Quantcast

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
wow you guys are making me puke

armchair engineers making assumptions on the structural integrity and performance of suspension components and design all based on a one dimensional computer rendering of the frame and a couple of internet interview snippets.

go outside and ride your bikes, this is rediculous.

and if you're an actual engineer and not of the armchair variety, you should be even more ashamed of yourself

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence

armchair engineers making assumptions on the structural integrity and performance of suspension components and design all based on a one dimensional computer rendering of the frame and a couple of internet interview snippets.

and if you're an actual engineer and not of the armchair variety, you should be even more ashamed of yourself
Agreed. Ahh the interblag!

I'll give my opinion but I charge 90~150 per hr ;). Based on the pixilation and resolution of my computer screen I think they'll ride nice!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

You know one reason why DW-Link bikes are so popular is the internet accessibility of Dave Weigle? I believe the same can be said for Dave Turner.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Hm this seems to be like trying to explain a rubix cube to an infant. I'll enjoy my armchair here at work, thanks. Over it.

As much as I would like to be fond of it since I typically am of Turners work, it still looks like a disaster...

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
You know who you should work for? NASA. They could pay you a million a year, fire all the other engineers, and just have you point out all the engineering flaws in space craft simply by looking at doodles on a cocktail napkin.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
They couldn't fire all the other engineers, because then I would have nobody to bag on. Otherwise, excellent idea.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Hm this seems to be like trying to explain a rubix cube to an infant. I'll enjoy my armchair here at work, thanks. Over it.

As much as I would like to be fond of it since I typically am of Turners work, it still looks like a disaster...
actually this is more like you explaining the structural faults of the rubix cube by looking at a picture of one side of it.

what you should really get over is yourself.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
With a single pivot, the width (stance) of the pivot and the contact diameter of the bearing is what will make it stiff.

Looks pretty wide on this one............and with TWO contact points on the front triangle.

You're still just going off a drawing. These don't exist yet and you're making claims that actually do have some merit but without seeing the execution, none of us knows jackshlt yet...........including you. Turner knows what he's doing. He's never made a bad dh bike.

I'm in mammoth next weekend. Let's wrestle hockey sticks.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not really. If they're designed and tempered right they shouldn't be flexing a bit, at least nowhere in the same order of magnitude as a rotating/sliding interface. Sometimes they do though in a poor/weak design. Other times from fatigue.
Wow. You really think that metal components aren't supposed to flex??? :bonk:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
this thread is more full of enginerds who don't ride their bike then any I have ever seen on ridemonkey. I have been moving the past 2 weeks and have touched my bike more then most of you. Go ride one, they're fun. Lets wait and see what dw and turner come up with together, they both have a good enough track record (have either ever come up with a bad application of a "bike"?) that I have no doubt the end result will be fun to ride. Now lets wait and see what they come up with

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
this thread is more full of enginerds who don't ride their bike then any I have ever seen on ridemonkey. I have been moving the past 2 weeks and have touched my bike more then most of you. Go ride one, they're fun. Lets wait and see what dw and turner come up with together, they both have a good enough track record (have either ever come up with a bad application of a "bike"?) that I have no doubt the end result will be fun to ride. Now lets wait and see what they come up with
I was riding a 95 gt steel hardtail with a shockster bolt on suspension rear end and lawill leader fork all last week........with a bob trailer. Beat that.

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
Glad to see Turner is back to a true small size with lots of standover ( 28" ). I am sure the bike will be well thought out and ride well. March of 09 makes it a bit tight though to plan for the 09 season. Right on the hairy edge of when most want their bikes to be in.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I was riding a 95 gt steel hardtail with a shockster bolt on suspension rear end and lawill leader fork all last week........with a bob trailer. Beat that.
Always wanted to try out that fork. A couple years ago, I saw a guy get off the Larkspur ferry with one bolted to the front of a yeti arc fro... straight out of 1995, complete with ringle everything in ano blue, and pristine full xtr circa 95. Stunned.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Enjoy your armchair work.

BTW, what's the difference between a turner 6-pack and a ventana of similer travel? The 6 pack has a MUCH longer linkage, and yeah, it flexes more. It's still a pretty rigid bike, but the ventana is stiffer yet due to it's shorter linkage.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Enjoy your armchair work.

BTW, what's the difference between a turner 6-pack and a ventana of similer travel? The 6 pack has a MUCH longer linkage, and yeah, it flexes more. It's still a pretty rigid bike, but the ventana is stiffer yet due to it's shorter linkage.
One is made by Turner, the other is made by Ventana.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Yeah, but you forgot to mention he never actually touched the pen with his hands. AAAAALLL mind control.

The weird thing was, he was drawing a puppy.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Random Facts About Dave Weagle:

- Of the ten dimensions proposed by String Theory, dimensions five through ten exist only in the mind of Dave Weagle.

- Dave Weagle can reverse any combustion reaction by giving it the finger.

- While we all complain about gas prices, Dave Weagle's car runs on Obsession by Calvin Klein.

- Dave Weagle created the Earth as an expansion pack to Command & Conquer.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
- Dave Weagle can not only see the entire color spectrum, but can also see 4 forms of invisible light too, and 2 colors only seen by Dave Weagle, Breeng, and Toe.

- Dave Weagle attended a Hip Hop Concert once, but was barred after he applied the DW Link to the crowd, and they could no longer bob thier heads.

- Dave Weagle does not procreate like people. He simply divides.

- Dave Weagle does not own the patent on Dave Weagle. Don't you forget that Dave. I own you.

- e13 bashguards were originally made from Dave's Toenail clippings. The idea was abandoned when one of the first hits nearly collapsed Diablo.

- Dave Weagle has split-pivot knees.

I'm done.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

- Of the ten dimensions proposed by String Theory, dimensions five through ten exist only in the mind of Dave Weagle.

- While we all complain about gas prices, Dave Weagle's car runs on Obsession by Calvin Klein.

:rofl:

PS just a technicality I thought string theory required 11 dimensions?

Edit, my bad. I got confused with M-Theory.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
- Dave Weagle can not only see the entire color spectrum, but can also see 4 forms of invisible light too, and 2 colors only seen by Dave Weagle, Breeng, and Toe.

- Dave Weagle attended a Hip Hop Concert once, but was barred after he applied the DW Link to the crowd, and they could no longer bob thier heads.

- Dave Weagle does not own the patent on Dave Weagle. Don't you forget that Dave. I own you.

- e13 bashguards were originally made from Dave's Toenail clippings. The idea was abandoned when one of the first hits nearly collapsed Diablo.

I'm done.
Dropmachine.com needs an editorial section.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)

command and conquer red alert!!

best game ever!

the skirmishes were where it was at. had to get the ore trucks out and make you cash so you could buy some sick stuff like teslicoils to zap enemies, spy planes, bombs, soldiers.

good times

ehh comrades?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
:clapping:

command and conquer red alert!!

best game ever!

the skirmishes were where it was at. had to get the ore trucks out and make you cash so you could buy some sick stuff like teslicoils to zap enemies, spy planes, bombs, soldiers.

good times

ehh comrades?
way to steer this short school bus right off the road..into a guard rail

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It is a myth that Dave Weagle invented the Internet. However, the Internet was invented so that Dave Weagle could minister to his many followers.

When Dave Weagle and Sam Hill was joined for the first time, the universe was created by their love.

mushik

Chimp
May 9, 2007
ok...after reading 24 (25 yet?) pages I have made my decision:

1. I will only post once in this thread
2. I will not sell my Sunday
3. I will buy the new DHR
4. I will ride them both and see which one I like more
5. I must win the lottery
6. I should go out and ride more
7. I shouldn't have spent all this time reading this useless thread
8. I gotta get some sleep

over&out :monkey:

eRod

Chimp
May 16, 2007

Wow and I though the Chuck Norris ones were funny. I nearly pissed my pants laughing so hard, had to shut my office door. Speaking of Chuck Norris; I wonder what would happen if two such great forces of nature where to collide??