Quantcast

Gripe

Chimp
Sep 3, 2008
Its late here i'm off to bed, but i'll leave you with this while you're all chapping your lips on Dave Turners arse.,.....

* I dont work at Iron horse
* I dont think any one other than IH should have the D-W
* I'm in no way related to anyone with the last name Ellsworth.
* I know who Dave weagle is, and his role in D-W
* I know who Turner are and how they came about D-W
* I dont think folk initially bought Sundays cos' they were Iron horses
* I dont think Turners QC is rotten.
* I dont thinks IH's is any worse or better.
* I do realize that the D-W liscence was not free
* I dont think the new Turners are re-badgerd IH's (davep you are indesribably ignorant and seem to have made up an imaginary post to reply to)
* and yes, i do still think that Turner could have done better than making them look (for all the world) like what an 09 IH would have looked like.

Oh yeah, Maestro is better too.........:wave:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Jesus, NO! all i did was say that the aesthetics of most of the designs, bear a striking resemblance to the IH Point series bikes, everyone knows about the DW, IH Patent, contract experation etc etc....

I think Turner copuld have done something a bit more adventurous with thier final design, still think its an aesthetic cop out, its like theyvr said, it worked for IH, lets make it a tiiiiiny bit different, all the saps that loved the IH range will buy one, only (in the UK at least) it will be 40-50% more expensive.

I could'nt give a rats ass if IH kept it or flushed it.

It seems that a large part of your argument is based around $$ and 'value', and I do agree that if the price is/was 50% that is not right. I can certainly see why someone looking at that kind of price difference would have a different opinion..

BUT...

These price differences are not because of the mfg pricing, rather import duties and distibutor mark-up/rip-off. A DHR and a Sunday frame are the same price here in the USA. They are both made here. The Asian version of the Sunday was essentially the same price (for something that cost significantly less to produce).
Now if you look at that same sunday comming to the UK from asia vs. a DHR comming to the UK from the US.......there is a significant price difference....but why? Did IH mark their bikes down for the UK? Did Turner jack the prices up for the UK? The answer to both of these questions is NO...

The differences in price come from distibutors and duty descrepancies for products made in different countries and imported to the UK.

As I mentioned before, products that are generally 'affordable' in the UK, are way overpriced here. Orange bikes no longer are imported as they were so expensive. Hope brakes are 2.5 times as much as something like avid or shimano here, yet, in the words of 4 UK ers I talked to last weekend at whistler who were head to toe in Hope, "the stuff is cheap at home".

I also brought up things like warranty and CS because for any and all consumers this IS part of the value of a bike.

I do understand where you are comming from with the prices you pay for US made goods, but that is a factor of the world economy, not a policy of any US bike mfg.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Its late here i'm off to bed, but i'll leave you with this while you're all chapping your lips on Dave Turners arse.,.....

* I dont work at Iron horse
* I dont think any one other than IH should have the D-W
* I'm in no way related to anyone with the last name Ellsworth.
* I know who Dave weagle is, and his role in D-W
* I know who Turner are and how they came about D-W
* I dont think folk initially bought Sundays cos' they were Iron horses
* I dont think Turners QC is rotten.
* I dont thinks IH's is any worse or better.
* I do realize that the D-W liscence was not free
* I dont think the new Turners are re-badgerd IH's (davep you are indesribably ignorant and seem to have made up an imaginary post to reply to)* and yes, i do still think that Turner could have done better than making them look (for all the world) like what an 09 IH would have looked like.

Oh yeah, Maestro is better too.........:wave:

Sorry, i'm gonns start my first reply with a point in fact, at least as far as i can see....

I dont think i can stand much more of this friggin' Sweet, Stoked, Rad, Sick attitude to what is nothing more than a complete line of new Iron Horses with a different sticker,

Anyone who pays 1 penny more than they would for ANY Iron Horse from the last few years needs thier bumps feelin' i cant belive the crap that Turner is pedaling here, they havent even made an effort to differentiate from Iron Horse.

On the other hand, Its money for old rope, pay a license fee and run with a design that works, charge everyone for your name and a bit of bottom bracket CNC'ing hey presto your brand is re-born on the coat tails and the succes of another one.
O.K. - so that was just a figment of our imagination then?

Really?

Dude - you're full of it. :biggrin:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'll say again, these bikes look great. Looking forward to what the relationship brings.

Gripe

Chimp
Sep 3, 2008
Ha... Nice. Gripe:

Good one cliffy, did you make / think that yourself, or was it meant to be some sort of ironioc statemment on the subject of almost identically re-hashing someone elses ideas and stylings?

Davep, I dunno mibbe its a culture thing, I'm perfectly lucid about what i wrote. Even someone as stupid as you clearly think i am, would know that that was not a literal statement and a metaphore for the lack in creativity of the styling of these bikes.

hence my statement making clear that i do not think thay are left over IH's.

It apears sarcasm, irony and general attempts at wit, are lost round these parts?

And yes, that chick is hot

Now i really am off to bed..........................

Last edited:

dondon

Monkey
YES.

But one thing is certain:

We both agree this chick is HOT:

:biggrin:
how does one of my pics get poached and find itself onto this thread...oh wait this is the internet where anything goes, i should have know better.

Sunday's and DHR's are the only DH bikes ive ever ridden. So im stoked for all the Daves in the equation.
cheers

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
how does one of my pics get poached and find itself onto this thread...oh wait this is the internet where anything goes, i should have know better.

Sunday's and DHR's are the only DH bikes ive ever ridden. So im stoked for all the Daves in the equation.
cheers
Time for an Intense now! :biggrin:

Nice pic BTW.

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaavage machine!
altough what do I do with my 08 DHR? it is going to be so outdated now, it probably won't work anymore now that it has a DW-Link stepbrother!

good jaysus....

keep up the good work Dave Turner and Dave Weagle, it's nice to see companies changing their ideas, I am all for it! lets see how she rides now, although it looks amazing, I am really digging the whole mass centralisation going on it is going to be one nimble machine me thinks!

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Some say DW appears on Japanese banknotes and after eating printing ink, he obtains the ability to fly.

Sorry, too much Top Gear on the DVR tonight. are we at 11 yet?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Can I run a Cane Creek double barrel on the 09 DHR?

And what are the torque values for the links?

Just thought we might as well get this started.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Can I run a Cane Creek double barrel on the 09 DHR?

And what are the torque values for the links?

Just thought we might as well get this started.

In 2011, after never taking the time to keep it properly lubed, how do i get the shock pin out?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Not really. Not at all actually. Turner has had some of the biggest shortcomings in CS I've seen in terms of total unwillingness to help owners of older frames (original owners and second-hand), albeit that poor CS is collinear with their good CS. They just have been known to treat the same CS issue in two radically different ways.

Flame away.
Shortcommings? My 6pack was just out of warrenty and developed a little crack, they shipped me a new front triangle and rockers. I ride hard and I wasn't suprised that I had finally done something like that to the frame, but Turner was simply outstanding, and yeah, I know of no other company that does as much no-questions asked stuff or no-hassle stuff as Turner. The simply want to get you riding, which is real amazing.

In any case, the IH vs Turner debate is funny as heck. Some of the fun things with my (and my friend's) IH included flexy chainstays, chainstays that broke, rear end that was misaligned, improper shock hardware, poor suspension action, and so on. Lets not forget the sundays speced with the wrong shocks or all the pivot problems the 7points and other bikes have had. They're simply not on the same planet, and I've owned both. I'll continue to support turner because they support the sport and the riders.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey

cheers
Sven - sorry man... :(

When I originally put that up I'm pretty sure I credited it as coming from Decline though. Didn't think it would be a big deal on the forum. My apologies.

Last edited:

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
The links on the DHR are the shortest I've ever seen. I'd love to see how the axle path differs from the current single pivot...

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Sorry to um get off topic. But can someone please map the axle path.
The shock has viscious rising rate, putting the emphasis on shock quality rather than design.
I poorly mapped the wheel path as slightly rearward(possibly just vertical,I don't have a printer).
I've not put my mind to work on if it'll have break induced squat or what affect the chain will have on the suspension, thought I'd plant the seed for discussion on that, as I have other things to do.
The new Giant looks more like the IH than this Turner(talking the DH).
For now I guess the main benefits will be in the breaking and better bump compliance compared to the DHR.
Judging by the links, it'll run a lot of sag and the chain will pull it into it's sag a touch, but this is only my guess at a glance.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Not really. Not at all actually. Turner has had some of the biggest shortcomings in CS I've seen in terms of total unwillingness to help owners of older frames (original owners and second-hand), albeit that poor CS is collinear with their good CS. They just have been known to treat the same CS issue in two radically different ways.

Flame away.

You're doing it wrong.
Seriously. I've seen a lot of people get outstanding service from Turner and I've never seen anybody get screwed.