Quantcast

Dying notebook...need a diagnostic.....

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
OK, I have a HP/Compaq nx7010 w/ 2 gigs of ram. It sometimes gives me the BSD. It's usually, or a larger percentage of the time, says it is a hardware issue, and whatever has been added to it, should be removed to troubleshoot the issue.

Now, for this computer to have any "new" additions to be added to it, it would have to be the ram, since I don't believe it came with 2 gigs of ram. However, the question is, is there any form or type of hardware diagnostic software that checks ram, video, etc...?

The BSD varies in message, so I can't narrow it down from it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Burn yourself a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD and run MemTest86 from it. Or any of the other diagnostic tools on there, of course, but there's a good chance it's a problem with your memory.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Now, for this computer to have any "new" additions to be added to it, it would have to be the ram, since I don't believe it came with 2 gigs of ram. However, the question is, is there any form or type of hardware diagnostic software that checks ram, video, etc...?
http://www.memtest.org/

You can download this to make a bootable floppy.

You may want to pop the case open and make sure the RAM is seated properly before you run the diagnostic.

In the Device Manager are you getting any weird driver issues that are flagged? (little yellow triangle next to to the listed device)

Edit: scooped by Captain Skindmahchik

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
well, I can't crash it now. it did reboot on me once, but it was right after I reseated the RAM chip. I rubbed the connectors with 91% Rubbing Alcohol. So far its seems to be working ok. I'm still going to go with the boot CD and run the diagnostics.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
OK, I ran the diag on the RAM and on the HD, nuthin! Absolutely no issues...I think H8R was dead on balls about re-seating the RAM.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
You may want to pop the case open and make sure the RAM is seated properly before you run the diagnostic.
Ahhh....does that address your WTF issues????? :p

Or is it a balls thing? :p

Anyway, you was right because it seems to have addressed the issue.....