Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Removal of ETA

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
any good ideas with what i can do for my fork now?

I have been thinking that since the eta on my 03 marzocchi fork wore out so fast that I need to consider getting rid of it.

Any suggestions?

I wouldn't mind just removing it and leaving in the coil if I can. I am not sure if I have to leave it in.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
No the waranty would not cover this. It wore out from use.

When ETA wears out it needs to be replaced for like $60 canadian and it is supposed to be easy to replace.

Well my ETA twists and keeps twisting now. It no longer locks out the fork in the right position. Normally you would think that the topscrew is lose. This is not the case.

Two different problems have been occuring basically. When locking it out the fork lowers would shift a little to the side and continually apply the front brake until the ETA was released.

Changing the oil in the left fork leg caused it to work again. Only differently this time. The brake isn't applying when ETA is activated. (right now when I use it, well not as bad as before)With all of the twisting you cannot tell when the fork is going to lock out or not.

In the middle of my rides it sometimes activates for no apparent reason. Reducing travel to 30mm at any random time if I attempt to activate ETA during a ride at some point.

I am constantly looking to see if it is locked out or just doing something weird. The fork is still feeling a little bit internally weird. I am getting a weird Plopping noise off of a 2' drop to flat concrete that should feel plush. I got a knocking noise and I am thinking that I need to adjust my damping to fix that. (that is in the manual)

Anyway the lockout position is now random after one and a half twists it sort of activates. At any location in a circle. There is no way of telling for sure that you reached the actual lockout position.

Turning it off means twisting it to the left until it kind of feels like it stops.

The plastic handle could just be worn out but it seems ok. Maby that I will replace with the rest of it if I bother.

I don't know. I just stopped using the ETA and I fricken pedal all of the hills with this 105 mm fork or push the damn bike. It seems to operate like a normal fork right now. Its been like this for a month I guess.

I am not sure how difficult it is to remove the eta completely which is probably safest since I can't replace it.

(no funds whatsoever for probably the rest of the season mostly except maby this fall)

Ventanarama

Chimp
Aug 2, 2002
Fort Collins, CO
Couple of things here.....1) If the ETA is not working, it should be covered under warranty, period! It typically doesn't just wear out from use in that amount of time, even if you're riding it a lot.

2) It really sounds like you could just have a problem with the lever itself. Have you tried tightening down the screw? If it's a little loose then sometimes it will engage when you don't want it to, or won't disengage. Marzocchi has some metal ETA levers available that are much better, they really should be putting those on stock as the plastic ones are complete crap. It sounds like your lever is just spinning, meaning that it's loose, rounded out where it sits onto the cartridge, or the pin in the cartridge that should give it a definite stop after 1/4 turn or so is broken/worn.

3) The problem with brake rub is common with ETA/ECC, and can be aggravated if you don't have a stiff front wheel. Typically you can play with the brake adjustment (offset it to one side slightly) and/or cable length to eliminate or at least minimize the problem.

Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
I think its just fine. Maby a little worn.

The suggestion about the kotter pin might be the ticket there. I really don't care about that.

The fact that it is braking whenever I activate it is the problem. It just negates any advantage that the eta might have given me.

I just don't use it. Sure would be happy to use it again if i had a new replacement. When I bought it they warned me that it would wear out every couple of months with use.

expensive fork I got. I like it and all of that. I am just thinking that I could make it lighter. The problem with ETA is that it is attached to the top valve cover. I mean I could switch the top caps with my other Marz air fork. Plus then I could add some air pressure in the left.

The problem then would be hack sawing off the ETA part. That is permanent like an I haven't figured out if the replacement comes with a topcap.

Part of me is thinking that I could use a stiffer coil also. I have been buzzing about what I should do for some time now. Of course if I screw it up now it will never take a replacement. Jury rigging it could work.

I am feeling open to suggestions about eta removal still.

Rustmouse

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
Olympia, WA
I'd go to marzocchi on this.... there's no reason for the problem you're having, and Marzocchi is proud of the fact that they make everything bulletproof (or in my case "bullit-proof")

There just isn't that much to go wrong on those things... it sounds like you've got a piece missing or broken internally....

(I've never heard of a "wear-out" problem, either... sounds like someone is trying to feed you a load of crap)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by Ventanarama
Who's the moron who told you that? That's complete B.S., there's no reason at all that it shouldn't work perfectly on a long-term basis. I sell a lot of Marzocchi forks and very rarely see any ECC/ETA problems.
Larry Mettler
Hmm, both the ECC forks I've had have stopped working within a month of getting them...and the warranty ECC carts quit just as quickly. I've just given up on them; not much use to me anyhow.

MD

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by Ventanarama
Who's the moron who told you that? That's complete B.S., there's no reason at all that it shouldn't work perfectly on a long-term basis. I sell a lot of Marzocchi forks and very rarely see any ECC/ETA problems.
Larry Mettler
Exactly. Noticed my gf's Marathon was leaking air from the positive chamber to the negative. Called Marzocchi. They said they would issue RA# and fix it free. I asked if they could just send the part, and they said only if shipped to a shop. So I called my LBS, told them waht was up, and Marzocchi sent out a new one. All Marzocchi wanted was the serial number.
I really don't get why people don't just call manufacturers.Most are very cool to deal with. Is it some fear of human interaction? Being able to "hide" behind a screan name is cool and all, but c'mon!

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Well. I listened to what all of you had to say and i decided to send it back to the waranty department at marzocchi.

The fork had other problems as well because of the lowers shiftering and the damping adjust there were stuttering problems when cornering and riding down hills while cornering.

I had been pitched off of the bike at least 3 times and I concluded that the fork did not seem bedded in right either.

The last time i tipped the fork there was a lot of silver and black sludge in the left side so i asked about that too. They stated at the shop that forks do get really dirty easily so not to worry about it.

It will take four to six weeks to get it back. No idea if it will cost anything.

I did ask them not to fill it with oil because i do use my own perfomance racing oil.

I still have one bike left.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by Drunken_Ninja
Well. I listened to what all of you had to say and i decided to send it back to the waranty department at marzocchi.

The fork had other problems as well because of the lowers shiftering and the damping adjust there were stuttering problems when cornering and riding down hills while cornering.

I had been pitched off of the bike at least 3 times and I concluded that the fork did not seem bedded in right either.

The last time i tipped the fork there was a lot of silver and black sludge in the left side so i asked about that too. They stated at the shop that forks do get really dirty easily so not to worry about it.

It will take four to six weeks to get it back. No idea if it will cost anything.

I did ask them not to fill it with oil because i do use my own perfomance racing oil.

I still have one bike left.
Did you get the fork from a shop? If you did, you could have brough it to the LBS, they could have taken it apart, called Marzocchi, and Marz would likely have sent the parts right out. While working at a shop, I did this numerous times. All they ever asked for was the serial number. When by gf's Marathon started leaking air from the pos chamber into the neg, I had my former boss give Marz a ring and guess what? They sent a new cartridge right out. This all happened Thursday, and the cart will be in tomorrow.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Originally posted by Repack
Did you get the fork from a shop? If you did, you could have brough it to the LBS, they could have taken it apart, called Marzocchi, and Marz would likely have sent the parts right out. While working at a shop, I did this numerous times. All they ever asked for was the serial number. When by gf's Marathon started leaking air from the pos chamber into the neg, I had my former boss give Marz a ring and guess what? They sent a new cartridge right out. This all happened Thursday, and the cart will be in tomorrow.
no they wanted to send it off. I told them that if they ordered the part i would rebuild it myself.

I said the same thing but they traditionally send it to NORCO who employs a fellow to rebuild every fork that has a problem. I learned from him how to service the fork originally. He sees stuff that I woudn't.

The cartridge could be replaced but if they missed an internal part when they built it there could be internal damage that i wouldn't recognize, meaning they will replace in full.

Like determining the weird side to side wobble in the fork. (not wheel flex)

Basically since it didn't really start causing huge problems until the trails went to hardpack, I determined that the problem was probably there from the start.

It could come in as soon as two weeks. They will get it by Saturday since the shop is dropping of a couple at once.

I have the tools to do the work but the bedding issue always causes them to recall it before wasting another cartridge. Internals inspection is the reason why.

I still don't think that they will change the sliders even if they had deteriorated into pieces by now...

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Originally posted by golgiaparatus
Call Marzocchi.

Methinks you will get a free fix.
at this point? no, i would not want to be that fool that called marzocchi on norco for taking too long. i did send an email to their customer service regarding the issue annoying the crap out of me for the whole summer

but i included in it, my new idea for internals with a 2005 fork. they never replied but i defintitly knew not to piss and moan because if norco gets PoD they will leave it until october.

In this case it is important NOT to call.

i drew some top secret pictures and i am never going to tell.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Norco :think: Ok then that makes perfect sense :rolleyes:

at this point? no, i would not want to be that fool that called marzocchi on norco for taking too long. i did send an email to their customer service regarding the issue annoying the crap out of me for the whole summer

but i included in it, my new idea for internals with a 2005 fork. they never replied but i defintitly knew not to piss and moan because if norco gets PoD they will leave it until october.

In this case it is important NOT to call.

i drew some top secret pictures and i am never going to tell.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Norco :think: Ok then that makes perfect sense :rolleyes:
It does. Norco is the largest distributer of bicycle parts in canada at this time. They also distribute marzocchi here. The hub for them is just located north of Toronto.

Basically there are about 6-7 marzocchi technicians that work there and just service forks all summer long. You take a number then you wait. When it comes back to the bike shop they call you.

If you call the bike shop and pester them in regards to you fork they hate you and may chose to chop off your head.

If you bother marzocchi they hear about it at norco then they remember that marzocchi is one of their favorite customers. All the Marz rep can say is we really like this guy can you do them a favor? then the norco employee says, well we will and we always never let you down but there are still some others ahead of that guy. You know we don't screw with the perfect system you sent us for fixing forks.

then marz says, yeah you guys are the greatest and you do great business for us. thanks fellas.

then the norco guys go back to their work...but you sent the heat onto them so they may have pulled the fork already just to look at it. Maby they don't like the original number in cue that they gave you in the first place at this point because you just weren't happy enough with it.

So then they have to issue a new number or put it some place where they will forget about it for awhile. so...the moral of the story, if they still have your fork at this point...the new numbers that they would have to give you at this point would come after all of the other people, whose forks arrived since yours got there putting you back to the end of the line.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I know its a little late, but you probobly could have sent it direct to Marz in Cali. I'm not sure how it works sending stuff from Canada to the US, but when I have sent stuff to Race Face from the US, all I had to do was go to the PO and fill out a customs form. RF would always say to mark the box and customs paper w/ "Product made in Canada. Return for waranty repair." This would make sure it didn't get hung up in regards to duties/taxes.

Edit: Darn, Just as I hit "Post" I realized that Marz are made in Italy. Don't know how that effects things.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Originally posted by Repack
I know its a little late, but you probobly could have sent it direct to Marz in Cali. I'm not sure how it works sending stuff from Canada to the US, but when I have sent stuff to Race Face from the US, all I had to do was go to the PO and fill out a customs form. RF would always say to mark the box and customs paper w/ "Product made in Canada. Return for waranty repair." This would make sure it didn't get hung up in regards to duties/taxes.

Edit: Darn, Just as I hit "Post" I realized that Marz are made in Italy. Don't know how that effects things.
ok you make some good points here.

marz are manufactured in italy but i heard that they are assembled in the USA also.

The problem with sending a marz back is that once they open it up they have a look at the internals. If it is misuse they charge you money for it. If they decide that your waranty just does not cover the damage then they have to pay to send it back to you. If you need to buy like a $10 part then they have to be able to collect money from you in order to put that part in place.

So, in canada they want it all to go to the one place. It is cheaper for them and a more reliable service for you in the end for Norco to take it. You do not have to fill out the waranty card if your fork is from Canada. You don't get a store-stamped number for your card when the fork is purchased either.

You get a receipt and that is all you need.

it is a different system here. Norco is reliable. if it had to go through california, chances are it would still get serviced faster here just north of toronto. Most shops pick up orders themselves and delivering forks just justifies the gas money to pick it all up on the weekends at the Norco factory.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Ack! What a hassle. Just ride without a fork... Uni-style :p

It does. Norco is the largest distributer of bicycle parts in canada at this time. They also distribute marzocchi here. The hub for them is just located north of Toronto.

Basically there are about 6-7 marzocchi technicians that work there and just service forks all summer long. You take a number then you wait. When it comes back to the bike shop they call you.

If you call the bike shop and pester them in regards to you fork they hate you and may chose to chop off your head.

If you bother marzocchi they hear about it at norco then they remember that marzocchi is one of their favorite customers. All the Marz rep can say is we really like this guy can you do them a favor? then the norco employee says, well we will and we always never let you down but there are still some others ahead of that guy. You know we don't screw with the perfect system you sent us for fixing forks.

then marz says, yeah you guys are the greatest and you do great business for us. thanks fellas.

then the norco guys go back to their work...but you sent the heat onto them so they may have pulled the fork already just to look at it. Maby they don't like the original number in cue that they gave you in the first place at this point because you just weren't happy enough with it.

So then they have to issue a new number or put it some place where they will forget about it for awhile. so...the moral of the story, if they still have your fork at this point...the new numbers that they would have to give you at this point would come after all of the other people, whose forks arrived since yours got there putting you back to the end of the line.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Ack! What a hassle. Just ride without a fork... Uni-style :p
FVCK THAT!!!

MY FORK JUST CAME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

They fixed it up, replaced the oil and made a new aluminum lever for my ETA. Marzocchi STANDS BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT!

I just got back from the bike shop. They called me 40 minutes ago when it came in.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
okie i posted this in another thread but it was a part of the service i got so i should mention it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
those guys at marzocchi are something else. They told me that they replaced the oil when they rebuilt it.

I don't like the golden spectro because it breaks down to fast and it doesn't have the high resolution anti-stiction and resistance to thermal breakdown that BARDAHL has.

So I pulled apart my fork today just to make sure things look right. They did replace the entire eta cartride and poured Golden Spectro in the left and the Bardahl in the right side remained.

Sure I tipped it and removed the spectro. I changed the right side too just because you never know what kind of containers they may have used when they rebuilt the fork.

The only weird thing that i noticed is that there are little lumps in each stanchion as if they reassembled the crown and the pressure used on the stanchion tubes caused this.

It looks weird. If I break a stanchion tube after this I am going to really be angry.

great service...but squonky as heck when it happens to me...