Quantcast

E13 Cranks on a 951????

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Just went to build up my new 951 frame and ended up spending the entire day fussing with a crank set that unless I am totally messed up wont work. I first put them on exactly as the instructions said, and they hit the seat stays. I then tried to put in more spacers and shims, take out spacers and shims and they wouldn't bolt up correctly and the bearings would bind up. I double checked the box and measured the spindle and everything is correct,but it wont work. am I correct here? I I checked here and other forums before buying them and seen nothing about them not fitting.
anyone else with this problem? anyone interested in buying them?

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
What do you mean by the bearings are "binding". From what Ive been reading the bearings come out of the box stiff and they have a break-in period. I have a the e.13 crankset installed on my DH bike and I followed the instructions and everything seems perfect except for the fact that the crank spins abit stiff.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
sent an e mail off to e13. figured best to get the word directly. I have a feeling they are not going to work. I know nothing in this industry very seldom works without some sort of modification or adjustment and maybe there is something i had not tried. They are a very nice quality item. well worth the price. from what i can see.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
perhaps stikman will chime in, he works for Intense and may be able to get an answer from someone internally who has dealt with this issue also.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
do you (or any) old cranks work easily? if they do, set it up off the bike, and lay on top of eachother. While i dont know anything about it, id think that intense/E13 wouldnt have issues, both are pretty mainstream frames. IMO

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
E13 cranks seem to have a really narrow Q-factor or something, they don't fit the new 303s either due to hitting the swingarm. Just get Saints and be done with it.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
looks like I will be going with the Saints. Too bad I was wanting to try something different. It would have been nice to know beforehand that these wouldnt fit. I guess now it will be common knowledge.

for sale E13 cranks. 83mm x 165mm. some minor scratches and scuffs from being installed and unistalled several times. Make an offer!!!

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
This is good info. Sorry for the mishap but I was going to run the E13 cranks on an Intense SS2. Looks like it'll be Saints instead.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
From my experience with Intense and Chainguides/crank set up. Talk to the Chainguide company and see what they offer for that bike. Or go on MTBR in the Intense forum and see what other people have running and how it went for them.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Sent an Email to E13 have not heard back from them. I did not contact Intense. I have already resolved to the idea that they wont work. No problem got a deal in the works to trade for a set of Saints. I only wish that if either or both of these companys would post on ther web sites that these wont work. It would save a lot of agrivation and expense. Still Stoked on the frame cant wait to finish and post it up. cooll metallic orange. Thanks go-ride!!!

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
From Philip@E13;

As far as I know, the 951 has some particularly thick chainstays...even with M815 new Saints, there is dangerously little "Chainstay clearance". Our cranks are a tiny bit narrower than the Saints, as we get a slightly better chainline across the full range of gears and of course a better Q-factor.

I think the "Chainstay Clearance" (as defined by Shimano) on our cranks run 76.5mm vs 78.3 on new Saints. I believe your rig was designed around the new Saints...supposedly 1mm of clearance when installed correctly.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
The only way I could get them to clear the swingarm was to use 2 spacers on each side. However that required to shim the chain wheel over to keep a decent chain line. when I went to put on the non drive side crank there wasnt enough spindle to properly preload the bearings or to seat the crankarm safely. Another live and learn situation I guess. Saints going on on Saturday.

Greg

Chimp
Apr 27, 2011
Norway
Hi.
Anyone with e13 cranks on Uzzi Vp?
My concern is that crankarms would hit seatstays like on 951. I was told by e13 that their cranks are about 4mm narrower than Saint.
Anyone know how much clearance is there with Saint cranks? I've sent e-mail to Intense but I haven't got a reply.