Quantcast

Dynolicious Log Box: anybody try it?

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Saw this in the app store, I was thinking it would be cool to do a run with this in my pocket, and see what comes up..

Check it out:
"Turn your iPhone or iPod touch into a high tech data logging tool. Dynolicious Log Box allows you to record position (GPS and cell tower positioning) and acceleration data. BunsenTech has wrapped these capabilities in an easy-to-use package so that you can access the data whenever you may need it.

Dynolicious Log Box Capabilities
Capture accelerometer data in 3-axis (X/Y/Z)
Capture location data (device dependent)
Capture data at sample rates between 100/sec to 1/hr
Record up to 125 days worth of data
Built-in low-pass filter (reduces vibration and noise)
Auto Orientation (aligns your device with gravity)
Data export for off-line analysis
What Can You Do with DLB?
Use your iPhone to supply GPS data to be incorporated with photos (geocoding).
Ride your favorite roller-coaster with your iPhone or iPod to find out how many Gs your body experiences
Capture data from a track day or autocross run. Analyze your runs or compare against previous runs.
Put your iPhone in your car to keep tabs on your teen’s driving habits when you’re not in the car
These, of course, are just a few ideas of what you could do. Dynolicious Log Box was built as a tool for you to use whenever you might see a use for it.

Export Formats
KMZ (Compressed Google Earth)
KML (Google Earth XML)
TXT (Tab Delimited Text File)
HTML (Standard Table-based HTML Document)
GPX (GPS Exchange Format)
CSV (Comma Separated Value)
Minimum Requirements
ANY iPhone or iPod touch
iPhone for location logging
iPhone 3G for high resolution GPS signal
iPhone OS 2.2 or greater
Dynolicious Log Box is available for $2.99 (USD) through Apple’s App Store. Purchase Dynolicious Log Box for your iPhone or iPod touch"

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I have the regular dynolicious software and it works good. I'm just not sure how it would work for MTB, it is supposed to be anchored in the car so it doesn't move. you'd probably have to attach it to the bike so it doesn't bounce around in you pocket. Also the Iphone can only measure up to 2g's, I'm pretty sure some G-outs and a particular berm at my trail would exceed that.

Worth a try though

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
yeah, I was thinking attaching it to the bike might give you more accurate results. It's more of a tool to just play around with rather than using it as a training tool.. although if it appears to be good, I'm sure u could use it as a training tool..

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
The accelerometer bits wont work worth a **** unless it's held in a fixed position on a level surface. In theory with GPS logging you don't need accelerometers though, but it depends on the accuracy of the GPS signal and the polling rate. It'll be worthless IMHO.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
There is supposed to be some new d/aq software coming out from a company called Pasco that will accept inputs also. It would be fun to use some string pots to measure suspension travel and steering angle in addition to the GPS and acceleromter data. As far as the limits on the accelerometer in the phone, I'd be surprised if you topped 2 g's in a berm but I'd believe a g-out. More likely you'd saturate the sensor on a drop with a poor/flat landing. Mounting the phone on the bike gives you a measurement of what forces act on the bike but a fixed mount on the rider would be interesting too. It would be even more interesting to have one of each and compare the two, see how the rider and bike are moving in relation to each other under braking, landings, corners, etc.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I'm sure I worked out years ago that I was hitting about 3g around a berm. Certainly I could feel my legs buckling as I went around it.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
There is supposed to be some new d/aq software coming out from a company called Pasco that will accept inputs also. It would be fun to use some string pots to measure suspension travel and steering angle in addition to the GPS and acceleromter data. As far as the limits on the accelerometer in the phone, I'd be surprised if you topped 2 g's in a berm but I'd believe a g-out. More likely you'd saturate the sensor on a drop with a poor/flat landing. Mounting the phone on the bike gives you a measurement of what forces act on the bike but a fixed mount on the rider would be interesting too. It would be even more interesting to have one of each and compare the two, see how the rider and bike are moving in relation to each other under braking, landings, corners, etc.
Oh, I'm fairly certain I can pull 2+g's in this berm. It's hard to stay standing in it.

double berm with slo-mo on Vimeo