Quantcast

e 13 zero stack 1.5 reducing cups

siege

Monkey
Sep 30, 2006
kapolei, Hi
I am bummed. I just got my new 888wc and the reducers and king headset don't fit the stack of the fork for my intense uzzi vpx. I am assuming the only real option now is e13 zero stack reducers, but what headset to put in them? Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Attachments

tomyboy

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Irvine
I am bummed. I just got my new 888wc and the reducers and king headset don't fit the stack of the fork for my intense uzzi vpx. I am assuming the only real option now is e13 zero stack reducers, but what headset to put in them? Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.
Cane Creek makes the Double Xc Flush headset. This is a 1.5 to 1 1/8 zero stack headset.

siege

Monkey
Sep 30, 2006
kapolei, Hi
yeah my buddy has one in his yakuzima (spelling). I am really curious what the best headset would be for DH that is IS

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
they fit any frames with a 1.5 head tube. there is a bunch of threads about this in here, do a quick search and you should find everything you need. There are only 2 or so headset cupsets that fit it but they are good quality...

mine works great on the bottlerocket.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
king is over rated for a true dh bike imo. because when you are serious about dh you rip appart your bike once a month and cean everything, when i do that i am also relubing my headset and it feels like new. CK = over rated imo.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Don't think a integrated stem/crown will solve his problem. Maybe drop crowns?
Popping some zero stacks in there would totally let him run his current crown. It would free up so much space, the current stack height on there is just funky looking. It will steeping the head angle, but that can be compensated for by adjusting the fork legs which he would then have plenty of room to work with!

hucked2bend

Monkey
May 24, 2005
Bend, Oregon
As already mentioned, a Cane Creek Double XC Flush will fix your issue. Plus it will lower your front end nicely.
I have an extra, never used, in the box. PM me if you need one, I'll save you a few bucks off retail ; )

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Popping some zero stacks in there would totally let him run his current crown. It would free up so much space, the current stack height on there is just funky looking. It will steeping the head angle, but that can be compensated for by adjusting the fork legs which he would then have plenty of room to work with!

Yeah, I was just throwing out alternatives. I'm the friend with the Kumicho and really like the e.thirteen cups. Just out of curiosity, what headset is it that comes on the IH?

hucked2bend

Monkey
May 24, 2005
Bend, Oregon
although it is low, the Cane creek is more than twice the stack height of the e13 at 14.7mm versus 6mm

That's without the additional headset though, correct? (e-13 is just a reducer, still needs a headset) I have the e-13 reducers with an FSA headset on my Sunday WC (stock set-up), but comparing (visually) the Cane Creek next to the e-13 set up, the stack height appears much less, unless I am missing something??

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
That's without the additional headset though, correct? (e-13 is just a reducer, still needs a headset) I have the e-13 reducers with an FSA headset on my Sunday WC (stock set-up), but comparing (visually) the Cane Creek next to the e-13 set up, the stack height appears much less, unless I am missing something??
The E-13 requires the addition of two 36* ACB bearings (standard for any IS internal headset, can be had from Cane creek of FSA (who makes the bearings for Cane creek)), a crown race, and a compression ring. If you buy (or 'get') a complete IS headset, it will also have some type of top dust cap...this is not needed if you want to keep the bars low.

I think that the difference in numbers comes from the fact that the e13 cups themselves have a 3mm lip top and botom and this is what E-13 lists. Whereas, CC lists the measurement from the bottom of the crown race to the top of the dust cover..a true stack height IMO.
When an E-13 set-up is measured in the same way (including crown race and compression ring) the stack height becomes 11.2mm. Keep in mind, that this is without a dust cap...with it the stack height of a E-13 set up would be atleast 14mm.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
Or just run an FSA Orbit Z 1.5R headset. Same idea as the E13 cups but you only have to buy the one thing.

Orbit Z1.5R

$69.99 MSRP so it will save you money over the e13 cups and a seperate HS.

hucked2bend

Monkey
May 24, 2005
Bend, Oregon
The E-13 requires the addition of two 36* ACB bearings (standard for any IS internal headset, can be had from Cane creek of FSA (who makes the bearings for Cane creek)), a crown race, and a compression ring. If you buy (or 'get') a complete IS headset, it will also have some type of top dust cap...this is not needed if you want to keep the bars low.

I think that the difference in numbers comes from the fact that the e13 cups themselves have a 3mm lip top and botom and this is what E-13 lists. Whereas, CC lists the measurement from the bottom of the crown race to the top of the dust cover..a true stack height IMO.
When an E-13 set-up is measured in the same way (including crown race and compression ring) the stack height becomes 11.2mm. Keep in mind, that this is without a dust cap...with it the stack height of a E-13 set up would be atleast 14mm.
Ahh, now I see. Thanks:huh:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
help a guy out here. i am running an fsa orbit xtreme 1.5 reducer right now. the front end does feel a bit high with a 36 VAN and i liked the way my bottlerocket felt when i tried it with my Pike. i have already gone to lower rise bars and i like they way they feel. if i wanted to go the extra mile (or extra few mm) what type of height difference are we talking about here?

i just did a quick measurement, and it looks like the stack height on the bottom portion of the headset from the crown race to the frame is about 1/2 an inch and the top portion seems to be closer to 3/4 of an inch. i am assuming the total "stack height" includes the exposure from the top and bottom of the headtube. that would be 1.25" or about 32mm. so a cane creek would take me down to 14.7mm for a savings of about 15mm. of that a portion would be between the HT and the fork, making for a steeper head angle and a portion would be above the HT making for a lower bar height. did i do that right? forgive me, this is a new topic of interest in my world.

huck2bend, hit me with a pm about that headset and what you would take for it.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Most of these headsets can be run without the top dust cap if you want to go to the absolute lowest. My E-13 is exactly 6.1mm on the bottom and 5.1mm on the top. These are from frame surface to crowns (on a double crown fork) so true stack height.

FSA lists your lower stack as 13.4mm and the upper as 16.4 mm. The upper includes the dust cap, but it does not lok from the drawing as the lower measurement includes the crown race...hard to tell for sure.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
Would it be as strong and reliable for DH application?
Plenty strong - no question.

The bearings that come with the HS are the same ones you would use if you bought the E13 cups. The crown race is cheaper and steel, but you can replace it later with an alloy one. Mostly you save $$ over e13 and get the same bearings anyway.

All the FSA stack heights include the crown race. Full dimmensions of all headsets located here: FSA_Headsetbook.pdf

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Booo! Non-standard! boo!

....right? Or could I slap a 1.5 reducer in a cannondale and run a 1.125 steerer
The cannondale stuff is true 1.5 now.

I consider my intense 6.6 an xc bike (27lbs) and it's got a 1.5.

I've got the fsa orbit and e-13 setups on my bikes. Both work fine. The orbit headset is easier just because it's only one thing to buy.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
There are a couple of pretty huge differences beteween the FSA Orbit-Z 1.5R and the e.thirteen reducers.

1) The e.thirteen reducers have an insertion depth of 19.5 mm, wheras the Orbit-Z 1.5R has an insertion depth of 8.7mm

2) The e.thirteen is built from 7075T6, wheras the FSA is built from less expensive and structurally softer 6061 T6. The 7075T6 is nearly 2X stronger than the 6061.

3) The e.thirteen reducer supports the bearings radially, wheras the FSA reducer supports the bearing like a standard zerostack on an angle. The radial support reduces the possiblity of ovalization.

I think that the FSA is a quality product, but I do not think that it is structually equivalent to the e.thirteen.

Thats all.

Dave

chober

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Pasadena, CA
I just put the new Syncros FBI headset on my tranny BR and its got a decently low stackheight. Almost 1" lower than FSA reducers and king headset I was running before

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
chober, where did you get the synrocs one from? i was looking for one of those. did you order it through H&S?

btw - the seat tube is clean as a whistle now. thanks!

chober

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Pasadena, CA
Syncros FBI

Designed to reduce a onepointfive™ headtube’s inner diameter so that you can run your 1 1/8” fork. The FBI headset dramatically lowers the stack height on triple clamp fork equipped bikes to a scant 4.5mm

chober

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Pasadena, CA
My seattube aint clean. I got a burr deep down now thats killing the front of my seattube. I ordered the headset, but the damn thing is not cheap. Cost more than my king. I'll take a picture of it later when I get to the shop and I'll post it

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
The cannondale stuff is true 1.5 now.

I consider my intense 6.6 an xc bike (27lbs) and it's got a 1.5.

I've got the fsa orbit and e-13 setups on my bikes. Both work fine. The orbit headset is easier just because it's only one thing to buy.

Damnit woo, you just had to go and pee right on my parade didn't you.

Why doesn't e-13 add something with bearings to theirs I wonder?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I have run both FSA and the E.13 reducers on my Imperial. IMO, FSA is total crap, I will never ever use there products again. I have stripped 3 different FSA parts because of the soft aluminum they use. Their customer service is the only thing that is worse. They dont even make their own parts, they are made by 8 year old Taiwanese boys and FSA just puts their names on them.

Most everyone has one or two shops or companies they feel strongly against and FSA is mine.