Quantcast

e*thirteen DH Cranks are in

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
That's great news. I was hoping that these would come out in time for me to use them on our next review bike (Legend MKII).

They look like a solid and well thought out product that actually offers something new and worthwhile. Nice work!

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
keep us posted on that review
Will do. I'm not sure I'll be able to include these cranks on it but we'll see. They may sell out too quickly and I already have a brand new set of Gravity Lights sitting here in a box so...

I really do want to feature these bad boys in the build though and my desire to do something usually defeats the logic to not LOL.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
"I really do want to feature these bad boys in the build though and my desire to do something usually defeats the logic to not LOL."

Great to know that your review will be objective and impartial...

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
"I really do want to feature these bad boys in the build though and my desire to do something usually defeats the logic to not LOL."

Great to know that your review will be objective and impartial...
How would you get the impression that it wouldn't be objective and impartial from that statement? I WANT to feature them in the review because they are a unique new product. If The Hive approached me and said, "Hey, 'review' these cranks and we'll advertise on your site for $X,XXX.XX dollars ;);)" then I could see how you might assume that the review would be biased. That's not the case though. I'd be paying for them...

Desire = Want to put a hot new unique product on my bike.
Logic = Already have perfectly good new crankset, no need to spend the money on a new crankset just because its the new hot thing.

I may not like it even though I had the desire to buy it...

Last edited:

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Considering you said you have Gravity lites, how is that statement anywhere near true?
LOL, Nice!

maybe he weighs 120lbs
A little less than twice that...

Those things last ages if you only ride them on the internet, I mean we're talking at LEAST 20 minutes, if not more!
I only ride on the internet, it has teh sickest rox.

So, I was a bit sketched out about buying the G-Lights to be honest. How many of you personally have bent/destroyed them? I know a few people who have run them with no problems yet I always see them being bashed on the interweb. I do not doubt that people have broken or bent them but I'm wondering how often it happens. Aside from the guy from Transition who buried his pedal into a tree while in flight, breaking a chunk of pedal off into the tree I have never seen another picture of a bent set of these cranks.

Now to not be completely off topic, the e.13s appear to be plenty burly. When I bend or break the Gravity Lights I'll post a picture of them for reference and buy a set of the e.13s.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Gravity Lights?....

You're either a midget or not representative of the type of DH'er I consider myself or the predominant number of people I ride with as being.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
So, I was a bit sketched out about buying the G-Lights to be honest. How many of you personally have bent/destroyed them?
Me.

I clipped a rock with my pedal at a medium/practice run speed, and they bent pretty badly. What was really interesting was how easily they bent back with the use of a pipe in the parking lot.

For the record, I'm ~165lbs. and ride like a wuss.

--JP

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Thanks, John P. I may have to give up on them before I even try them. I'm 200# and ride like I hate the ground under me. Should have kept my Saints...

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
How would you get the impression that it wouldn't be objective and impartial from that statement? I WANT to feature them in the review because they are a unique new product. If The Hive approached me and said, "Hey, 'review' these cranks and we'll advertise on your site for $X,XXX.XX dollars ;);)" then I could see how you might assume that the review would be biased. That's not the case though. I'd be paying for them...

Desire = Want to put a hot new unique product on my bike.
Logic = Already have perfectly good new crankset, no need to spend the money on a new crankset just because its the new hot thing.

I may not like it even though I had the desire to buy it...

"a hot new unique product.... its the new hot thing"

I rest my case.

Good day sir.

I said GOOD DAY.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
"a hot new unique product.... its the new hot thing"

I rest my case.

Good day sir.

I said GOOD DAY.
Hmm. That doesn't necessarily mean that I will be biased to give it a good review. To me it means that I'll be exposing the truth about an anticipated and discussed product that many people may not own yet. People want to read reviews of new exciting products. I'll not hide the fact that I want to bring people to my site. I work hard on it and I'm proud of it. I want to feature items that people are scouring the internet for information on hence the desire to review a "hot new thing". It would be even better if it turned out to be rubbish I suppose, that would create interest and discussion I would imagine. So far I've liked almost everything I've reviewed mainly because I have a limited budget and buy things that have either proven to be a great item or come from a company with a history of producing quality products. I get pretty pissed if a product takes a dump or performs poorly and I'm not afraid to publish my experiences.

I'm excited to see if these Gravity Lights take a crap early now. Stay tuned for the review LOL.

Sorry for the derail, back to the new e.13 cranks...

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Im a huge hack and smash my pedals off of EVERYTHING ( lots of OTB flips and wild careening into the woods results)

Im glad I have Saints (original) and shocked that my Straitline pedals still work at all. Gravity Lights and magnesium pedlas scare the poop out of me.

I would like a new set of 83mm jams for my XL 11 DHR, so do I want these or new Saints?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
With the DH crank project and the XCX.ST (high clamp, low clamp, DM and E-type direct) done, I think the cassette rear CHUB is next on the list. Our engineering dept is quite magical. :thumb:

(Yes, that is a real business card)
Damn, I need a new wheelset yesterday. Ever since I saw the hubs at the US Open I've been trying to make my current wheelset last until they are available. Any chance I can reserve the first set of hubs off the production line? I can even do some early proto testing on some gnarly east coast Rox :thumb:

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
LOL, Nice!

A little less than twice that...

I only ride on the internet, it has teh sickest rox.

So, I was a bit sketched out about buying the G-Lights to be honest. How many of you personally have bent/destroyed them? I know a few people who have run them with no problems yet I always see them being bashed on the interweb. I do not doubt that people have broken or bent them but I'm wondering how often it happens. Aside from the guy from Transition who buried his pedal into a tree while in flight, breaking a chunk of pedal off into the tree I have never seen another picture of a bent set of these cranks.

Now to not be completely off topic, the e.13s appear to be plenty burly. When I bend or break the Gravity Lights I'll post a picture of them for reference and buy a set of the e.13s.
I have 4 sets of bent Gravity Lights. Question did I miss the marketing on stiffness for the Hive cranks? Really easy test; twist them axially and radially and compare them to a set of Saints.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
another bent sent of glites here. shuttling on a local hill. Minor and normal clip on a rock with a mag pedal. Mag pedal stayed perfect, crank bent like a twizzler.

Oct 9, 2006
I have 4 sets of bent Gravity Lights. Question did I miss the marketing on stiffness for the Hive cranks? Really easy test; twist them axially and radially and compare them to a set of Saints.
I am going to assume that you keep receiving warranty cranks other wise you are an idiot for continuing to buy something that obviously cannot hold up to the abuse you are putting it through.

Buy some Saints.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
So, I was a bit sketched out about buying the G-Lights to be honest. How many of you personally have bent/destroyed them? .

3 pairs of gravity lights and 2 pairs of moto-x's and 2 sets of husselfelts.

never damaged a pair of saints...

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Right now the two best cranks on the market at Saints and RaceFace Atlas FR i'd say. Everybody else is down the list in one way or another. The e13s show great promise, and I'd have faith in them based solely on the fact that I haven't really seen a product from e13 thats crap yet. Even the cheap stuff works damn good.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Right now the two best cranks on the market at Saints and RaceFace Atlas FR i'd say. Everybody else is down the list in one way or another. The e13s show great promise, and I'd have faith in them based solely on the fact that I haven't really seen a product from e13 thats crap yet. Even the cheap stuff works damn good.
*speaking while putting Gravity Lights up for sale

I've run the Saints and the Atlas FRs and I think you're right. Compared to everything else they stand out. It would be nice to have a third viable option in the e.13s.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Me.

I clipped a rock with my pedal at a medium/practice run speed, and they bent pretty badly. What was really interesting was how easily they bent back with the use of a pipe in the parking lot.

For the record, I'm ~165lbs. and ride like a wuss.

--JP
bent mine too....didn't crash or bump into anything...bent them in a G out....that's pretty SAD....

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
bent mine too....didn't crash or bump into anything...bent them in a G out....that's pretty SAD....
Geez, That's enough proof I suppose. I guess I'll be selling off the GLs and holding out for a set of the e.13s. Hopefully they're as good as they are claimed to be. If they are they'll be giving the Saints a run for their money.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I know some big name pros are riding the Atlas FR's, but I saw one of Shek's teammates bend one the first day at Massanutten last year. Maybe just a bad first run?

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
I am going to assume that you keep receiving warranty cranks other wise you are an idiot for continuing to buy something that obviously cannot hold up to the abuse you are putting it through.

Buy some Saints.

What does this have to do with anything? I was simply sharing a different experience to an earlier poster who stated that the G-lites worked well for him, and the other riders that he knew. I agree that burlier cranks would have been a wiser choice for my riding style, however crash replacing them was cheaper at the time(s) then a whole new setup. I do have Saints on my bike currently. Thanks for contributing...Bro!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I don't know anyone who's had gravity light cranks last more than 5-10 days of real dh riding.

I seem to be the only guy (on the internet at least) who's had no problems running holzfeller OCT cranks.....for a few years now on two different bikes. I actually like the 3 piece setup because I you can switch arms between 150 and 135 rear end bikes and only change the spindle.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I don't know anyone who's had gravity light cranks last more than 5-10 days of real dh riding.
*raises hand sheepishly*. a couple years on mine, w/ no issues. granted, i'm not heavy, a hack, or a pro racer. having a slightly higher bb probably helps; pedal strikes are rare.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
*raises hand sheepishly*. a couple years on mine, w/ no issues. granted, i'm not heavy, a hack, or a pro racer. having a slightly higher bb probably helps; pedal strikes are rare.
Nothing to be sheepish about, that's great you can run them.

I just remember a few years ago when those things were showing up on a bunch of high profile riders' bikes, everyone scrambled to get a pair. The only person I personally know who kept them on is a 120lb chick. You must ride light ;)

Last edited: