Quantcast

E-gad! $390k only gets you 756 sq_ft in Boston

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Ridemonkey said:
Certainly not the most expensive market in the US either.

No doubt... but what the hell is the attraction with Boston, Mass??? There is no tropical beach, the winters suck ass, and it is too close to NYC.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
No doubt... but what the hell is the attraction with Boston, Mass??? There is no tropical beach, the winters suck ass, and it is too close to NYC.
I've heard it is the #1 city for professionals to get rich in. Make your scratch there, retire early and move to any place you want.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
Get rich doing what?
Stuff.

I have no idea how the US economy keeps going with dwindling manufacturing. Seems like we just keep passing the same money around to each other with the Government and Chinese taking huge cuts eat time around.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Westy said:
Stuff.

I have no idea how the US economy keeps going with dwindling manufacturing. Seems like we just keep passing the same money around to each other with the Government and Chinese taking huge cuts eat time around.
Most folks around here who are professionals work for companies for good money but the non-degreed bubba contractors who own electrical/paving/construction/plumbing companies are the ones who are banking some serious cash.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Brian HCM#1 said:
We're still looking for a house, it's getting so F'n crazy now.

Here's one we looked at a few weeks ago.

$1M+ for a 28 year old run of the mill tract house?

You gotta get out of that place man!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There are certain areas with housing trends that are unsustainable. Housing markets like that will eventually collapse.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
You could do a 5000 sq ft all brick home on 2.5acres in a gated community with and this is the kicker 12 miles of trails. We poach it now as the community has only gotten a few houses done. They are pretty nice trails. But it won't be long before it will be all for the owners only.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Westy said:
There are certain areas with housing trends that are unsustainable. Housing markets like that will eventually collapse.
Expect to see that happen in the DC area in the next 3 to 5 years. The BRAC has a ton of Govt and contractor jobs leaving northern Virginia.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the location of that condo sucks too (mass ave?). we lived off columbus (holyoke st) and had a parking space w/ our ~700 sq ft 1 BR place. i'm sure that's well over $500 per sq ft now. last i saw it sold in '03 i think for $420K or so.

too bad we couldn't hang on to it, but we needed the $$$ to fund our downpayment for our current 'burb location.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Brian HCM#1 said:
Very true, but not here. It may dip a little for a few years but that will be it.
if i were you, i'd DEFINTELY wait a year or two for the bubble to pop. because it's got to. salaries are far being outstripped by housing prices, in terms of yearly increases, and have done so for a long time. a correction is overdue.

just my 2 pennies.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
BikeGeek said:
Expect to see that happen in the DC area in the next 3 to 5 years. The BRAC has a ton of Govt and contractor jobs leaving northern Virginia.
I am hoping that will happen soon. I have seen nothing but suburban sprawl type growth here in Charlottesville for the last 5 years but with no addition of companies that provide good jobs. Mainly DC commuters looking for cheaper housing without the backwoods Va feel.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
narlus said:
if i were you, i'd DEFINTELY wait a year or two for the bubble to pop. because it's got to. salaries are far being outstripped by housing prices, in terms of yearly increases, and have done so for a long time. a correction is overdue.

just my 2 pennies.

Unsustainable housing prices will drop, housing appraisals will drop along with it. Schools will lose money from property taxes. Wealthy folks will move out seeking schools with better API's driving prices higher elsewhere. Housing prices drop further.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
when i graduated college in 2000, the average price for a decent 2-3br house around here was around $250k. I figured Id be able to save a bit and get into a house in about 5 year (2000+5 = this year) Now, average prices around this area for a "house" (not dump, decent yard, garage, etc) is upwards of $350k and most condos are $280+ with ~$300 asso fee.

thats a 40% housing rate increase vs maybe a 30% salary increase over the same time for my wife and I

everyone is always saying "wait, the market will even out" but it never happens
people are still buying houses, prices still go up

here is a house that didnt seem too bad via a craigslist post

http://boston.craigslist.org/rfs/73468258.html

we drove by it and it is awful.
abuts RT1, and another main road. the front yard is a guard rail, and the roof is concave

:nuts:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Westy said:
I am hoping that will happen soon. I have seen nothing but suburban sprawl type growth here in Charlottesville for the last 5 years but with no addition of companies that provide good jobs. Mainly DC commuters looking for cheaper housing without the backwoods Va feel.
I can't believe anyone would want to commute from that far. What is that, a 3 hour drive? I know people do it though. There's a guy I work with that commutes 2 hours each way and works 10-12 hour days, then wonders why his family is falling apart. But he's got that nice house in rural VA to brag to all his golf-buddies about, I guess that's something. :rolleyes:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
My show home is 1780 heated, 3/2, two car garage, granite, 10'+ ceilings, maple floors and cabints, home theater etc... listed at $185k.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
BikeGeek said:
I can't believe anyone would want to commute from that far. What is that, a 3 hour drive? I know people do it though. There's a guy I work with that commutes 2 hours each way and works 10-12 hour days, then wonders why his family is falling apart. But he's got that nice house in rural VA to brag to all his golf-buddies about, I guess that's something. :rolleyes:
There are a lot of tele-comuter types here. Work from home most of the time and commute into the office only a few days a week. I've tried to convince my boss to let me do that, but since I live only a few miles from work I have gotten no where with it.

5 years a go a 20 year old house on a tiny lot in town went for $200K. I couldn't afford it and moved a whopping 10 miles north into Greene County. My mortgage including taxes and insurance is less than a 1bdrm apartment would cost me in town.

That $200K house in town now goes for 4-6.

splat

Nam I am
N8 said:

we have beaches down on the cape , we have skiiing up In NH/VT , and we have Kick ass Trails all around !!

and what does your location got going for it ? besides cheap swamp land