Quantcast

e.thirteen by the Hive

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I must be missing something, this has to be posted already:

"The Hive proudly announces a merger with chain retention manufacturer e*thirteen. Independently, both companies are dedicated to designing and manufacturing industry-shaping cycling components. Together, we’ll build on our shared philosophy of strong engineering principles and quality manufacturing to deliver even greater innovation to a discerning customer base. Neither company would exist without loyal customers and industry families, so we thank you for being an integral part of our progress and inspiration. In the near future, we’ll be revealing several new products to be released under a shared brand. In an effort to get you back on the bike instead of in front of the computer, we’ll keep this short and sweet:"

http://e13bythehive.com/

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
It has been discussed to death in another thread, however this is the first confirmation I have seen that the rumor is truth.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
Pretty sure a lot of people will agree when I say I wish all the e.13 guys the best of luck with the new venture @ the Hive. I don't doubt that they wouldn't agree on the merge unless they could guarantee & maintain the same level of product and customer service we have come to love and expect.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Stoked for this. Its going to be a great breath of fresh air that will allow e13 to fufill its potential

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Despite that it was mentioned that both offices will remain open.... Will be interesting to see if e13 remains on the east coast in the future....
Just hoping that everyone keeps their jobs.

Cranks do look sick though!

Wonder if we'll now see a new guide mount standard released to be more friendly with bb30?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Yes the do look sweet! Rumor has it they will be the some of the lightest DH cranks on the market. Have high res pics I will link to soon so you can seem good!

Looks like they added some mass to em.

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Relevant points, imho:

- No steel pedal thread inserts
- Weight: 870g: Crank weight: 759g (165mm x 83mm) / BB weight 111g.

From SickLines:
Gravity Light Mega Exo 165mm (83mm) (arms+bb) 794 g
Shimano Saint M815 170mm (83mm) (arms only) 762 g
Shimano Saint M810 BB 83mm w/sleeve 96 g

Bottom line for me is that they aren't any lighter than the proven tough Saint.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Relevant points, imho:

- No steel pedal thread inserts
- Weight: 870g: Crank weight: 759g (165mm x 83mm) / BB weight 111g.

From SickLines:
Gravity Light Mega Exo 165mm (83mm) (arms+bb) 794 g
Shimano Saint M815 170mm (83mm) (arms only) 762 g
Shimano Saint M810 BB 83mm w/sleeve 96 g

Bottom line for me is that they aren't any lighter than the proven tough Saint.
Saints are not all that tough.:shocked:

Good weight catch they may have added some mass to them before release. Have to weigh the pair we are testing and see what they say.

Last edited:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Another relevant point: just 30g heavier than an Atlas FR crank/BB with a 30mm spindle and a (in all likelihood) much better spindle/crank arm interface.

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
I'm super pumped with the new crankset, and all the guys at the Hive are awesome...

We'll be out in full force with the crankset this weekend (starting tommorow morning) at the US Open, so everyone stop by and say hi!

-philip

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
From PB:

Details about the new DH crank are as follows:

e*thirteen DH Crank - Finally a lightweight DH crank without strength sacrifices.

* Forged and then machined 7050 Aluminum arms.
o 7050 is 40% stronger than most common hollow forged alloys.
* 30mm heat-treated cromoly spindle.
o It is 200%+ stiffer than 24mm steel spindles commonly used in external bearing cranksets.
* German DIN 32711-P3 Polygon interface provides 100% surface contact between spindle and crankarm
o Eliminates fretting corrosion - the prime cause of dreaded crankset creaking and loosening.

* 14mm pedal thread engagement + 7050 arm construction + quality pedal washers.
o Eliminates the need for costly and unreliable pedal thread inserts.

* High quality titanium-nickel hybrid spindle coating.
o Increases durability and extends material life (to just about forever). Tell your machinist friends. They might hug you.
* Standard 104 BCD
o Of course!

* Lengths:
o 165mm, 170mm and 175mm lengths.
* BB:
o Larger BB 6806 (7x30x42)Bearings carry 20% greater static load and dramatically increase BB durability.
o 68/73mm and 83mm BB shell versions.
* New: 24-38 Shift ringset option available.
o For you core freeriders who like to earn your downhill.
o Inner ring bolts to outer ring requiring no inner ring tabs on crank.

* Weight: 870g: Crank weight: 759g (165mm x 83mm) / BB weight 111g.
* MSRP: $349 w/BB and BB install tool.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Plus one here for me on that!
Q: Will e*thirteen still produce product in the USA?
A: Yes, All current e*thirteen chain retention products which are currently made in the US will stay that way for the foreseeable future.

this is definitely and understandable concern. about two years ago e13 began sourcing some parts in Taiwan. this was done mostly to service OE customers who assemble complete bikes in Asia (and avoid import tariffs on parts made the USA coming into Taiwan.) the parts were mostly fasteners and steel back plates for chainguide systems (LS1+, Freechucker, etc.) LG1 sliders, aluminum backing plates, turbochargers, etc have always been made in the USA and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.