Quantcast

Dyeing E13 LG1 Plus guide?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Would it be possible to dye an E13 LG1 guide that's white using the hot water and Rit Dye trick? I know it works on a lot of other plastics, but I am unsure of if it would with the E13 plastic.

Anyone tried? I am going for a bike that is "special" colored this year.

rhohman

Chimp
Feb 1, 2011
I tried it but was unsuccessful. If I remember correctly I left the plastics in the water for ~30 min but there was no change in color.

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I've dyed a lot of things using Rit dye...the trick is knowing what material you are dyeing. Reason being that you need to dye the plastic in water that is about 175-185F on the stove for 20-30 minutes. So if you are dying ABS, then you will probably have a problem at that temperature because that is when ABS starts to deform from heat. If it is PBT or Nylon then it will be fine all the way to boiling water and will generally take the dye MUCH better.

I have no idea what the LG1 is made of, but I have one that I am about to pull off my Intense, so maybe I'll give it a try with one of the smaller pieces.

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
For the people that tried this...at what temperature did you try dyeing at?

From my experience temperature is MUCH more important than time.

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
I used to dye Lacrosse heads with boiling water and RIT dye all the time. Havent tried it on my E 13 yet, but its worth a shot

A LAX head is more porse and flexible than an E13 so it might be harder.

Call E13 im sure they could point you in the right direction

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Some plastics will not take the dye, even at boiling temperatures.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'm gonna ring them in the morning. I think a smokey purple guide system on a the bright yellow Transition with all the other crack head colored parts I have going would be AMAZING.

Yup, Carson AMAZING!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Your best bet is probably a rattle can. Should look decent if you do a good prep. Might have to reapply thru the season but chainguides aren't exactly set and forget anyways. I seem to be pulling mine apart every few months just for service.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Might have to reapply thru the season but chainguides aren't exactly set and forget anyways. I seem to be pulling mine apart every few months just for service.
that's not right. what you running? my gamut runs years (literally) between services. been running it since 2006, and only had to touch it once to replace a seized pulley bearing.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I called E13 today. They said most of the plastic in it is lexan.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
You might try a plastic paint - durability is going to be a big question mark. It also won't be at all abrasion resistant. Using one of the stock colors will probably save you some headache.

wysiwyg

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Sherwood Forest, UK
I remember someone on about spraying a SRS a few yrs ago and DW popped up with 'no are you on crack' or something. He was deffo anti due to it melting or opening a time vortex or something.