Quantcast

E Thirteen or MRP

yammj1

Chimp
Dec 8, 2005
My bike need a new chain guide. Which one will be a better choice,, E-Thirteen or MRP? I be using it on my Scott High Octane and Saint crank.

Heard that E-Thirteen is stronger but MRP less friction...:drool:

vtminuteman

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Sharon VT
E13 guides are better period. If you set-up an e13 guide correctly with an E13 g-ring there is very little friction.(no more than mrp) The composite bash guard on an E13 is stronger and slides intsead of digging or bending like mrp's two thin metal guards. And the E13 is lighter.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I almost choked when i read the title of this thread, i used to run an mrp (im not the smoothest) but didnt like it at all. The e.13 just laughs at anything you throw at it...rocks logs whatever...

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Both work flawlessly when set-up correctly.

But the e13 is much quieter and the customer service is prompt.

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
I'd been running MRP guides for a couple years now and they work pretty good most of the time, but the inner guide ring couldn't clear on many frames. So, I made some nylon guides for the top/bottom of the boomerang and that pretty much sucked.

I got my E13 06 STS yesterday and let me tell you - immediate inspection really blows me away. Its very well designed and manufactured and I can't wait to get the new frames welded up so I can mount the thing (ISCG05 too!)
e13 gets my vote (well, I have yet to ride it...)

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
ChrisKring said:
E13

Easier to set up and the bashguard will not bend.
where we ride, it's not just rocky. it's rock. iv'e run an mrp for yrs. now. i'm tired of the constant un-bending and de-burring. i'll be switching over to the e-13 before we start riding again in the spring.

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
E-13 has worked well for the past couple of years. But I am seriously looking at Gamut for this year.

Whatcha think Konahucker43 ???

Aug 2, 2005
The Island
stinkyboy said:
Love the e13 DRS, but the bash guards are not as strong as I'd like...
What exactly are you doing with your bash guard that requires you to have it be stronger? Those things are near indestructible! I've pounded the crap out of them and they always come back for more.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
This has been asked many times before and every time people get a raging hard on for the e.13 guide.

That said I have been running an MRP for a while and I have had zero problems with it. Given the choice I would take my MRP over any e.13 guide.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Both are nice, as far as bashguards go e13 hands down, ground clearance also goes to e13. Less resistance I feel the MRP is a little better and noise the MRP is quieter. I use an MRP on my DH bike, an e13 SRS on the DS bike and a e13 DRS on the trailbike.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I raced on an E.13 two years ago, and an MRP this last year. They both worked fine while just riding, but the Bash guard on the Evil definantly woked better for MY style of riding. I recently had a big crash, and my MRP is pretty screwed up. Instead of spening the time and money to fix it, i'm going to buy an SRS instead :thumb:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Since early last summer, I've been using an e13 SRS. The chain has yet to fall off. I love the bashguard. Instead of catching/bending like an mrp could, it just slides over something w/o even a dent. The e13 are really solid.

I haven't owned an mrp, but i've ridden them. I have heard of mrp's bending. I don't see that happening to an e13.

I like e13 better.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
I am looking at the Gamut this year. Looks like they offer a polycarbonate bash guard now :thumb:

As for the other two, If you do not hit things both work great. If you hit things the MRP will be bending all the time.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
i was running an e13 but just switched back to an mrp mostly cause i wanted to run some five bolt cranks, but my e13 was four bolt..they are both good IMO

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...I ran an MRP System 1 on my old Big Hit, and have the new System 3 on my Demo 8, and I love it. It takes just a little bit of adjusting to get the spacing right, but after that, it's pretty much bombproof.

As for weight, believe it or not the standard aluminum bash ring weighs less than the polycarbonate one. I had my bashring put on the water-jet machine to get rid of a lot of excess material on the inside radius between the spider bolts.

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
E.13 is the better option i didnt drop a chain all season!!@%! Only thing i have against the guide is its a little loud (rubs on the plate) But i could fix it if i wasnt lazy. Go E.13 only bike company that has ever emailed me back within the hour CRAZY!%^#

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
What ever you read
The Gamut is one of the best guides on the market if not the best.Its easy to set up for 1,its bloody light and takes a beating unlike any other guide I have used and they weight only 260g(P40 polycarbonate bashguard) which is pretty impress if from such a good guide.

trailpimp33

Chimp
Dec 12, 2005
MRP offers so much more.. Just look at the options, hyper lite carbon race guides, super strong polycarbonate fusion guide (that wont break if tighten the bolts), the original CNCed guide (still 1/2lb lighter than E-13. Not to mention they just hired the guy I see at all the nationals to handle cust. service calls. Dude, hands down MRP. Oh yeah, I have heard that E-13 only gets some of the Big riders from MRP by offering large sums of money.....