Quantcast

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
wooooooooow, it's totally different than every other split pivot bike. The main pivot looks a little high for a three-ring/xc bike too...but we don't care about bob anymore, do we...

yawn. slap a DW sticker on it and people will eat it up. He should just sell stickers.
I dunno about that..... I've been on DW link bikes since 2002 (or was it 2001, I forget. Original Hollowpoint, then a MK3 and two 7pts) and I LOVE the DW link. Way better than the single pivot's i've owned, the VPPs, and the Lawill. That being said, I'm not yet sold on the split pivot. To me it is just a "good" design for those that can't afford a DW link bike.

Change my mind Dave.:)

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
this....and finishing updating their website....and bringing back the fist t shirt.

Hell yeah. Though I'm a big fan of my unicorn shirt too.

(photo of some other dude used for illustrative purposes)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I also don't like how it weighs 68 pounds, and how it stinks of fish.

Pictures say a lot you know.
:rofl:

I didn't mean to suggest I can tell everything about a bike's geo from a picture. Quite the opposite. Really all I was getting that is that the BB looks a little high. That's an easy one to eyeball because you just compare relative to the axles.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
How dare this post be updated with new pictures of bike with a NON REAL Patent. My eyes are burning with this UNTRUTH. Sacreligious techno whores!

I will only acknowedge Trek split pivots bikes as being real and valid in the application of.................blah blah phucn blah................

Did I say "Trek split pivot".....whoops.......silly me.

eatmyshorts

Monkey
Jun 18, 2010
South OZ
wooooooooow, it's totally different than every other split pivot bike. The main pivot looks a little high for a three-ring/xc bike too...but we don't care about bob anymore, do we...

yawn. slap a DW sticker on it and people will eat it up. He should just sell stickers.
Hang on - this could be a marketable product here - sell DW stickers as a performance upgrade! People would automatically feel the difference in performance as soon as the sticker is on any bike...

Not bagging DW - just people who are slaves to all the marketing machines out there..

:D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
wow, that was kind of a dick post on my part. my bad....

i still think the pivot is high for an xc bike...inches above the big ring? thing is going to be crazy in the granny...

Last edited:

eatmyshorts

Monkey
Jun 18, 2010
South OZ
sorry - i took that one too far...

yeah you are right about that piv location..

Shimano are certainly pushing the 30sp thing - SRAM 20...

I guess this leaves it all open until the consumer makes the choice of direction with their wallets... hence indirectly choosing where the IC needs to be...

The impression that I am getting is that most trail/xc frames are being tweaked to take advantage of the smaller and less gap between the chain rings..

Maybe Patrick just smash it in the big ring all the time!...

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
The current Showa works so well, i just put a full SRAM 2X10 on it and it rides amazing - so no need to upgrade.....
There is something about the Shova that just makes it SHRED. Its so dialed and can really handle pretty much anything you want to do on it. Even dirt jumping :)

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
wow, that was kind of a dick post on my part. my bad....

i still think the pivot is high for an xc bike...inches above the big ring? thing is going to be crazy in the granny...
Dude, respectfully, no.
Even if your analysis was on base, and it's not, you need to remember you can barely buy chainrings smaller than 26teeth these days or big rings larger than 40. Decoupling braking, pivot location and leverage ratio is the essence of Split-Pivot. In other words, don't judge a Dynamics Package based on one vague data-point.

XC bikes aren't for people who flick their gravity dropper switches while suckling their camelbacks. They are meant to be pedaled as hard as possible for as long as possible by supremely fit people with deep-seated self-esteem issues.
As a reformed member of that camp I can say, without a doubt, the Zula is a bike for doing just that. The geometry tells you what it want's to do, and that is destroy singletrack for two or 3 hours at a pace most riders can ride for about 5 minutes.
brrrrrap!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
you need to remember you can barely buy chainrings smaller than 26teeth these days or big rings larger than 40.
I've got a few 4x22's I'd be willing to part with. and I think a 44t.

:spam:

XC bikes aren't for people who flick their gravity dropper switches while suckling their camelbacks. They are meant to be pedaled as hard as possible for as long as possible by supremely fit people with deep-seated self-esteem issues.
sig material right there.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Dude, respectfully, no.
Even if your analysis was on base, and it's not, you need to remember you can barely buy chainrings smaller than 26teeth these days or big rings larger than 40. Decoupling braking, pivot location and leverage ratio is the essence of Split-Pivot. In other words, don't judge a Dynamics Package based on one vague data-point.

As a reformed member of that camp I can say, without a doubt, the Zula is a bike for doing just that. The geometry tells you what it want's to do, and that is destroy singletrack for two or 3 hours at a pace most riders can ride for about 5 minutes.
brrrrrap!
yo...i'm trying to seriously tone back my negativity and in particular weagle bashing (that sounds kind of dirty) but i feel compelled to respond since this is the internet.

A) I agree wholeheartedly on XC race bikes...but unless I'm mistaken, this is a 150mm Allmountain (or what we used to call XC), or trail, or whatever bike...not an xc race sled. In turn, that means this bike is exactly intended for the post dropping camel teat nursing crowd you just bashed.
Second, the standard setup sold by shimano, and unless I'm mistaken sram, is 22-32-44, as found on XTr, xt, and LX. Some people may run 28-38 dual ring setup, or whatever, but 150mm and a designation as all-mountain suggests full capability, both hammering, dh, and fun on the trails use.
iii. Unless I'm sorely mistaken, as has the rest of the MTB world since the advent of rear suspension, a pivot above the chainline causes chain torque to pull the rear wheel down, or "bob", or pedal feedback, or anti-squat.
11ty. That anti-squat force is going to be huge in the granny gear, on this bike with it's relatively high pivot to the small ring, which you'd find on a triple ring equipped AM bike, such as this one.
I know you love DP, but I'm only talking about one part of the equation...braking and leverage is not what I'm concerned on. If you have turds on one of the three, then the bike might be a turd....split pivot is indeed great in the sense you can optimize independently, but if it's not optimal, what good is it?

of course, if you're talking about the Zula, which I wasn't, then the pivot is right about in line with the middle and large rings, making it have little feedback in either of those rings...which is all you would really want for an XC race bike.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I don't bother to watch internet videos, actually, so I was, In fact, talking about the Zula, which is, in fact what appears to be a very fast 4" xc bike.

I now remove my self from what appears to be an epic fail.