Quantcast

e-13 Bash

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
I have an e-13 bash guard, without a chain guide on an old bike of mine and my friend wants to buy it..though i don't know how to take the damn thing off! it has an allen key on one side, and some weird design on the inner side..

how do i take it off?

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Take the cranks off first. One of the screw heads is kept in place with a screwdriver, and use an allen on the other side.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
Monkeybidnezz said:
Take the cranks off first. One of the screw heads is kept in place with a screwdriver, and use an allen on the other side.
well i attempted to take the cranks off, but from only using a euro bb for a while i forgot!..i tried using a screw driver on the other side but she just didn't want to loosen..any ideas?

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
habitatxskate said:
I have an e-13 bash guard, without a chain guide on an old bike of mine and my friend wants to buy it..though i don't know how to take the damn thing off! it has an allen key on one side, and some weird design on the inner side..

how do i take it off?
I haven't checked them out, but there is a good chance that those are TORX bolts.

Go get a torx wrench that'll fit 'em. That, or get someone who has one to work on it. I know it sounds lame, but if you can keep those bolts and screws for backup incase anything happens in the future, you might be happy that you had them.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn

If you don't know, take it to a shop. Much better than butchering it.

*I forgot to add this. A decent shop might show you so you can do it next time, as apposed to just dropping off the bike and comming back and the bash guard is off. It just depends on your relationship and how busy they are. Everyone has to learn, but learning w/ a screw driver and a hacksaw is not the right way.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
d.e.f. said:

If you don't know, take it to a shop. Much better than butchering it.
Yup, if you've not got the right tools (see above) take it to a shop. Else you'll be sorry.

Alternatively use an angle grinder and post pics when you're done. Could be amusing.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
How about the gunpowder from any fireworks left over from the 4th July celebrations? Just blow it apart, none of that nancy spanner-work.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Do you know how to take chainring bolt off? If you can't do crank stuff, remove the bolts on the bashguard only and slide it down the crank. If the pedal is in the way, take it off.

1. Just drill some holes in it.
2. Put c4 or something similar in the holes.
3. Blow it up.

Those things are pretty strong, so if this fails, try mmikes method.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
MMike said:
step 1. chain bike securely to something heavy
step 2. secure bashguard to bumper of dad's car
step 3. have a licensed motor vehicle operator drive dad's car away from bicycle

post pics

1. i'll use my tow chain
2. i'll use my truck
3. i'll do it

and i will post pictures of my outcome, and yes it will keep you amused, i'll do it now..wish me luck

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
kk,. well i took the hacksaw out, got annoyed by the buzzing of the abttery charger charging my truck's battery..i gave up.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
habitatxskate said:
kk,. well i took the hacksaw out, got annoyed by the buzzing of the abttery charger charging my truck's battery..i gave up.
There's nothing quite like dedication, commitment and persistence.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
e-13 Bash 07-05-2006 04:50 AM YOU ARE FRIGGIN DUMB

thanks so much for the feedback!!!!!!

anyways, i'll try later.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
fluff said:
How about the gunpowder from any fireworks left over from the 4th July celebrations? Just blow it apart, none of that nancy spanner-work.
thanks just laughed out loud at work, im busted.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
gnurider1080 said:
put down the tools, and step away from the bike.
LOL! Seriously.

I have the tool you need. Ordered it from Shimano. Little L shaped tool to hold the backside of the crankbolts in place... a good solid butter knife will work in a pickle... better than a hacksaw, thats for sure.

d.e.f. said:

Yeah that's the little guy right there.

EDIT: I love this thread :) Great ideas all!

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Better yet:

1) Install clipless pedals. (take it to a shop if you can't figure it out)
2) Remove wheels from bike. (see above)
3) Begin riding bike.

The problem will fix itself.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Whoa. There are riders who can't take off cranks?

Here's what you do.

-Remove 8 or 10mm allen bolt from each crank arm
-If it's a self-extracting bolt, the crank will come off
-Most likely, you will have to use a crank puller, in which case you tighten in the outer threaded part into the crank arm, then tighten the handle. The crank will come off
-Loosen allen bolts on chainring while holding the backside with the Shimano chainring tool

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
So diid you really try a propane torch on this??? and did you really try a Hacksaw???? cause if so youe E13 bashguard is now trash, The
e-13 bolts take a 5 mil wrench. Seldom do i Ever have to use the chainring tool on the other side. seriously, if you took a hacksaw or a torch to it, just go pay the 12 buck at your LBS and have them take it off, ill put five that says they take less then ten to remove it and will most likely do a quickly like that while you wait. i know i would anyways

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
i tried to cut the crank arM! and the p[ropane tourch was out of stupidity, though got my truck running again, so maybe i'll run it over.