Quantcast

DVO Suspension - potential new player?

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
I've tried those. They are very nice that's for sure. Not progressive enough for my frame though. You're right though, there's nothing bad to say about avy stuff.
avy tuned roco?

I've heard they solve the rebound issue

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
avy tuned roco?

I've heard they solve the rebound issue
Do they put a new needle in there? The revox is basically a better roco. The rebound needle in their fixes the roco problem. The revox has proven very reliable too. I'm pretty happy with that so far. "Good enough" for my purposes.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
inverted is a go : link

"Mountain Bike: DVO’s first product will be an inverted DH fork? Why go upside down?

Martin: I’ve always liked the structure of what an inverted fork brings to a mountain bike application. It reduces unsprung weight, and the larger upper tubes and smaller diameter lower tubes telescoping into them is better for fighting bending forces, and makes for a better structural design specifically for long-travel downhill forks. It applies to forks in that 150mm-170mm range, too, where you’re trying to keep torsional forces in control. Also, it’s a little quicker to execute. We’re not going to have [cast magnesium lowers] until the middle of next year. Another thing that led to the direction of inverted is that we don’t have to deal with an arch."

also :
"Our first products will be that inverted fork and a DH shock..."

some interesting stuff in the interview.

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Wow, surprised they released the cat out of the bag so soon. Also I like how they keep calling Ronnie, Josh. And those dates are VERY agressive.

Last edited:

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
They are looking to release mid 2013 "at the latest." Looking forward to it!

At the latest we’re looking at the middle of next year. In November we’re getting prototypes. We’ll go though the standard destructive testing phase to make sure it’s all sound and solid. That’s at least a three-month window, which brings us to the early part of next year. Our first products will be that inverted fork and a DH shock, and we already have our production floor ready to go.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Say a 26-inch wheel hits a 4-inch rock at a certain vector. If it’s a bigger wheel, the vector will be less.
:rofl:

DVO engineer Josh Baltaxe tinkers with prototype dampers in a SR Suntour test chasis. (Ronnie pictured)

From day one, we’ve seen suspension platforms: SPV, Mission Control, Boost Vales

Everything we’re using in mountain bike suspension comes from motocross, and the heart of that system is a piston and shims.
MOAAAAR SHIMZ.

It’s hard to achieve dynamic damping balance when you have a Double Barrel [rear] shock that operates off of tiny ports and displaced oil and an open bath or closed cartridges piston/shim system up front.

Their suspension program (Suntour) will top 10 million units next year.
Holy shet.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
inverted is a go : link

"Mountain Bike: DVO’s first product will be an inverted DH fork? Why go upside down?

Martin: I’ve always liked the structure of what an inverted fork brings to a mountain bike application. It reduces unsprung weight, and the larger upper tubes and smaller diameter lower tubes telescoping into them is better for fighting bending forces, and makes for a better structural design specifically for long-travel downhill forks. It applies to forks in that 150mm-170mm range, too, where you’re trying to keep torsional forces in control. Also, it’s a little quicker to execute. We’re not going to have [cast magnesium lowers] until the middle of next year. Another thing that led to the direction of inverted is that we don’t have to deal with an arch."

also :
"Our first products will be that inverted fork and a DH shock..."

some interesting stuff in the interview.
Not this again. Forks like boxxer 35, 888 38 and fox 40 negate the advantage of "bigger tubes", since they are damn big already. Reduction in unsprung weight is a myth, only on the scale of around 5% of all unsprung weight. Unless travel is looking to go beyond 8", bushing overlap isn't a valid reason why. Cheaper and easier to make though, with less torsional stiffness (fore-aft is better, unless you simply increase the size of the right side up fork, see above).

The reason to go to an inverted? It's been a long time since we've seen one. If one comes out, it's a quirky unique fork, and that will probably be good for marketing. Selling forks is more important than making good suspension. If marzocchi was still making 30mm forks, boxxers 32 and manitou 30mm, then I inverted could make sense!

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Cheaper and easier to make though, with less torsional stiffness (fore-aft is better, unless you simply increase the size of the right side up fork, see above).
That's the main reason they are doing it. Cheaper than proto-ing magnesium castings. Better seal/bushing lubrication too.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I love how DVO is the new Evil.

Their 'spy' shots need some work though. More blur, rotate it through 90 degrees etc.
LOL! Rep on its way. What I want to know is why FDM and not something like DMLS which you could learn something from?

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That's the main reason they are doing it. Cheaper than proto-ing magnesium castings. Better seal/bushing lubrication too.
Yeah, I was surprised that wasn't mentioned. It's the one fairly real advantage, especially since most modern forks are low-volume oil bath just for lubrication with closed carts, so it tends to be easier to keep stuff lubed.

I saw that xfusion was recently promoting their hiring of Paul Turner (Rockshox). I hope he can do better for them than he did for the last few companies. Stuff out of RS and Maverick was a joke for many reasons. Some people were pioneers, no doubt and we can't take that away from them, but it doesn't mean their stuff was good.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Not this again. Forks like boxxer 35, 888 38 and fox 40 negate the advantage of "bigger tubes", since they are damn big already. Reduction in unsprung weight is a myth, only on the scale of around 5% of all unsprung weight. Unless travel is looking to go beyond 8", bushing overlap isn't a valid reason why. Cheaper and easier to make though, with less torsional stiffness (fore-aft is better, unless you simply increase the size of the right side up fork, see above).

The reason to go to an inverted? It's been a long time since we've seen one. If one comes out, it's a quirky unique fork, and that will probably be good for marketing. Selling forks is more important than making good suspension. If marzocchi was still making 30mm forks, boxxers 32 and manitou 30mm, then I inverted could make sense!
The cost of making an INVERT vs a standard is crazy. You know those Showa forks team Honda was using? You would be lucky to get a good pair of DH tires for the actual cost. Not RnD just parts, labor. Pretty crazy.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The cost of making an INVERT vs a standard is crazy. You know those Showa forks team Honda was using? You would be lucky to get a good pair of DH tires for the actual cost. Not RnD just parts, labor. Pretty crazy.
I'd gladly pay the price of 2 dh tires to get one of those forks ;)

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Yeah, I was surprised that wasn't mentioned. It's the one fairly real advantage, especially since most modern forks are low-volume oil bath just for lubrication with closed carts, so it tends to be easier to keep stuff lubed.
It's about keeping the bushing/seals lubed. Closed carts don't really have anything to do with keeping the chasis lubed.

I saw that xfusion was recently promoting their hiring of Paul Turner (Rockshox). I hope he can do better for them than he did for the last few companies.

I hope he's not one of their engineers. Why anyone would brag about hiring a RS suspension engineer would be beyond me.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Inverted forks on a bicycle really don't do it for me. Mag casing with bridge provides way more torsional stiffness and frankly, I really don't see what these guys are going to achieve that isn't on the market already.

Manitou's new Dorado is apparently a kick arse inverted as they go, heard nothing but good about them and they're ready to be bought right now!

There's not any real innovation in internal suspension design to be had now (maybe positive displacement twin tube is the next step, but that's about it), the chassis is the hardest bit to get right and Fox seem to really get that one right (though I do love my 888 chassis). Once you've got a decent shimmed damper and a good chassis, there's not much more to be had.

I'd like my 888, but with factory Avalanche cartridge (from the 40 version with spring IFP) and a little grease port that goes between the oil and dust seals so I could keep the dust scraper lubed without dissassembly and that'd pretty well make me the perfect fork.

DVO has a $2k 3d printer, that's all so far. You don't need to 3d print things like fork bottoms to know if they'll work, that's what CAD is for. I'd say it's marketing fervor all over again.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I really don't see what these guys are going to achieve that isn't on the market already.
Wait and see. They are pretty much the only suspension company that has legitimate M.S. engineers who are also experienced DH riders. One of whom is the most psychotic, gear obsessed perfectionist I know. I have faith that they will have something truly special.

There's not any real innovation in internal suspension design to be had now
You're kidding right? Just about every fork on the market (except the Dorado maybe) has at least 1 terrible shortcoming

888- Damper, although getting better for sure
40- Condom B.S., draggy chassis, too stiff, although they also seem to be getting better.
Boxxer- I don't know where to begin. Definitely NOT getting better either.

hardest bit to get right and Fox seem to really get that one right
Lol wut? You mean the chassis that's too stiff and still isn't as smooth as a 888?

Once you've got a decent shimmed damper and a good chassis, there's not much more to be had.
And yet almost no one has that right now.

I'd like my 888, but with factory Avalanche cartridge (from the 40 version with spring IFP) and a little grease port that goes between the oil and dust seals so I could keep the dust scraper lubed without dissassembly and that'd pretty well make me the perfect fork.
Definitely! My 888 avy is glorious. But I agree, a grease port would be interesting to have on there. The 888 is pretty easy to pull apart luckily.

DVO has a $2k 3d printer, that's all so far.
I doubt that they own the printer. Probably got some third party to do it. And trust me, they have a LOT more then that so far.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Wait and see. They are pretty much the only suspension company that has legitimate M.S. engineers who are also experienced DH riders.
Pretty sure Craig Seekins has Doctorate in hydrodynamics or something along those lines. I think Fox has some pretty good damper development and design, lots of testing and data gathering equipment, established off-road suspension testing and design. It's not like they just decided to put together some tubes with a hole drilled in between them and called it a damper (kinda what Marzocchi and RS did at times).

These claims are getting kind of ridiculous.

Lets not forget that Marzocchi knew how to build decent dampers for years, they made the real shiver off-road forks for sakes, they just didn't put those cartridges in anything but the ridiculous super-monster forks. It's always been about will with them and "good enough". Now people know better and they can't get away with the crap they put out before, but it's not like they didn't know how to do it or didn't have the technology.

Will it be as good as the Fisker Kharma?

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Oh crap, the answer is obvious. It's going to be magnetic-controlled like the Z1/ZL1 and Ferarris!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Pretty sure Craig Seekins has Doctorate in hydrodynamics or something along those lines.
Craig Seekins of Avalanche has a MS in Mechanical Engineering. "Hydrodynamics" is not even a real degree, much less one with a PhD program. Fluids is a concentration/emphasis of some MSME programs.

Your posts and lack of understanding of, well...anything, just make my head hurt. Please stop.

Ditzy, find me a legitimate 3D printer for $2k and I will drop what I'm doing and go pick it up.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Pretty sure Craig Seekins has Doctorate in hydrodynamics or something along those lines. I think Fox has some pretty good damper development and design, lots of testing and data gathering equipment, established off-road suspension testing and design. It's not like they just decided to put together some tubes with a hole drilled in between them and called it a damper (kinda what Marzocchi and RS did at times).

These claims are getting kind of ridiculous.

Lets not forget that Marzocchi knew how to build decent dampers for years, they made the real shiver off-road forks for sakes, they just didn't put those cartridges in anything but the ridiculous super-monster forks. It's always been about will with them and "good enough". Now people know better and they can't get away with the crap they put out before, but it's not like they didn't know how to do it or didn't have the technology.

Will it be as good as the Fisker Kharma?
Weren't there some crazy rumors about bos developing the first good dampers for Marzo? I remember Olivier Bossard complaining about "some company" that regressed in tech and hinted it was their project.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
40- Condom B.S., draggy chassis, too stiff, although they also seem to be getting better.
Where do you want the fork to flex? If you have two straight objects that slide over each other and then go and bend them slightly they won't slide so well. Maybe flex in a poorly designed fork can make up for a lack of compression damping but I still can't see how any flex is good.

I have only ever had a quick bounce on a 2011 Dorado and it was freaking horrible, it felt like the spring was grinding on the stanchion and had a lovely top out thud. The owner convinced himself they were a good fork but ended up swapping to a Boxxer and liked them a lot more. They may have been a bad fork as the damper did die once or twice in six months.

I am pretty keen to see what DVO bring to the table.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Craig Seekins of Avalanche has a MS in Mechanical Engineering. "Hydrodynamics" is not even a real degree, much less one with a PhD program. Fluids is a concentration/emphasis of some MSME programs.

Your posts and lack of understanding of, well...anything, just make my head hurt. Please stop.

Ditzy, find me a legitimate 3D printer for $2k and I will drop what I'm doing and go pick it up.
Check this out. Only a hair over 2k and 0.001" resolution. Thank you MIT for the disruptive technology!

FORM 1: An affordable, professional 3D printer by Formlabs — Kickstarter
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/formlabs/form-1-an-affordable-professional-3d-printer?ref=search

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Please Ridemonkey users if you are a first generation buyer of a DVO fork 1) Don't bitch postponed delivery dates 2) Don't bitch about quality issues 3) Don't post biased fan boy reviews.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Gemini I never personally found the 40 chassis too stiff, though I am like 100kg (220lbs) so that'd certainly help move things about. I'm fairly sure that Fox has real engineers at work there, the only complaint I have with them is the lack of an oil seal, damper is pretty well nailed.

If they have more than 3d printed parts, perhaps they could present some details about their fork? Even prelim specs would be better than Evil style shots. Again I wish them luck in making a quality product, but it what's going to be better than the Dorado?

Hack I remember seeing a couple of small 3d printers for well under 2k, they're damn cheap now. Do a little searching. You can get a very nice 3 axis cnc aluminium capable router now for $1400 including everything but computer and software. Ok, so the mojo one is like 10k apparently, still an entirely useless prototyper for fork development in my humble opinion, but I digress..

Also, yes RS is terrible in every single way there is to be terrible and I wish their fork program many bent stancions.

Last edited:

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Please Ridemonkey users if you are a first generation buyer of a DVO fork 1) Don't bitch postponed delivery dates 2) Don't bitch about quality issues 3) Don't post biased fan boy reviews.
Ah or they could be a real company instead of a "bike bros" company and win a lot of fans by a) delivering the ****ing fork when they say they will. b) do some testing and if it's made in Asia spec the workshop drawings to the damn enth degree like they're supposed to do so they don't get a **** product. c)..agree