Quantcast

E13- Holzfeller combo????

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
So I'm having problems running my E13 SRS guide with my Truvative Holzfeller cranks on my Demo 8. If I space the guide out to where the lower piece of the guide sits flush with the outer part of the bashguard then the chain is smashed between the bashguard and the plastic of the boomerang. If dont have it quite even with the plate when I ride the chain just jumps off of the guide onto the guard and messes everything up. This is getting really annoying, it really helps to be able to pedal, I mean I may not be able to turn right, but I can pedal mighty good :)

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
What kind of chain ring are you running? Sounds to me like you've got something too thick to be properly setup with our (or any other) chainguide. As the instructions say, you need something ~3mm thick. We make some nice rings, Salsa makes some nice ones, Blackspire makes some that aren't *too* far off, etc.

Give us a call (207-772-3132) or an Email (support@e13components.com). It's incredibly tough to provide tech support on a message board like this.

--John P.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Your combination is a very common one, I am sure it is something simple that we can help with. Give support@e13components a quick e-mail and Jonas will sort it for you. Also, it wouldn't hurt to re-read the instructions. You probably will find what you need in there.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
For what it's worth, I replaced an E-13 chainring with an old Azonic DH ring, and found out that it was a wee bit thicker (i.e. could not figure why the chain bolts were rubbing on the inside plate)...So I finally saw the difference (yeah, I'm uber-sharp) and broke out the Dremel :)

Filed down the inner plate ever-so slightly and it works (and has been working) fine...That said, if I could do it over again, I would just wait and order a new ring from E-13...They are thinner than the traditional DH ring, but they don't need to be super thick anymore thanks to the best damn bash goard on the market...Btw, I have CRUSHED my Supercharger and it's a little flatter now in spots, but seems to be indestructible...Would have obliterated an Al bash guard... Yay E-13...

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Thanks for the input, it is a pretty common combo, and I was really hoping it was just something that I was doing wrong or overlooked. I tried downloading the manual but I wasn't able to really figure out what is going on, everything is set up as close to spec as I could get. I'm using a Salsa ring, but if I should be using a ring about 3mm thick than maybe I'll try something a little thinner. Well I'll give that a try tonight and see what happens, hopefully my shop has a 38 tooth chainring with no shift ramps. Thanks again, I'll see what happens this evening.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I got the same combo, Holzfeller cranks, E13 guide, and was using the truvativ ring that came with the crank. Worked fine. I got a smaller ring (E13 36t) and that worked even better. Their rings are ment to work with their guides basicly. I have a blackspire ring and it's a close match.

Blackspire rings are also pretty slim. Azonic is more like a BMX ring in a way. It's pretty thick. Good luck though!

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Li'l Dave said:
Thanks for the input, it is a pretty common combo, and I was really hoping it was just something that I was doing wrong or overlooked. I tried downloading the manual but I wasn't able to really figure out what is going on, everything is set up as close to spec as I could get. I'm using a Salsa ring, but if I should be using a ring about 3mm thick than maybe I'll try something a little thinner. Well I'll give that a try tonight and see what happens, hopefully my shop has a 38 tooth chainring with no shift ramps. Thanks again, I'll see what happens this evening.
I think that the salsa singespeed rings are pretty much perfect, but I am not 100% sure. Jonas will have an answer for you. The important part of the ring is the "offset". This is the measurement from the mounting surface to the teeth. The further the offset, the more the chainline is shifter from correct. A lot of cranksets have an advertized chainline and your chainguide has to set up to that chainline. A thick ring screws with that and you have to adjust to compensate. The issue is that the space between the bashring and chainring grows. On an SRS its not the end of the world, but on a lot of other chainguides the chain can get jammed between the ring and the outer plate. Anyways I'm rambling, just trying to share some insight into why a low offset (thin) ring is a good thing.

Dave

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I highly reccomend the E13 rings. I was running the exact same setup as you on a bunch of our team bikes. The chainguides were working just fine but rubbed a little. I had Jonas take a look at them at the US Open and he reccommended changing to the E13 ring. I was a bit sceptacle even though I had read it in the instructions so we switched one of the bikes over to the E13 ring. Presto, not rubbing. I promptly switched over the other bikes and haven't had a problem since.

Also, you can "tweak" the bomarang slightly if neccessary with an adjustable wrench to help with slight rubbing problems. That said, make sure that you have the E13 ring and the proper spacers and bottom bracket offset first.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
The standard Salsa middle chainrings are the ones that I was thinking of before. They work very well on most chainguides out there also.