Quantcast

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Ahh, can't hide behind the foreigner card on this one. It's one thing to say front "forks", it's another to pluralize a product name. Rockshox named the fork "Boxxer", therefore calling it Boxxers is simply incorrect (and as a bonus, makes you sound ignorant)...

Pat Tellier

Chimp
Sep 8, 2004
Montreal, QC, Canada
A lot of speculation as been posted on the new DHR based on the renderings seen so far. According to me, much of that speculation has been directed towards aspects of the bike that are basically irrelevant for most.

Based on those images though, I can clearly see some aspects where the DHR can really shine for my personal DH riding style.

I'm a 6'1", 250lbs+ guy with a motocross background. I mostly ride from the back of my bike, with soft front suspension and kinda stiff rear suspension. My main weakness is my lack of proper technique when cornering in tight situations. I don't have any issues with rough stuff in a straight line but I have a hard time weighting the front end properly to maintain traction in corners.

The new DHR is the first bike I see on the market that has its rear center flex that far from the bottom bracket. This means to me that my actual weight on the pedals wouldn't affect the rear suspension as much when cornering. The distance from the pivoting point to the bottom bracket would actually help my weight transfers when cornering by allowing a better weight distribution between the front and rear.

Overall, I like the new design and believe it could make me a better rider. I'll buy one for sure without any concerns about flex, quality and geometry.

Attachments

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
A lot of speculation as been posted on the new DHR based on the renderings seen so far. According to me, much of that speculation has been directed towards aspects of the bike that are basically irrelevant for most.

Based on those images though, I can clearly see some aspects where the DHR can really shine for my personal DH riding style.

I'm a 6'1", 250lbs+ guy with a motocross background. I mostly ride from the back of my bike, with soft front suspension and kinda stiff rear suspension. My main weakness is my lack of proper technique when cornering in tight situations. I don't have any issues with rough stuff in a straight line but I have a hard time weighting the front end properly to maintain traction in corners.

The new DHR is the first bike I see on the market that has its rear center flex that far from the bottom bracket. This means to me that my actual weight on the pedals wouldn't affect the rear suspension as much when cornering. The distance from the pivoting point to the bottom bracket would actually help my weight transfers when cornering by allowing a better weight distribution between the front and rear.

Overall, I like the new design and believe it could make me a better rider. I'll buy one for sure without any concerns about flex, quality and geometry.
very nicely put pat!!
I second that...except for the fact that I was never a motocross rider...

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Well your other weakness may be in suspension setup specific to a DH bike. Everyone has their own preference, as I'm sure you know, but I don't think you'll find anyone with any real knowledge of suspension tuning who would recommend setting up a DH bike with the front end softer than the rear. As soon as you point the bike down hill, and especially when you hit the brakes, all your weight shifts to the front. for a bike to feel balanced when actually riding downhill and not bouncing in the parking lot the front suspension usually has to be set up stiffer than the rear. No idea how they do it in MX, but I'd find it really hard to go full speed on a DH bike with my fork softer than my shock. Maybe it works for you though . . .

Last edited:

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
An real engineer with time on his hands and the proper tools will come up with something sound. There aren't many of those in the bike industry however. Because (guess what!) it doesn't pay out.
While trying not to go into more DW-worship, I'll simply add that in the 10+ years I've been watching him progress through this industry, I've learned a few things about Dave. I've met him a few times as well...

Apparently you don't know his background... he WAS one of those well paid "real" engineers... and he quit to design bike stuff... not for the money or because he wasn't good at what he did before, but for the LOVE of what he does NOW.

Ten years ago, I was like you: the hype annoyed the crap out of me (and it was just the Evil chain guide back then)... but my mind was changed the more I read about him and and talked to him and experienced the passion and dedication to what he does.

Pat Tellier

Chimp
Sep 8, 2004
Montreal, QC, Canada
Well your other weakness may be in suspension setup specific to a DH bike. Everyone has their own preference, as I'm sure you know, but I don't think you'll find anyone with any real knowledge of suspension tuning who would recommend setting up a DH bike with the front end softer than the rear.
I came up with this kind of setup after several years of experimentation, testing, filming and actually objectively analyzing my riding style with a world-class chassis engineer who used to work for the same suspension company as I do (for the last 5 years). I know it sounds weird but the rear is actually not that much stiffer than the front, just enough to rectify my weight's distribution over the bike to weight the front end.

As soon as you point the bike down hill, and especially when you hit the brakes, all your weight shifts to the front.
I don't know about you but I personally try to avoid hitting the brakes that hard while cornering and prefer to complete my braking before hitting the apex of the corner for a faster exit.

for a bike to feel balanced when actually riding downhill and not bouncing in the parking lot the front suspension usually has to be set up stiffer than the rear. No idea how they do it in MX, but I'd find it really hard to go full speed on a DH bike with my fork softer than my shock. Maybe it works for you though . . .
I ride so much off the back end that the front is really light, so the fork feels balanced with the rear. In motocross, they usually have stiff forks and softer shock to skim across the bumps and resist diving when hard cornering.

I'll try to post a photo of me riding tomorrow so you can see my funky position on the bike.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
makes a bit more sense then. If you have a non-traditional riding style or position on the bike that's a different story. rule of thumb for dh racing is the same as mx: stiffer fork, softer shock. and it's not just for cornering either. when i said braking i meant braking on steep, rough terrain in a straight line (going into corners) which is exactly where you don't want a soft fork and a stiff shock. unless you like the feeling of being pitched over the bars with little rear wheel traction, or have a unique riding style such as your own.

Orfen

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
UP, michigan
I ride so much off the back end that the front is really light, so the fork feels balanced with the rear. In motocross, they usually have stiff forks and softer shock to skim across the bumps and resist diving when hard cornering.

I'll try to post a photo of me riding tomorrow so you can see my funky position on the bike.
sounds like you share the same riding style as Kovarik! :D

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
The wierd thing to me about that riding style would be tire choice... do you also run a wider rear tire to handle the disproportionate weight on the rear?

rough rule of thumb is that weight distrib is 40/60 F/R on level terrain, and the opposite on steep terrain, increasing to 100/0 on steep terrain under braking.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
It should be a much simpler thing than you guys are making it out to be. Your weight should be over your feet, and then your body should pivot around your bb as dictated by the grade of the terrain. Do this properly and it makes a huge difference in hand fatigue and cornering traction.

Pat Tellier

Chimp
Sep 8, 2004
Montreal, QC, Canada
It should be a much simpler thing than you guys are making it out to be. Your weight should be over your feet, and then your body should pivot around your bb as dictated by the grade of the terrain. Do this properly and it makes a huge difference in hand fatigue and cornering traction.
I agree that this is the ideal we all should aim towards.

I'm just not that good yet...

Attachments

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
For a very long time I had my rear set up way way softer than the front for this reason in order to force myself into proper form for hitting nasty sections at speed (on a decline). Now that I'm in the habit of doing it, I've gotten much faster and had to stiffen up the rear a little bit, and I'm not getting pitched towards the front since I'm now better at holding that form so I have the fork softened up a tad too. I'm not talking drastic differences though, like a few mm more or less sag each end, along with changes in progression and midstroke support.

Just an observation.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
I'm just not that good yet...
Maybe you would be better going up a bike size and re-centering your weight. Maybe a slightly longer stem as well. What size bike/stem do you run. It looks like your that far over the back to get a correct arm position.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Maybe you would be better going up a bike size and re-centering your weight. Maybe a slightly longer stem as well. What size bike/stem do you run. It looks like your that far over the back to get a correct arm position.

I was going to say something along the same lines...First thing that stood out to me was how tiny his bars look. With newer very slack bikes, a slightly longer stem can be a great tool for getting your weight back over the front. A wider bar would also tend to accentuate front end length, and put you in a better position.

Pat, you are a Big dude.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
If the frame is reasonably well sized, stem length shouldn't really have too much effect. Keep your weight over your feet, and bend your arms - how are they supposed to absorb anything if they're nearly completely straight?

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Were there any DW Split-Pivot frames unveiled at this year's Interbike?
Here or on another forum, DW said that we should be seeing some.
I know that the whold Turner news kind of took the spotlight. So, I thought that I may have missed something.
Thanks!