Quantcast

E-Thirteen FreeChucker

Mar 19, 2008
Seattle
Howdy,

I'm looking to run a single ring guide on my Nomad 2. Because of the low VPP2 pivot on the chain stay it's hard to clock a roller around far enough that you gather much tension from the chain without crashing the chain into the bottom of the stay.

The LG1+ looks like it could work, but still I don't think the roller will grab much slack, especially running a 32 tooth ring (as I plan to). Same goes for the SRS+

So I saw the FreeChucker as an upcoming option and wondered if that might be the solution? Just skip the bottom roller and keep the top locked in with the chucker / turbocharger.

Wondering if the good folks at E-thirteen have anything to say about this idea and when the guard might become available.

Thanks in advance - Peaches

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
Not to spill the beans too early, but the FreeChucker will be a great low cost alternative for anyone looking for a proper guide with bashguard protection. For all intents and purposes, the guide is literally the best bang for the buck. Details will be issued in a press release in the next few weeks...we're pretty excited.

Mar 19, 2008
Seattle
"Few" means 3 to 5 weeks... Excited to try this combo out, plus I wanted a TurboCharger anyway.

Willing to speak to this setup on a Nomad 2? Knowing all your product is it the option you would recommend?

Didn't realize I was way ahead of the gun here. Saw it on QBP then asked my LBS about it who said it wasn't available yet.

Anyway, thanks for what info you can disclose. :)

DerekJ

Monkey
Mar 6, 2006
Taichung, Taiwan
"Few" means 3 to 5 weeks... Excited to try this combo out, plus I wanted a TurboCharger anyway.

Willing to speak to this setup on a Nomad 2? Knowing all your product is it the option you would recommend?

Didn't realize I was way ahead of the gun here. Saw it on QBP then asked my LBS about it who said it wasn't available yet.

Anyway, thanks for what info you can disclose. :)

The official press release will be on its way tomorrow so just hang tight for a few more hours. :thumb:

Set up will most likely be far easier and less dependent on straight chain rings or idler alignments. I don't see any issues with getting this on a nomad but as always the actual set up will depend (as is the case 90% of the time) on the crankset being used and whether it will allow for 73mm+2.5mm mounting.

Short answer, yes the guide will fit your frame.
Double check with your cranks manufacturer if in doubt.

amnonis

Chimp
Feb 20, 2009
just saw the press release yesterday.
Can you explain me what's the idea behind this new product. does a chain guide actually needs a chain tensioner or it doesn't. if it could work well without it why not save the weight and the bother and remove it from all your product line.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
just saw the press release yesterday.
Can you explain me what's the idea behind this new product. does a chain guide actually needs a chain tensioner or it doesn't. if it could work well without it why not save the weight and the bother and remove it from all your product line.
The idea is that it's not a chain guide at all. It's a TOP GUIDE. We don't recommend this for racing, it was not designed for that, but it is a very inexpensive and strong part that anyone can afford, and will work a heck of a lot better than some homemade setup or a front derailleur and bashguard, and will last a long, long time because it has no moving parts.

Think super muddy conditions when you are just riding for fun, and riders who don't want to perform maintenance on their bikes.