Quantcast

e*thirteen and 10spd cassettes?

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
I checked the FAQ's and saw a few mentions of 1x10 drivetrains in the XCX thread but I'm still left wondering if there are any compatibility issues with e*13 products and the emerging 10 speed cassette standard.

I'm looking to build up a 5 inch trail bike this summer and already have a new GuideRing (32T) for it that didn't work out on another bike. I started thinking about going with the recently announced X.7 drivetrain parts with a 1x10 layout and then got concerned about compatibility between the chain and GuideRing. If I choose to go with an LG1+ or SRS+ guide will there be any issues with the jockey wheel? If the answer is no then all is good in the universe. If the answer is yes, will we be seeing 10 spd optimized guide and chainrings from e*13 in the future? I'd like to start putting together my components but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
sorta related, I got a buddy that is real interested in doing the 1x10 b/c he currently runs a 1x9 and misses his granny. Would be cool to see some 1x10 AM drivetrain set ups...

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I run a Rival 10spd set up with an XCX on my cyclocross bike. I use a Truvativ Stylo 1:1 crank and E13 Guidering. No issues with the 10spd chain and Guidering, or with the XCX guide, other than your normal rub in the extreme high/low gears. I can't comment on the jockey wheels though.

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
I checked the FAQ's and saw a few mentions of 1x10 drivetrains in the XCX thread but I'm still left wondering if there are any compatibility issues with e*13 products and the emerging 10 speed cassette standard.

I'm looking to build up a 5 inch trail bike this summer and already have a new GuideRing (32T) for it that didn't work out on another bike. I started thinking about going with the recently announced X.7 drivetrain parts with a 1x10 layout and then got concerned about compatibility between the chain and GuideRing. If I choose to go with an LG1+ or SRS+ guide will there be any issues with the jockey wheel? If the answer is no then all is good in the universe. If the answer is yes, will we be seeing 10 spd optimized guide and chainrings from e*13 in the future? I'd like to start putting together my components but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself.
Our GuideRings should work with a 10 speed rear setup. The lower Idler pulley shouldn't see any additional wear due to the 10 speed cassette...I believe that the overall cassette spacing is the same as a 9 speed offering.

Cheers,
philip @ e*thirteen

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't so worried about additional wear on the jockey wheel from the spacing between high and low gears as I was with the width of the chain and the spacing between side plates. The same concern for the GuideRing. I haven't had a 10spd chain in my hands to compare the difference in width to a 9spd chain. Good to hear that it is working well on the cyclocross bikes. I'll start buying parts as my paychecks allow.

michael t

Chimp
Nov 9, 2009
Additional Field Testing info:
Steve Peat used e*thirteen guide rings all last season with great success on his 10 speed SRAM drivetrain parts.
Michael