wouldn't bother personally if your intent is to gain coil advantages over the air shock. The small-shaft RC4 is great but agreed it is hard to find in that size.

Can you get an XFusion Vector HLR coil? I've heard good things, and it'd probably be my 2nd choice for a coil shock if I couldn't run the small-shaft RC4. It should be cheap too. Failing that I'd run a DHX2 or CCDB.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The small-shaft RC4 is great but agreed it is hard to find in that size.
Can you get an XFusion Vector HLR coil? I've heard good things, and it'd probably be my 2nd choice for a coil shock if I couldn't run the small-shaft RC4. It should be cheap too. Failing that I'd run a DHX2 or CCDB.
Just out of curiosity: what do you think of the Manitou Revox? I have run one on and off in the DH bike and am pretty impressed. They can be found for really cheap and also in trail bike lengths.