Quantcast

E13 Drs

joe dirt

Chimp
Aug 26, 2004
outside seattle
i dont know if i should get a DRS or SRS i would like to keep my small ring if possible, but i dont want to loose my chain anymore on hucks and drops period

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
The DRS will help but there is still a slight possibility of your chain moving between the two rings in really rough conditions, but it does do a great job of of keeping the der. from slapping the chain around. But chain derailment on the SRS or STS is impossible without some other sort of equipment failure. The STS system can use between a 32-36t and might give you the smaller gearing you want to keep.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Both systems are awesome. I have a 22t-36t 4-bolt DRS with a 30t cassette and an SRS with a 34t ring and 34t cassette...the 1-1 ratio on the SRS is fine for climbing on my small HT (often standing up, but I can sit down if I don't mind using a RIDICULOUS amount of seatpost), but I really like having the granny for the long climbs on my full suspension.

You really need to make the choice based on whether you want that granny ring and the potential maintenance of your front mech and cables. The chain retention is 100% perfect for me, occasional front derailleur problems aside. (Which aren't guide issues, but are worth considering. In my case, they're negligable.)

So yeah, don't worry that you'll lose chains with the DRS. Just decide if you want the mech or not, and buy whichever guide fits your choice...and since it seems you want the granny ring, just get the DRS...and take the time to have it properly set up. In fact, shoot some pics from all angles and send them to E13 once you're done; let them check out your setup and make sure it's good.

MD

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Just ride a single ring. You get so much less torque with a granny ring than a larger 34t chainring. For the last year, I've ridden 34t and 36t chainrings on all my bikes, and I've had no problems. If the gearing is too high, just stand up. You'll get a lot stronger, and you're bike will be a lot simpler, probably even lighter. Just steer clear of the road cassettes if you spend a lot of time not being shuttled.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
bikenweed said:
Just ride a single ring. You get so much less torque with a granny ring than a larger 34t chainring.
Ummmmmm...what? Lower gears=more torque.

It's funny. I know a few superstrong guys who can stand and pedal their big rigs all the way up a mountain, but the vast majority of those with a single chainring simply end up getting off and pushing, despite what they claim they can do before the climb, or how much fun they make of a granny ring. (And most of them aren't the kind of guys who will train to get strong enough to do it...that's a pretty daunting goal anyhow.) Meanwhile, I just cruise up the hill in a nice gear; the granny is especially helpful when it gets very technical, precisely because it makes a ton of torque.

If the dude knows he wants his granny ring, I say that's his choice, and there's a good reason E13 makes the DRS. This thread isn't about whether he wants a granny or not, anyhow...it's about the chain retention of the DRS, which works impeccably (for me, anyhow).

MD