Quantcast

e13 guides for DJ

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm looking at two guides, and SRS and LG1 for DJ. Any suggestions for which would be the best way to go for a 235# rider? Setup is XT Cranks, Yeti DJ with ISCG05 tabs.

It's been a long time since I setup a DJ/4x, and I'm far from smooth at this point.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Doubt it matters much. I've got both of those guides and they're both excellent.

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
Yep! The LS1+ is ISCG-05, and is the stock guide coming with the 2011 Yeti DJ. Its a little bit heavier, a little less adjustable, but all in all great for hardtail use (retention performance is nearly on par with the LG1+, as well...same sliders, etc).

You can go with either the bashguard or bashguard-less option, as well.

Cheers,
philip

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Exactly! For a hardtail, i just can't see a reason to go and spend more. It just doesn't make sense, UNLESS you're also DHing on that same hardtail. Under a good pounding, we found the LS1 to be a little less reliable for chain retention. We think its from the backplate flexing, but thats a hell of a hard thing to prove without a high speed cam.

That said, with only a 58g penalty over the LG1+, but a $100 difference....well its pretty clear to me. :D

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
if you are gonna ride your DJ bike in the local skatepark or street, as well as hucking your dirt jumps, then look at the E13 LG1 with the Taco or the E13 STS with the E13 bashguard

I run the Taco on my Banshee Rampant and fully appreciate the Taco when doing 180 disasters in the concrete bowl of my local skatepark where the Taco will touch the coping and stop the chainring from being bent off the bowl's steel coping pipe ;)

I've also had situations where I've hopped up onto a high ledge and not quite made the hop and slid along the stone edge on the Taco!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yep! The LS1+ is ISCG-05, and is the stock guide coming with the 2011 Yeti DJ. Its a little bit heavier, a little less adjustable, but all in all great for hardtail use (retention performance is nearly on par with the LG1+, as well...same sliders, etc).

You can go with either the bashguard or bashguard-less option, as well.

Cheers,
philip
Does the taco come on it, or should I mount it with my DRS bashguard?
I dont want to fold my ring while being a hack.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
You can't run a normal bashguard with it. There are options for with and without the taco, if you want a guard get the one with the taco.

Or get an SS, which is the cheaper steel version of the SRS.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If you intend on often crashes Id go straitline over srs+. Its lighter(3g over lg1+), has a thicker backplate and is more quiet.
If no bash than ls+ or lg1+ as people suggest.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
You can't run a normal bashguard with it. There are options for with and without the taco, if you want a guard get the one with the taco.

Or get an SS, which is the cheaper steel version of the SRS.

I had one of these on 4" dirtjumper bike and it was awesome. Super easy to set up. I liked the idea of using the bashguard instead of the taco to make huge cases.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
3g?!?!?!? Mark can loose more weight by shaving.
I think you missed the point. Its only 3g heavier with bash than a chainguide that uses a taco (namely lg1+). So that makes it much lighter than any full bash guide and on par with lg1+ weight at higher durability (got a few direct hits to the guide, still no problems). Thats why its worth taking over anything that uses either taco or bash.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
^^That. And have I called you an ass yet today?
Don't know if you are still looking, but I have an E13 LS1+ 32-40T guide, brand new in the box at home. ISCG 05 mount.

Just bought it, but realized too late I have ISCG-old mounts on my bike.