Quantcast

DVO Suspension - potential new player?

Ronnie Dilan

Chimp
Oct 15, 2012
I can't imagine that they rise much beyond environment temperature. If a shock would exceed that significantly you could feel the heat on the surface.

Shock temperature starts at enviromnent temp and then increases during use. Average temps are 120F to 145F in just a matter of minutes.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Ronnie: around what SAE weight oil is the jade designed around?
SAE weight is a very poor indicator of viscosity (the real question) and one oil of SAE 10 might be 8 centistokes (a unit of viscosity), but another may be 10.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I think it also depends on how much damping the rider is running and the speeds they are hitting obstacles. The firmer the compression and the slower the rebound the more/faster the shock will heat up. Higher spring rates and less damping might cause slightly lower temperatures.

I think as long as your damping is consistent throughout your runs then the heat is being managed accordingly for you and your trails.

Ronnie Dilan

Chimp
Oct 15, 2012
SAE weight is a very poor indicator of viscosity (the real question) and one oil of SAE 10 might be 8 centistokes (a unit of viscosity), but another may be 10.

We like to use Pro Circuit PC02 oil in the shocks that we have been testing, but we have also been testing with the Amsoil 5WT. So far we have not found 2 oils that are identical in viscosity or lubrication properties. The PC02 has been some of the best oil that I have used so far.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Ronnie do you happen to know what the retail price is for the DVO Emerald & DVO Jade rear shock?

Ronnie Dilan

Chimp
Oct 15, 2012
Ronnie do you happen to know what the retail price is for the DVO Emerald & DVO Jade rear shock?
Right now the Emerald is $2100.00 and the jade will be around $500.00. These prices are not set in stone yet, but they seem to be the average retail pricing for now.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
yeah, i know. i was just giving him a hard time.. although that is still somewhat of a jump.

not like it matters anyways, these things will sell like hotcakes!

Will distribution with in the US be directly through DVO? Or BTI and QBP?
Good question.
Right now the Avalanche inverted equivalent is $1895 FYI.
Would love to ride both back 2 back over and over.
Have an avy cart Boxxer WC now and a DHS shock.
Super happy with durabality.
Been many years now and i send my sh!t in for rebuild every year or 2nd year if i dont ride much.
The rear shock has been on 3 frames for crying out loud.(Nicoloai Lamda, Bullit then Morewwood Izuimu)
Say what you want but Craig does deliver high end product.
*No official affiliation with Avalanche FYI*
Carry on.....
Heard through the grapevine that Paul Turner does in fact run an AVA Woodie on his personal bike!
I rest my case

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Good question.
Been many years now and i send my sh!t in for rebuild every year or 2nd year if i dont ride much.
The rear shock has been on 3 frames for crying out loud.(Nicoloai Lamda, Bullit then Morewwood Izuimu)
Carry on.....
Heard through the grapevine that Paul Turner does in fact run an AVA Woodie on his personal bike!
I rest my case
just ordered a avy cart for my 40... can't wait

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Good question.
Carry on.....
I rest my case
What is your case but? I missed the point.
Avalanche in 888 is the bench mark/yard stick fork for me. So far my new BOS Idylle RaRe is proving to be as good. Can't wait to try the DVO, new 40, 888(whatever it's called(380?) and a Dorrado that's been on the list for years now. Buyers market, shame DVO are coming out against such stiff competition, but the tuneability should set them straight with good riders.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
What is your case but? I missed the point.
Avalanche in 888 is the bench mark/yard stick fork for me. So far my new BOS Idylle RaRe is proving to be as good. Can't wait to try the DVO, new 40, 888(whatever it's called(380?) and a Dorrado that's been on the list for years now. Buyers market, shame DVO are coming out against such stiff competition, but the tuneability should set them straight with good riders.

Questioning the BOS 'hype'; report back in time. Save the drama for ya mama!

I've heard as much 'meh' about BOS as hype; I've never heard anything but "yeah" about Ava.

Let's see where DVO ends up - looks very promising. Nothing can compare with per user tuning a la Ava or PUSH.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
90% of reports are pretty invalid.
My Avy cart was awesome, but messing around with the virtually infinitely adjustable shim stack was a PITA. Especially without being able to get the same quality oil always.
My Bos feels good so far. I'm rocking the forks and air shock in my Zerode, a mate has the coil in his, and we're both pretty happy. I just don't think I've spent enough time on them tuning them or ridding lots of rocks to say. My mate has and is very happy compared to his 888s and Fox on his G1 Zerode. Different bike though. Bos seals don't seem as good as the 888s. But we'll see.
It all depends on the rider and their mechanical aptitude really I think. Most forks now days are brilliant, pick what one you're capable of tuning I think, and how stiff you think you want them. I'm only a feather weight, so the 36mm Bos stanchions seem fine for me.

curtmuss

Chimp
Jan 29, 2013
im running a bos idylle and i think the tuning is so adjustable you can lose sight/feeling of whats good. They feel good,but not as supple as my pals 888s which makes me wonder.... i cant grumble because i paid f.all for them but they aint mind blowing...

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
Wanting to get the fork to work for you or get the fork to work on the track is two different things.

My Bos may feel a bit harsch compared to Marzocchi, but does Everything that is needed for get a Quick ride through.

I assume that riders mostly want to make Quick times.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i think the black looks one looks much cooler than the ano green. ano green is like the new ano purple, it's just begging to hurry up and go out of style...
as much as i am a fan of color, i'm inclined to agree. esp if you plan on having the fork more than a season or two. i mean, you can only have hulk smash colourways for so many seasons before people will start to talk.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
as much as i am a fan of color, i'm inclined to agree. esp if you plan on having the fork more than a season or two. i mean, you can only have hulk smash colourways for so many seasons before people will start to talk.
how long before they change the knob shapes ala da boxxer? That shape tore the **** out of my hands. The newer propeller shapped knob was awesome.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I've been at Paul's house a few times over the winter and all I saw were Mavericks with their proprietary shocks and Turners with Xfusion shocks. He does have a couple of the never-released Maverick DUC36 forks that are very drool worthy.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
After a few rides on a BOS coil (and an air on the way) I am sold, stuff is really nice, I cant say that its worth the giant price tag yet, but its certainly good. Cant wait to get the RaRe-i only had the "rc" type fork and it was very good

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I am coming from a 888evo and run a RaRe air nowadays.
Right out of the box the fork was as supple as the 888. Stiction doesn't really exist on it.
Tuningwise you can get basically everything between a rigid fork or something whithout damping.

IMO it's one of the greater forks out there. Light package, really impressive craftmanship and it just works.

I hope the BOS holds up like the 888...

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
i ride a bos idylle are air and have a dvo in my hand today... a order is placed for the dvo. bad ass!!

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
That's a nearly 5lbs fork. And I thought my Bos Deville TRC was a porker at 1.9kg
Same weight as a Pike be curious as to its service intervals. You think a 160MM SC fork at mid-low 4LBS is heavy? Really......is there one under 4LBS made?

Last edited:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Same weight as a Pike be curious as to its service intervals. You think a 160MM SC fork at mid-low 4LBS is heavy? Really......is there one under 4LBS made?
Diamond weight from Bikerumor: 4.8 lbs

Pike weights (claimed, albeit my experience says the real weights are very close to claimed): 26” – 1835g (4.05 lb), 27.5” – 1861g (4.10 lb), 29” – 1876g (4.14 lb)
Source:https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/pike-rct3#specs

Edit: I'd like to ride a Diamond, but the Pike isn't going to be easy to beat.

Last edited: