Quantcast

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
Got DW to take a minute or two out of his schedule to answer a few questions about the bike. Not many, but I can't afford his hourly rate to answer more questions. :D

awesome thanks for that it's always interesting to see what mr weagle has to say, particularly on this extremely hot topic!

big cal

Monkey
Nov 18, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
I don't know if i'm the only one to say it, but i'll say it again, the DHR looks fan-****ing-tastic! The rendering makes it look a little complex/mashed up, but i'm sure the real thing with a nice racey build around it will look killer! It's my dream bike for sure...

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Does anyone know if the geometry of the new DHR is the same or close to that of the Sunday? I ask because, although the DW-Link no doubt works, the thing that set the Sunday apart from me was the geometry and the body position it put you in. I'd happily take a bike which wasn't quite as good in the CADworkspivotfluiddynamicsratecurvewhatsitsname if I can work with the angles better.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
Does anyone know if the geometry of the new DHR is the same or close to that of the Sunday? I ask because, although the DW-Link no doubt works, the thing that set the Sunday apart from me was the geometry and the body position it put you in. I'd happily take a bike which wasn't quite as good in the CADworkspivotfluiddynamicsratecurvewhatsitsname if I can work with the angles better.
with the uber-success of the Sunday I can't imagine why they wouldn't all but copy those geo numbers.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Looks flexy?

From this;
Got DW to take a minute or two out of his schedule to answer a few questions about the bike. Not many, but I can't afford his hourly rate to answer more questions. :D

"All in all though, link spacing is not something that is really a focus. I'm looking more at absolute suspension performance and structural performance."

Say what now? Link spacing not a focus? Structural performance? Form or Function Dave - I've got to guess this design is compromised structurally from the need for it to LOOK like a Turner. Carrot's not withstanding, pivots close together = less stiff in torsion (though I guess the come-back is 'less stiff, but still above a required threshold')

big cal

Monkey
Nov 18, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
Wow, from a rendering? :crazy:
It mostly comes from trust i have in Dave's previous frames, that i will like how this frame looks in person. I like the industrial/workhorse style...

I am surprised by how much everyone thinks the DHR is a ugly Beast... i agree the rendering isn't super appealing but use a little imagination!!

To ward of the bad vibes of that crazy smily, here's old mate :banana:

big cal

Monkey
Nov 18, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
From this;

"All in all though, link spacing is not something that is really a focus. I'm looking more at absolute suspension performance and structural performance."

Say what now? Link spacing not a focus? Structural performance? Form or Function Dave - I've got to guess this design is compromised structurally from the need for it to LOOK like a Turner. Carrot's not withstanding, pivots close together = less stiff in torsion (though I guess the come-back is 'less stiff, but still above a required threshold')
I think you missed the point... he didn't focus solely on link spacing, instead absolute structural performance, ie, by putting material where it needs to be and using large diameter pivots = stiff enough chassis for DH racing!

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I was thinking about that too, but heres what i came up with.

If you look at quite a few VPP bikes, the linkages are further apart, which in theory is like holding the swingarm at the widest point, thereby making things nice and stiff.

But the single pivot DHR has everything in one spot, and its still stiff.

So.

I figure, wide links does not necessarily make a stiff bike. Its how they are done thats key. And again, not to repeat myself, but dave and dave are smart little buggers, and know a think or two about building bikes, so I am able to give them the benefit of the doubt, at least until proven wrong in the real world.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
I think you missed the point... he didn't focus solely on link spacing, instead absolute structural performance, ie, by putting material where it needs to be and using large diameter pivots = stiff enough chassis for DH racing!
Possibly I missed the point. Possibly its smoke and mirrors to obscure a compromised design.

Most likely it doesn't matter that much and the bike will rock.

:cheers:

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
I figure, wide links does not necessarily make a stiff bike. Its how they are done thats key. And again, not to repeat myself, but dave and dave are smart little buggers, and know a think or two about building bikes, so I am able to give them the benefit of the doubt, at least until proven wrong in the real world.
All else being equal, wider spacing always means stiffer. Always.

The sizing of pivots/bearings/shafts etc is about wear/serviceability, crush/shear stresses, look ('oversize' this and that = extra burly in the minds of huxxors) more than torsional stiffness of the chassis.

They know a lot / benefit of the doubt - damn right. And the real world is where it matters of course, I'm just being a pedantic e-nerd.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I understand completely, and I agree about the stiffness bit. But, look at the current DHR. Everything is relatively compact, yet it makes for a nice stiff bike. So, I guess really, we'll see when it comes out.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
For Christs sake can we get rid of that "Official Ironhorse/DW Tech and Tuning Section" thread, it is so passe. We need an Official Turner/DW Tech and Tuning Section so I can inter-tune my new Inter-bike!

Seriously though, if the production model looks at all like the picture, that bike is going to ride like it is a feather weight. Center of mass could not be any more low and centered than that!

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I understand completely, and I agree about the stiffness bit. But, look at the current DHR. Everything is relatively compact, yet it makes for a nice stiff bike. So, I guess really, we'll see when it comes out.

You're actually right Jeff, the pivots themselves and their integration into the frame is what matters most to how 'stiff' a rear end is. Rollers; Ball bearings; the size; using an axle for the rollers?; etc. There's no such thing as 'all things equal' when comparing pivot designs. Single pivots can put more weight (bigger bearings, use hardened shafts, etc) in one pivot, whereas VPPesque frames must distribute that weight over several pivots. Obviously the structure of the arms play a factor, but we're comparing force distributed over one beef axel vs 4 or 5 weaker ones.

Take for instance a Nicolai M-Pire. Compare to a Cortina 8......

Last edited:

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
For Christs sake can we get rid of that "Official Ironhorse/DW Tech and Tuning Section" thread, it is so passe. We need an Official Turner/DW Tech and Tuning Section so I can inter-tune my new Inter-bike!

Seriously though, if the production model looks at all like the picture, that bike is going to ride like it is a feather weight. Center of mass could not be any more low and centered than that!
Ride like a feather weight? It's going to be a feather weight!

From Pinkbike interview with Dave Weagle

The Sunday was impressively light, but this bike's frame takes it to a new level in my opinion. Alone it weighs in the 7's, and in the low 8's with shock. Its light and strong at the same time.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey

Lol - I think that thead will be around as long as people are ripping on their 05 - 09 dw-link Sundays...

As for a "Turner / dw-link Tech. & Tuning Section" - WAY ahead of you man...

:biggrin:

...just need to get a hold of dw one of these days when he's NOT busy... which is nearly impossible.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
True, but longer links are always flexier. Always.
Links themselves should never be flexing. The pivots in either end are what flex. A longer link can sometimes offer more mechanical advantage to torsionally load the bearing in the end.

That said, the link layout on that DHR is simply retarded from a structural standpoint. I should buy stock in whoever is supplying pivot/linkage kits for that thing.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
That said, the link layout on that DHR is simply retarded from a structural standpoint. I should buy stock in whoever is supplying pivot/linkage kits for that thing.
Can you show me the links on the bikes you designed and successfully brought to market? I'd just like to compare.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
I was thinking about that too, but heres what i came up with.

If you look at quite a few VPP bikes, the linkages are further apart, which in theory is like holding the swingarm at the widest point, thereby making things nice and stiff.

But the single pivot DHR has everything in one spot, and its still stiff.

Single pivot DHR v

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Links themselves should never be flexing. The pivots in either end are what flex. A longer link can sometimes offer more mechanical advantage to torsionally load the bearing in the end.

Dude I know.

The top link is pretty much just like the one in this picture except with big burly large diameter hardware instead of pinner little bolts,........ and the bottom one is like the lower chainstay up through the yolk, except with one more pivot (again with big burly large diameter hardware) and a vertical support between the chainstay and seatstay whereas this one in the pic has none.

hee hee

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
well thats not nice of you at all! Clearly you have all the answers to building the ultimate DH bike of all time, and yet you hold it back for something as trivial as money??

Won't somebody please think of the children.

What I mean is, put up or shut up.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
well thats not nice of you at all! Clearly you have all the answers to building the ultimate DH bike of all time, and yet you hold it back for something as trivial as money??

Must spread rep!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006

An real engineer with time on his hands and the proper tools will come up with something sound. There aren't many of those in the bike industry however. Because (guess what!) it doesn't pay out.

Specialized has the best paid and best equipped engineers in the industry, so their bikes are generally the most sound. Their ergonomics are just kinda quirky.

The top link is pretty much just like the one in this picture except with big burly large diameter hardware instead of pinner little bolts,........ and the bottom one is like the lower chainstay up through the yolk, except with one more pivot (again with big burly large diameter hardware) and a vertical support between the chainstay and seatstay whereas this one in the pic has none.
Any idea what the shear limit is of a M10 bolt? Or the tension required to undo precision ground threads at the proper torque? How about for an M4? How much load do you think is put on that bolt being translated into a bending moment? Collect those figures and I think you'll see that for torsional loads any high quality bolt will provide the proper tightness for a secondary pivot, which is all it is there for. Bolt size is irrelevant except for contact width on the inner race of a bearing if it is actually in contact.

Now pivot SPACING is what comes into play (specifically spacing between upper and lower)...and the distribution/equalizing of twisting loads and torsion. Sundays were stiff for this reason. So are Karpiels, Canfields, Glory's, V10's/M3's. With a single pivot, the width (stance) of the pivot and the contact diameter of the bearing is what will make it stiff.

Grab a hockey stick or something, hold it up in front of you with your hands wide and elbows locked, and have someone try to twist it out of your hands, then put your hands 6" apart and have them do it again. Big difference.

Last edited:

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
I wonder how long the DU will last is crap weather. Loads of rotation in that link and right in-line with the crap coming off the back wheel.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Damn... this means my recently purchased 08 DHR is worth like what? 10c? Awesome.

Joking aside, it's gonna be a hell of an interested 2009. Especially with what some of the industry folk let slip after a few drinks at Stromlo ;)

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Links themselves should never be flexing. The pivots in either end are what flex.
Dude, you just forfeited your right to comment on anything engineering or design related for the rest of your life.

On a more generic note about questions regarding geometry and suspension performance, Dave designed the Sunday years ago. I suspect he learned some things since then. He's smart like that.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Dude, you just forfeited your right to comment on anything engineering or design related for the rest of your life.

On a more generic note about questions regarding geometry and suspension performance, Dave designed the Sunday years ago. I suspect he learned some things since then. He's smart like that.
Not really. If they're designed and tempered right they shouldn't be flexing a bit, at least nowhere in the same order of magnitude as a rotating/sliding interface. Sometimes they do though in a poor/weak design. Other times from fatigue.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Not really. If they're designed and tempered right they shouldn't be flexing a bit, at least nowhere in the same order of magnitude as a rotating/sliding interface. Sometimes they do though in a poor/weak design. Other times from fatigue.
Dude, links are not tempered, at least if we are talking about the aluminum control links which I hope you are. They are machined from either the cast or forged billets. So the only design parameter to take into account vs. a cast billet is that with forged you can modify grain structure for increase strength via such things as hoop stress.

I'm with Ohio, booooo

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Dude, links are not tempered, at least if we are talking about the aluminum control links which I hope you are. They are machined from either the cast or forged billets. So the only design parameter to take into account vs. a cast billet is that with forged you can modify grain structure for increase strength via such things as hoop stress.

I'm with Ohio, booooo
Damn dude, did you go to a tech school?!?!;)

PS - I love Dave Turner. Can't really say I'm excited about all this, as I've always loved the feel of my 2 Horst link Turners over DW link bikes (for XC/trail anyway), but I'd be interested to see how the new DHR rides.