Quantcast

e13, hussefelts, SC Jackal = noise?

hilldown

Chimp
Aug 30, 2005
Oroville, CA
My exp. in chain guides is limited. I have an e13 SGS on my Jackal right now and it works alright. But when I backpedal the chain gets caught up in the guide and really gets messed up. I figure unless some one can read my mind this description isnt going to fly. But if I have set this up wrong let me know. Also, theres contact with the chain and the top guide mount all the time. Not aggressive contact but a slight tick tick tick tick when I ride. Anyway thanks,

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
I'm sure an E-13 tech will be on this post shortly. From what I've heard E-13 approves bending the back plate slightly without voiding the warrantee. That might help with the top rub. Assuming that you have the spacing correct to begin with... If it is getting caught up when you backpedal I wonder if you do have everything aligned. Is the jockey wheel lined up with your chainring? The plastic that holds the jockey wheel should be flush with the bashring. If they aren't aligned maybe when the chain switches from the chainring to the jockey wheel there is too much side to side tension on the chain which is causing the pivots to bind and the whole thing to wrap up. Just some guesses from my past experience.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
It soulds to me like your cranks are bent or your ring is bent for starters. Drop Jonas an e-mail at support@e13components.com. He will take care of you.

If the guide is set up correctly, it will be basically silent on the trail.

Fro frames that have ISCG tabs that are not faced parallel with the BB shell, or for frames where the BB shell in not tapped straight (both somewhat common) it is fine to slightly bend the top of the back plate to fine tune location. This is talked about in the instructions. We're talking 1/2mm of adjustment though, you should never need more than that. There's not really any kind of "warranty" on a back plate, I mean, obviously if its made incorrectly it would be replaced, but smashing it into the ground etc.. doesn't really warrant any replacement ever.

So no matter what, get in touch with Jonas, be prepared to send a few digital pics of your setup, and he will take care of you!
Hope this helps!

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
caputo1989 said:
Mine does the same thing and its because the chain line is bad in the low gears.
What is your chainline measurement?

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Another reason could be your cranks are spaced out too far from the boomerang. (Atleast that's what my experience tells me, and me being too lazy currently to grind down granny mounts). Although I guess that depends on what cranks your'e running etc...

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
caputo1989 said:
Couldent tell you right off my head. But it sucks in my first 5 gears. Pm me if you know how to fix this.
e-mail Jonas at support@e13components.com. It sounds to me like you are running too wide of a chainline for your rear hub spacing. For a 135 rear end you really shoudl not run anyting more than a 118 spindle (52.5 chainline)

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
If you are running Hussefelt or Holzfeller I know for a fact you need to grind down the granny mounts...

COmtbiker12 said:
Another reason could be your cranks are spaced out too far from the boomerang. (Atleast that's what my experience tells me, and me being too lazy currently to grind down granny mounts). Although I guess that depends on what cranks your'e running etc...

Jonas

Monkey
Feb 11, 2004
East Coast Represent!
hilldown said:
My exp. in chain guides is limited. I have an e13 SGS on my Jackal right now and it works alright. But when I backpedal the chain gets caught up in the guide and really gets messed up. I figure unless some one can read my mind this description isnt going to fly. But if I have set this up wrong let me know. Also, theres contact with the chain and the top guide mount all the time. Not aggressive contact but a slight tick tick tick tick when I ride. Anyway thanks,
Sounds to me like your chainring may be too thick for the guide, or the backplate is spaced too far out towards the crankarm. Either way, just email me and we can go over it.

regards,
Jonas support@e13components.com

Jonas

Monkey
Feb 11, 2004
East Coast Represent!
caputo1989 said:
Couldent tell you right off my head. But it sucks in my first 5 gears. Pm me if you know how to fix this.
Hey man,
Get in touch with an email or call the office at 207.772.3132 and we can get this sorted out. You should'nt have to put up with that nonesense once it's all set up correctly.

J

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Also, make sure that you don't have any big burrs on the bash guard.

I have seen a few that hang up while pedaling due to a very large burr from a very hard hit to the bash guard. A couple of strokes with a file and your good to go.

That said, Jonas is probably right on. Get the E13 rings.