Quantcast

DW Sunday ?

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
So this question is for DW or anybody in the know of how things work. Since IH is in the crapper there is concern about warrenty and parts for existing Sunday owners. I'm assuming everybody is SOL on the warrenty side of things but, I am wondering, does DW have the rights and or ability to produce replacement parts such as linkage and bearing kits and possibly rear triangles which seem to be the most common points of wear/failure. Can e13 produce "after market" parts on a bike that DW designed? Granted he may only hold the pattent on the actual suspension design and maybe not the bike itself, but where is the line drawn? I understand that there is a lot tied up in the courts currently and I believe IH owes DW a boat load of cash but it would be an encouraging option.

It just seems like a shame that owners of such a great bike are left hanging in the breeze. May be that's the way it is..

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
DW licensed the suspension system to IH - as far as i know there are no other patented systems on the sunday so anybody can produce linkage plates, rear triangles etc if they would like to.

I would think DW is more interested in persuing the Turner DW relationship and the Evil bike now than making parts for the Iron horse.

Is there much call for replacement linkages and rear triangles other than the earlier models with shock compatibility issues?

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
"I would think DW is more interested in persuing the Turner DW relationship and the Evil bike now than making parts for the Iron horse."

Understandably, but his name is synomonous with this particular model and something I think he has/had a lot of pride in. It could be so non-cost effective that it makes no sense at all..(I'm sure triangles are a stretch but the linkage kits may not be)

"Is there much call for replacement linkages and rear triangles other than the earlier models with shock compatibility issues?[/QUOTE]"

-I know people are looking for the stuff, probably more likely just the linkage/bearing replacement kits. I've heard Enduro has bearing offerings, but most don't seem so impressed with them.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Pegboy; "Is there much call for replacement linkages and rear triangles other than the earlier models with shock compatibility issues?"[/QUOTE said:
Just take a look at the Sunday thread. We are all looking for something...

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
So did you just make that up or what?
Thank you for taking time out of your day to add a dipsh!t remark. In the future I will make sure to cut to the chase and ask questions directly to you because your "pro" experience and insight has proven to be invaluable.

If others have experience that counters what I've said, I'm just looking for more info and options.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I just don't have the time to get involved. Every day is already 12 hours of completely pinned goodness. I think that help is on the way from a name that you trust though..

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Thank you for taking time out of your day to add a dipsh!t remark. In the future I will make sure to cut to the chase and ask questions directly to you because your "pro" experience and insight has proven to be invaluable.

If others have experience that counters what I've said, I'm just looking for more info and options.
You need to check your facts, or at the very least your sources:

I've heard Enduro has bearing offerings, but most don't seem so impressed with them.
Enduro makes the stock bearings designed specifically for the Sunday, and they sell the replacement bearing kits for the Sunday (as well as the rest of the IH suspension line). plain and simple.

As for people being 'unimpressed' i'd love to know the basis for that, seeing as they are high quality and readily available. http://enduroforkseals.com/id55.html . Probably just another case of "I heard such and such nonesense from so and so . . . and it must be true" :plthumbsdown:

Last edited:

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
I just don't have the time to get involved. Every day is already 12 hours of completely pinned goodness. I think that help is on the way from a name that you trust though..
From a name we trust? :D

So that dude who makes/made Lahar's in Australia is taking over:poster_oops:

:imstupid:

Edit: I live the phrase 12 hours of pinned goodness, makes me wanna ride my bike!

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
DW- thanks for the insight and I can appreciate the lack of time and where it is best spent...we'll all hope for good news.

General- You are correct in that I did not research the Enduro bearings and that it was ,more or less, hearsay which Is why I didn't state they suck and I am looking for something better. Your second response helps and carries some merrit as I know that you were involved with IH for a while and retain a relationship with ex-employees newest endeavors. That was the kind of response and info I was looking for.

I bought my first new DH bike in four years over the winter off of a friend only to find out the news a few months later. I am glad to hear that things may be getting sorted out.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
There goes the excuse to get a new frame. 2005 Sunday, Profile cranks, 37 years old - soon the kids will point at me in the lift line and say old school.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
So this question is for DW or anybody in the know of how things work. Since IH is in the crapper there is concern about warrenty and parts for existing Sunday owners. I'm assuming everybody is SOL on the warrenty side of things but, I am wondering, does DW have the rights and or ability to produce replacement parts such as linkage and bearing kits and possibly rear triangles which seem to be the most common points of wear/failure. Can e13 produce "after market" parts on a bike that DW designed? Granted he may only hold the pattent on the actual suspension design and maybe not the bike itself, but where is the line drawn? I understand that there is a lot tied up in the courts currently and I believe IH owes DW a boat load of cash but it would be an encouraging option.

It just seems like a shame that owners of such a great bike are left hanging in the breeze. May be that's the way it is..
If you want a road map to the future of support. Ask anyone that bought an I-drive (millions) before GT went belly up.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
In this forum, DW's word is pretty much the word of Rod. In Rod we trust. Well Im thinking someone is going to eventually capitalize on it and that will be a good thing. For now, we wait.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I think that help is on the way from a name that you trust though..
Any details? I think it'd be good if someone offered those upper/lower 10mm shock pins for sale individually, they are prone to wear over the years.

There are probably plenty of people with pre-07 frames chasing F7 linkage kits too.

As for people being 'unimpressed' i'd love to know the basis for that, seeing as they are high quality and readily available. http://enduroforkseals.com/id55.html . Probably just another case of "I heard such and such nonesense from so and so . . . and it must be true" :plthumbsdown:
Ah go easy, pegboy was just making an honest quote - it has been discussed here before to my knowledge.

Basically all of enduro's full complement bearings have a little recess in one side of the inner race which has a tendency to allow grease out and dirt in. Not a big deal on most suspension bearings, but any that are in areas prone to mud/water collection will have a tendency to get contaminated quite easily. I pulled my lower link rear ones out and they were both completely dry and full of fine dust (still rotating, but not cool!). On rebuilding with new ones, I popped in two suitably fitting o-rings, around the extended inner race (sealing lightly against the inside of the swingarm "seat lip" if you will). Hopefully that helps.

Apart from that though the rest of the bearings were great; enduro is good to keep offering bearings for a lot of frames out there, and have good service and quick postage in my experience.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
If you want a road map to the future of support. Ask anyone that bought an I-drive (millions) before GT went belly up.
Funny thing is I almost bought one of those back in the day and they certainly were prone to cracking (Although a lot of people loved how they rode).

moral of the story: steer clear of bikes that I am riding or considering...