Quantcast

DW owed a million bucks!

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
Scoff at my $5-$15 guesstimate all you want. But considering how many licensed frame are being sold each year (hell if I know, but a lot I'm sure), that's a lot of scratch for something you have no costs in producing.

Who's closer, me or Mr. $400 per frame?
First of all I am not going to tell you what it costs are because I dont not know "all" the costs, they do vary based on the terms I posted earlier. There is no "flat" fee. And your estimate of 5-15 dollars is closer than $400. But it is not that cheap. It seems to start around $45-60 per frame and goes up from there. Keep in mind that if your production costs go up, your retail costs need to go up as well to make the same margins, hence one of the reasons why dw link bikes cost more than a simple single pivot, and while I particularly dont like the way dw link big bikes feel, it doesnt mean that the design is "off" and didnt take time to come up with, you have to recoup your costs for your time and prototyping somewhere.

Old_Sckool

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
First of all I am not going to tell you what it costs are because I dont not know "all" the costs, they do vary based on the terms I posted earlier. There is no "flat" fee. And your estimate of 5-15 dollars is closer than $400. But it is not that cheap. It seems to start around $45-60 per frame and goes up from there. Keep in mind that if your production costs go up, your retail costs need to go up as well to make the same margins, hence one of the reasons why dw link bikes cost more than a simple single pivot, and while I particularly dont like the way dw link big bikes feel, it doesnt mean that the design is "off" and didnt take time to come up with, you have to recoup your costs for your time and prototyping somewhere.
$45 to $60 seems plausible (although, that still seems a little high). My info was based on data from around 2003. So I guess quadrupling is certainly possible in that time frame.

Might explain why so many builders are dropping it for other alternatives. That and the fact that consumers are starting to figure out that Horst isn't necessarily the Holy Grail of suspension design after all.

Personally, I think its good if licensing fees drives designers to other alternatives. It just feeds innovation.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Is it only me or has this tread gone retarded with all the "Gues the FSR price game?" Do I get a donkey when I win?

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Clearly I won this special Olympics race and now I would like my donut shop please and also the donkey that was offered.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
I'm not on just crack, but that $400 dollar figure was from if my memory serves me correctly (which it usually doesn't) an article on Turner switching from FSR to SP.

$5-15 per frame...you sir are on a seven day mushroom trip.
A $15 cost per frame equals much more than a $15 increase in the MSRP of a frame.

Donuts are tasty, oily and sweet.