Quantcast

E Thirteen TRS+ Tire

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Side knobs looks good and meaty. The channel between the side and center knobs looks narrow. I don't get what they're going for with the angled face on the outside back corner of the center knobs.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm also confused why they put the cups on the center knobs on what look like the leading edge, rather than the trailing one. Seems like they'd do more good trying to help out braking, instead of making it roll worse.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Because enduro is climbing.

The michelins have something similar.
I know. I don't think it makes sense there either. Admittedly, I live somewhere with real dirt, so climbing traction isn't at such a premium. I might feel otherwise if I was still in SoCal or something.

I still love those Michelins, and that eThirteen does look like it'll be a good tire.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I know. I don't think it makes sense there either. Admittedly, I live somewhere with real dirt, so climbing traction isn't at such a premium. I might feel otherwise if I was still in SoCal or something.
Yeah, soil conditions matter. I'm riding nuked clay right now, anything to keep me from spinning out up climbs is appreciated.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
They look like Maxxis to me.

They say they worked on cornering grip. I wonder how the small channel between the side and mid knobs will act..?

-Brett

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Tire looks OK, especially the revision with staggered/lower center tread and larger corner knobs.
Looks low volume/small though, like a maxxis 2.3
3/10 would maybe bang as a rear if it's all I could find.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Could be a "Tires by Wyatt" creation, hence the Maxxis/Butcheresqueness.
Doubtful e*13 actually put a seasoned tire engineer on the full time payroll.

"Wider. This is the first tire designed for wider rims. We designed the casing to work specifically with our newest 27mm carbon Race rims. Sidewall and center tread protection is in the right place to work perfectly with wider rims and prevent the shortcomings of using a tire designed for a 23mm rim on a wider rim profile. We aren’t just talking about the benefits of wider rims like everyone else. We are using them."

Hmmm, is 27mm rim considered wide these days? Maybe 5 years ago...
Seems most stuff is 30-35mm currently (and works damn good).

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
They're talking inner width. Looking at the rim profile, outer width is probably 35ish. Still kinda narrow, but not fat-bike status.
Yeah, I am talking inner too. Outer width does not really mean anything, you could have massive wall thickness resulting in a narrow inside width. The tire only cares about the inside dimension.
30-34mm inner is normal guy wide. "Dentist Plus" wide is 35-40mm. Fat ghuy wide is just dumb.
27mm is what I would call XC+ these days.

Haha......where's that fucker working these days?

I've got an incriminating photo of that dude doing a horribly awkward bowlegged no footer. I'm hoping to use it as blackmail for some free tires one day.
Last I heard he was back on the lower right side of the county freelancing it. Good guy, always comedy to ride with. Stories for daaays.....

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I wonder how the small channel between the side and mid knobs will act..?
was thinking the same. wouldn't you want to open that up a bit to allow the side lugs better penetration? nothing that a bit of cutting can't solve, but still.

of course, this is pure armchair speculation, but i get the impression that current mtb tire tread design isn't that much more technical than drawing pretty block patterns on napkins. perhaps someone out there is doing complex force vector modelling, but i thinks probably not.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah, I am talking inner too. Outer width does not really mean anything, you could have massive wall thickness resulting in a narrow inside width. The tire only cares about the inside dimension.
30-34mm inner is normal guy wide. "Dentist Plus" wide is 35-40mm. Fat ghuy wide is just dumb.
27mm is what I would call XC+ these days.
Are there even as many as 5 aluminum rims you can buy greater than 27mm internal?

All that garbage plastic stuff doesn't count.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Last I heard he was back on the lower right side of the county freelancing it. Good guy, always comedy to ride with. Stories for daaays.....
No doubt. I used to think he was a quiet guy until I got to know to him. Dude, can give me a run in a word
spraying contest for sure. Ha, I got to see him Friday night at a wedding in Pisgah. He is in Atlanta and is currently destroying lives at all the local enduro races. Good dude for sure.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Are there even as many as 5 aluminum rims you can buy greater than 27mm internal?

All that garbage plastic stuff doesn't count.
Alloy rims:
DT Swiss has a 30mm and a 40mm inner width coming out.
Spank has a 32mm inner, Easton has 30mm inner, Velocity has 30mm inner, WTB has 29mm and 35mm inner, and Specialized has a 30mm inner.

They are out there!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Alloy rims:
DT Swiss has a 30mm and a 40mm inner width coming out.
Spank has a 32mm inner, Easton has 30mm inner, Velocity has 30mm inner, WTB has 29mm and 35mm inner, and Specialized has a 30mm inner.

They are out there!
Most of those have only come out very recently though. You guys are quick!

Each of these rims weighs quarter lb or more than the aluminum rims on my trail bike and roughly equal the weight of the ones on my dh bike.
http://www.wtb.com/products/asym

With fatter tires, bigger radius wheels, and now bigger rims, it's really hilarious to me how conveniently everyone is burying how much more rotational mass is added to pedal bikes. And from the same companies who for years promoted lighter wheels as the single most important thing you can do to a bike to boost its performance.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
With fatter tires, bigger radius wheels, and now bigger rims, it's really hilarious to me how conveniently everyone is burying how much more rotational mass is added to pedal bikes. And from the same companies who for years promoted lighter wheels as the single most important thing you can do to a bike to boost its performance.
Added rotational mass and pushed further from the axis compared to 26 which means it has an even greater effect. Folks are getting played!

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Added rotational mass and pushed further from the axis compared to 26 which means it has an even greater effect. Folks are getting played!
The bigger wheel will have lower angular speed for the same bike velocity hence the even greater effect should get canceled out and not be an effect at all.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
You can pry my 26" Enve AMs out of my cold, dead hands. I'm actively looking for a third set.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The bigger wheel will have lower angular speed for the same bike velocity hence the even greater effect should get canceled out and not be an effect at all.
But.......you've ridden them right?

Climbing on uneven surfaces is all about quick accelerations and decelerations. Even lightweight 27.5s don't do it as quickly. Maybe it's a wash because they don't get hung up as easily but in a sport where constant velocity changes are the norm, the keep on truckin benefit is literally one isolated addition.

24+ is my thing :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Well the idea that you'd use weaker tires makes no sense to me. I don't like using the casings I do but tires tear and puncture. So no matter what the size 27.5 or plus crap or whatever, it's GOING to be a heavier tire than the smaller counterpart. So it's not 'no effect at all'.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Well the idea that you'd use weaker tires makes no sense to me. I don't like using the casings I do but tires tear and puncture. So no matter what the size 27.5 or plus crap or whatever, it's GOING to be a heavier tire than the smaller counterpart. So it's not 'no effect at all'.
I was only commenting on pushed further from the axis compared to 26 which means it has an even greater effect. The extra weight matters.