Quantcast

E-ntense

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Sheep, definitely sheep related.
actually Deer.
Deer are shy and like to graze in steep shaded woodland and tend to take the same path creating great (often challenging) singletrack
Sheep tend to stick to the mellower open ground stood around in groups where the tastier grass is and avoid steep woodland with a bedrock/loam surface.

But I get that you meant my backwards nation likes to fuck animals.

I think I now see the true reason these anti off road cycling action groups have formed. :brows:

Last edited:

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
So the problem with the bike industry is capitalism?

I'm fine with capitalism. I am protesting making up "the next big thing" just because you can't sell your crappy old thing.

this isn't about ebikes. They have their place(s). It's about how it's being shoved down the industry's throat. Or the industry is shoving it down the public's throat. Either way, a lot of shoving down throats. and I have a gag reflex.

The amount of hype and promotion given e-bikes is way out of proportion. If the "industry" put that money toward real bike promotion, we'd be better off.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
actually Deer.
Deer are shy and like to graze in steep shaded woodland and tend to take the same path creating great (often challenging) singletrack
Sheep tend to stick to the mellower open ground stood around in groups where the tastier grass is and avoid steep woodland with a bedrock/loam surface.

But I get that you meant my backwards nation likes to fuck animals.

I think I now see the true reason these anti off road cycling action groups have formed.
Don't be ridiculous, no one considers Scotland a nation.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Don't flatter yourself... for that to happen we'd need two things to happen

You to have better baiting skills
and
Me to give a fuck
I think JK misheard you and has been working on his 'bating skills instead.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm still just trying to figure out what the point is of giving you the sensation of pedaling. I mean who cares. If you're going to carry extra weight just ride one of these with footpegs. They look way more fun. Cheaper too.

https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-mx-electric/

I just don't know why people need to think they're pedaling.
When I demoed an e-mtb this past Friday I rode 95% of the time in a mode that added ~50% to my applied torque. I worked for the miles:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I worked for the miles:
uh huh

You 'worked' for half of them :rofl:
That's exactly the necessary illusion I'm talking about. I don't give a shit whether anyone 'works' for a climb. Some folks need to tell themselves they did for some reason. Who cares. Bike riding is for fun. You're not a better or worse person because you 'worked' for anything. You are a worse person however for deliberately buying a handicapped descender ;)

And I know that thing sucks downhill. I've got a friend who builds trails with every single second of his free time and he got levo thing two years ago. I get wanting to get out to a trail you're working on quickly.....that's utility. But god damn is he slower going downhill. No question.

FWIW I can pin my heartrate for an hour on a ktm 350, but that doesn't mean I'm the one powering it uphill.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I've got a friend who builds trails with every single second of his free time and he got levo thing two years ago. I get wanting to get out to a trail you're working on quickly.....that's utility. But god damn is he slower going downhill. No question.
Did your friend keep the stupid plus/fat tyres on his?
A while back I swung a leg over a few levo/kenevos in a shop and put my name down for a demo day (to try both) but when it came time to demo them I cancelled knowing fine those tyres alone would put me off owning one.
I ended up ordering mine blind. (well... based on geometry and suspension) and once I switched to my tyre choice haven't regretted a thing. Kinda enjoying the shit you talk about them having never ridden mine on the trails I do and basing it on something completely different TBH.

I think the biggest appeal of the Spesh ones is actually the aesthetics. (not having that battery bulge). They certainly aren't the best geometry or best VFM out there.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
When I demoed an e-mtb this past Friday I rode 95% of the time in a mode that added ~50% to my applied torque. I worked for the miles:
Dude. The HR data you've shared doesn't mean a whole lot to anyone except you. More worryingly those calorie numbers seem like total nonsense.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Dude. The HR data you've shared doesn't mean a whole lot to anyone except you. More worryingly those calorie numbers seem like total nonsense.
True. Context: on regular mtb rides I’ll average about 145 bpm. The second ride was a bit of a shuttle, thus the ascent vs descent and lower average. Overall point was that I worked about as hard as usual, just covered more distance in that time. Higher quality per minute in the saddle.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
True. Context: on regular mtb rides I’ll average about 145 bpm. The second ride was a bit of a shuttle, thus the ascent vs descent and lower average. Overall point was that I worked about as hard as usual, just covered more distance in that time. Higher quality per minute in the saddle.
Yeah man. Climbing is shit! with an Emtb you get to choose exactly how much effort you put in and to some extent how quickly the whole shitty ordeal is over You don't need to justify it to me with numbers.

Emtb calorie data is Lizardy AF

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Australia is just as f*cked as the US when it comes to trail access, so I get the hate for the extra headaches e-bikes add. We've had one trail manager already shut up to all bikes now as a result of e-bike conflict but i'm pretty sure that might have just been an excuse. I think a lot of people (myself included) dislike e-bikes for the purist elitism reasons plus a little bit of jealousy that you get to the top of a 60 minute climb panting and dripping with sweat, only to be joined by a super casual e-biker who rolls up blasting tunes from a Bluetooth speaker and barely breaking a sweat.

But really, they're fuckin rad for getting my 72 year old dad out for a spin and they're good fun to muck about on. Any decent rider will want more than the speed limiter allows (Australia limits to 25kph, dunno what the rest of the world does). I think they actually require those stupid balloon tyres to stop them wrecking stuff as they accelerate and also under braking in steep spots.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
bit of jealousy that you get to the top of a 60 minute climb panting and dripping with sweat, only to be joined by a super casual e-biker who rolls up blasting tunes from a Bluetooth speaker headphones and barely breaking a sweat.
Sounds familiar :drag:

Any decent rider will want more than the speed limiter allows
I was interested in modding mine but the more I ride it the less I think it matters. I can pedal it past the 15mph assist on the flat fine, 15mph is plenty for any mtb climb and descending I just don't need an assist at all. It's not like I have to pedal it down one of those stupid motorways they put in WC tracks nowadays. Who knows maybe I'll de-restrict it one day when the novelty's worn off. But I honestly don't mind pedalling it above the assist anymore on the rare occasion it's required. I actually rode it on a 20mile XC ride with an unfit mate the other night and left the assist off for all the climbs. I was glad of boost to get my drunk ass up the hill home from the pub after though. :headbang:
I think they actually require those stupid balloon tyres to stop them wrecking stuff as they accelerate and also under braking in steep spots.
Er... nope.. Those things ruin even Ebikes. I'm perfectly capable of positioning my weight correctly to not spin out under acceleration and controlled braking with a slightly heavier bike isn't exactly rocket science thanks.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Er... nope.. Those things ruin even Ebikes. I'm perfectly capable of positioning my weight correctly to not spin out under acceleration and controlled braking with a slightly heavier bike isn't exactly rocket science thanks.
Well that sounds boring. Full noise all the way I reckon.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
If you're only around for a few days I wouldn't waste your time climbing anything except maybe to get over to another valley (lift assisted) this can be done on a DH bike easily so I'd probably just go with that.
An Emtb battery would be done after 2 climbs of the Plenney/Mont Cherry
This is good advice, thanks. Hadn't really thought of it that way (battery per climb). I probably won't have the luxury of a full day away. I was thinking of doing some sort of mega-tour between towns and valleys, and recharging while having lunch somewhere, but that's not really likely to be a possibility. I guess I'll try renting a big trail bike, and doing some runs with my boys, and then some runs by myself.

I'd genuinely never even heard of Kenny Smith before this thread. Is he the US/Canadian Luke Cockburn or something?
Who's Luke Cockburn? Kenny Smith is a Whistler local (originally from the BC interior) known for gnarly lines. He's a badass rider, but doesn't have the bag of tricks to be a slopestyle rider, so has focused on train gaps, ridiculously steep lines, and rowdy riding. I'm pretty sure he's one of the few that can make his living riding his bike.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
This is good advice, thanks. Hadn't really thought of it that way (battery per climb). I probably won't have the luxury of a full day away. I was thinking of doing some sort of mega-tour between towns and valleys, and recharging while having lunch somewhere, but that's not really likely to be a possibility. I guess I'll try renting a big trail bike, and doing some runs with my boys, and then some runs by myself.
TBH I can't really see a hire place loaning you the charger to take out riding. The Shimano charger on its own costs £150 and is quite bulky.
It takes 2hrs to charge from empty to 80% but 5 hrs to fully charge. (Don't ask me how this works though).
Probably more chance of somewhere letting you hire an extra battery.

Last edited:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Trail issues aside. If you can ride an e-bike on your trails and you are having fun, go for it. Just don't call what you're doing mountain biking. That's what the rest of us are doing. Which other human powered sport can you strap a motor on your equipment and still try to claim you're doing the same sport??

none

@Toshi & @Gary you guys aren't mountain biking. You are offroad e-mopeding. I don't care how crappy the motor on your bike is, it's still a motor. And unless you turn it off for the descent it's helping you power out of corners faster and hammer through the flat sections faster.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Not if we don't pedal out of the corners. Sometimes I do... sometimes I just can't be bothered.. pedalling is pretty over rated TBH... I fucking would if I knew you were anywhere nearby tho. and in BOOOOOOST

FWIW I probably only ride my bike down actual mountains about 10 days a year these days but have regularly ridden all sorts of bikes down hills in the woods since before those stoners in Cali "invented" their stupid name for it. They can keep it. I'm just a bike rider (road, bmx, XC, 4X, DH, moto, pedalec...) always have been. probably always will be.
"Sport" to me means competition and following rules. Riding bikes means way more to me than that.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
And unless you turn it off for the descent it's helping you power out of corners faster and hammer through the flat sections faster.
Ps. I'm loving the fact you think this is a negative. Only a completely retarded DHer would not want to be able to do both of those things!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
what's that last one??
That's these new-fangled e-mtbs. Pedelec implies that the juice is issued either with a cadence, or on these fancy ones, a torque sensor. No throttle, which is why these aren't mopeds despite the peanut gallery's insistence.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
That's these new-fangled e-mtbs. Pedelec implies that the juice is issued either with a cadence, or on these fancy ones, a torque sensor. No throttle, which is why these aren't mopeds despite the peanut gallery's insistence.
no throttle?

one sec ...

:rofl:

ok, whew. now, sure there is. it's just foot actuated instead of grip/hand actuated.